Should I increase calories?

Options
Im currently on net 1200 cals a day and am running between 5-10 miles 4x a week... I've been feeling really bad soreness in my lower back and am wondering if increasing cals would help get rid of the pain. My running seems to have hit a plateau too

Replies

• BartCox
    BartCox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you using the exercise log to add calories in for the running you are doing? ...or are you actually eating 1200 per day even on running days?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Im currently on net 1200 cals a day and am running between 5-10 miles 4x a week... I've been feeling really bad soreness in my lower back and am wondering if increasing cals would help get rid of the pain. My running seems to have hit a plateau too
    Your starvation diet will ruin your health long term.
    Increase to the level set for 2 lbs weekly weight loss at most and eat back your exercise calories.

Forget everything you ever saw on The Biggest Loser.
    That's an encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You're body definitely needs some more calories for distance running. I'm not sure if that will help with soreness, unless you start eating more protein. For lower back soreness, it helps to strength your core muscles. Doing a move called "the Superman" will target your lower back (erector spinae) and rectus abdominis. I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of moves like this on Google or Runner's World.com.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Increasing calories isn't going to do anything about back pain.
    However with that said, you are a male. The lowest number of calories a WOMAN should ever eat is 1200. The lowest a male should ever eat is around 1500.
    So yes, you should probably increase calories, but not because of back pain.
  • khua0808
    Options
    Maybe instead of increasing calories decrease the running.. the soreness is from all of that cardio tearing away at your collagen and joints man..
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    kk Ill increase to 1500 thanks... yeah Ive been looking into core exercises but just feel weird cuz I've NEVER worked them out in my life haha. I'm not gonna decrease running cuz my goal is to run a marathon not entirely weight loss... but you're right my back, hips and legs have felt sore ALL the time for about a month
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    I eat most of the exercise calories on running days and 1200 or a little over on non-running days...
    Are you using the exercise log to add calories in for the running you are doing? ...or are you actually eating 1200 per day even on running days?
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would look at maybe upping your protein intake too, that helps me a lot with muscle soreness and recovery. Can't see your diary so I can't comment too much but I aim for 100/125g a day min.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah on my long running days MFP sets my goal at 116 and on non-running days at 45... yesterday I ate 137 g and on non-running days I usually eat around 50.... I have a bunch of protein around - maybe I'll start using it... my back/pelvis is killing me - I know it's not a fracture though because when I run the pain actually decreases to where I can't notice it at all!
    I would look at maybe upping your protein intake too, that helps me a lot with muscle soreness and recovery. Can't see your diary so I can't comment too much but I aim for 100/125g a day min.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch thoroughly after you run? One of the most common causes of back pain is tight hamstrings.
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you ramped up your mileage too much too fast. Focus on warming up, cooling down, stretching, and rolling! Maybe back your mileage down for a week or so. Are you following a training plan for your marathon or just going at it?
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah I think so its just that its hard to accept the fact that you can't run what you know you're capable of because of weakness... I don't stretch at all and just do warm up/cool-down walks but I guess I should start...
    Sounds like you ramped up your mileage too much too fast. Focus on warming up, cooling down, stretching, and rolling! Maybe back your mileage down for a week or so. Are you following a training plan for your marathon or just going at it?
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think so its just that its hard to accept the fact that you can't run what you know you're capable of because of weakness... I don't stretch at all and just do warm up/cool-down walks but I guess I should start...

Yes, please! Ask lots of questions. There are a lot of runners around here. Running is tough on the body and you really need to do everything you can to take care of yourself. Dynamic stretches before running, stretches to help you cool down and keep your quads, hamstrings, etc. from being tight. Definitely do some reading about stretching for runners....it's very important!

I wouldn't call it weakness....you're just not ready for the distance you are running yet. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should do it. I think you are on the way to setting yourself up for overtraining and being injured and on the side lines! All it takes is one injury to set you back weeks! If a marathon is your goal you should definitely seek out a training plan and follow it and ensure you're getting GOOD nutrition to fuel your runs.

Good luck!
  • utahk
    utahk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should increase calories. But due to your back pain, I'd suggest backing of the running for one or two days a week and substituting yoga or swimming. Much better for your back! Also, use a treadmill more frequently. Easier on the back than the pavement.