Working out with kids runing around..

Options
I have two kids, a 6 year old girl and a 4 year old boy and i find it hard to really get focussed on my workout because the kids are constantly running in and out and fighting and wanting me to referee! Does anyone else have that problem? I try to give them things to do but it doesnt work.

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to do your workout after hubby gets home? Maybe he can ref and keep the kids occupied? Or... turn exercise into something fun for the kids, go out for a walk as they ride their bikes along. Good game of tag will get your heart rate up! Also there's a couple of exercise vids out there with 10 minute segments. Doing one of those 3 or more times a day would probably work too.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I have a 2 1/2 year old, and a 10 month baby. Today I put the baby in her high chair with a snack, and did Wii Fit wit the 2 1/2 year old. I set up a book as her Wii board and she did the exercises with me. She gave up about 5 mins in LOL, but then went and played well I finished up.

I usually take them for a walk 3x/week. We either go to the library or to the playground.

Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have a an almost 4 and a 6 year old. I always tell them beforehand that I'm going to exercise and they have to play nice with each other. When they start fighting, I tell them to work it out because I'm exercising. I also send them to their room when they try to interrupt.

They are starting to learn that that I will rarely stop until I'm done. And if I have to stop, they are both in trouble and get whatever they are fighting over taken away until I'm done.

I figure that if they can learn that exercise is important to me, that it might be important to them also one day. They also need to learn that mommy needs me-time.
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    Im thinking im going to try and get out for walks with them and mabey do my workout when we get back and have them eat lunch while im working out. Thanks guys :)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you can afford one of those yearly passes to the zoo, it's a great way to exercise with children .. lots of hills, hehe.