Help Cooking Brown Rice

Options
Hi Everyone,

I like to think I am a good cook but I struggle with a few things and one of these is rice! (unless it is risotto/pallea)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to cook brown rice correctly (without a rice cooker)

And how much I would need for 2 people (uncooked and what this yields cooked)

Replies

• Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is the best way/recipe I have found to get brown rice cooked perfectly. I sub the water with chicken broth. Hope that helps!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Leftovers also freeze very well. Just take the leftover rice and use a measuring cup to "mold" serving sizes. Plop them down on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Stick the sheet in the freezer until the portions harden and then store them in a freezer bag.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a rice cooker? I find that I can't cook decent rice without one.
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a rice cooker? I find that I can't cook decent rice without one.
    I wish i had a rice cooker...i don't have one thats the problem! I used to at my mum and dad's house but i have since moved in with my partner and I asked him to get the microwave rice when out shopping but he got normal rice so I am screwed lol
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fool Proof Oven Baked Brown Rice

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups Brown Rice (uncooked)
    2 1/3 cups Water
    2 tsp Olive Oil
    1 tsp Salt

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 F and move a rack to the middle position. Spread the rice into an 8-inch square, glass baking dish. In a covered saucepan on the stove, bring the water and oil to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the salt and pour over the rice. Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake for one hour, until tender. Remove from the oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover for another 5 minutes, then serve immediately.

4 Servings

Nutrition Info per serving
    Calories: 117.2
    Fat: 1.7g
    Carbohydrates: 22.9g
    Protein: 2.3g
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It tells you on the package how to cook it. You should read the directions because the amount of water can vary.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    It tells you on the package how to cook it. You should read the directions because the amount of water can vary.

This.

General rule is 1:2 rice:water ratio, for brown rice I do more like 1:2.5 ratio, chicken/veggie stock is a solid way to add flavor.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i buy texamati brown/red rice and follow the direction on the label. i believe its 1 c of rice with 2 1/4 cup of water. i mix it together and put it in the microwave to cook for about 15 minutes ..make sure you check it now and then to stir it or it boils over..i put in freeze dried onion , pepper and italian seasoning when i cook it to add a bit of flavor .. when i eat the rice i typically put franks hot sauce on it when i need to taste food.