Love the site!

Options
My name is Cheryl, I have recently lost 18lbs. and was looking for a way to successfully lose the next 10lbs. I have recently injured myself, so I am unable to exercise at this point. I am going into the gym to strength train, but cardio-kickboxing class and the treadmill are out until my leg heals. This has been very disappointing, any suggestions of exercise I might be able to perform? I strained my calf muscle to the point I needed an MRI to make sure I didn't tear my achilies tendon. I am still unable to push off the ball of my foot to walk at a normal gait. I figure watching my calorie intake will help my goal to lose 10lbs. I am a teacher and one of my high school students recommended this site. I am very excited to participate with all the members here. Good luck everyone with your diet and fitness plan.

Replies

• mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    Hi Cheryl,

what a bummer! i think the best thing you can do is stay positive and do what you can do -- if you're going to a gym, there are still some exercises you can do, that will at least keep you headed in the right direction. but i understand the frustration of being partially immobilized.

now, more than ever, i would watch the calorie intake, along with the TYPEs of calories you are consuming to keep you on track. make sure you adjust your intake so as not to starve, but understanding you are not going to be as active or burning near the calories for a while.

we'll support you -- just hang in there and you'll be back to your old self before you know it. healthy bodies recover faster!!!

good luck!!
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Can you still get on the bike?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • lalaaston
    lalaaston Posts: 5
    Options
    Welcome and so sorry you have injured yourself. As somone who has three knee surgeries, I use to use yoga in bed to help calm me. Now the Wii Fit can really help you when you are feeling better. Recovery is very difficult but you will come through it!!:laugh:
  • cherylg5966
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, its appreciated and I will definately check into the yoga.
    Cheryl
  • cherylg5966
    Options
    Thanks for the support!! I am addicted already, what a healthy past time. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!!! It does feel great to be healthy.
    Cheryl
  • cherylg5966
    Options
    Thanks, the suggestions have been wonderful and help to keep me motivatied and positive.
    Cheryl
  • cherylg5966
    Options
    I haven't tried the bike, but will give it a try. When I push off my foot at times, I am still getting a pain running up my calf, so I am a little nervous.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hey Cheryl welcome to the site!I'm sorry you got hurt,but congrats on not giving up!Just stay safe too.So it depends (you should probably ask your doctor first) but even when I'm hurt or slightly injured I go swimming.It takes pressure off your joints,you can go fast or slow,rely more on your arms or legs,or vary it however you need.If you have a serious injury I seriously recommend taking someone with you in case of cramp or anything.You can also just walk in the water that burns more calories than normal walking,or do yoga or stretches in the water too.Or just normal yoga or tai chi at home is a great low impact exercise.Hope you feel better soon,Rose :)