Half Marathon Training help...suggestions :)

Options
Happy New Year!!!! I am signed up for a half marathon the end of February. I don't expect to run the whole thing.. but I want to make a good effort!!! I completed a running group in November and went from close to death running 3 mins to running 20 mins straight! I workout 5-6 days a week, spin, step, zumba, Hot Yoga, hiking, walk running, and weight lifting class. Getting more fit every day:happy:

Today I pushed to run 30 mins straight then walked to a local park and ran some more...but it was a little bit of a challenge...then I hiked for a mile or so. Burned over 800 calories and feeling pretty good about it. But I need to figure out a training schedule to push myself alittle harder. I am looking for suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!!!!! May you reach your goals in 2012...I know I WILL :bigsmile:

Replies

• Brookeabs
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert but have run four so far. I checked around for a training plan when working toward my first and here's what I ended up doing: Go for a short run on 3-4 days per week. Aim for 30-45 minutes at a slightly faster than your ideal race-pace. You should be tired when you finish. Once per week, go for a long run. Run at a slower than race pace, just keeping your speed slow and comfortable. Start with an hour long run and each week increase your time by 10%. About 4 weeks before the race, drop your long runs to every other week. Your last long run should be two weeks before race day.

You may have to adjust since your race is pretty soon. I had about 4 months to train.... good luck and enjoy!!!
  • stonea22
    Options
    I have run several marathons and half marathons. I suggest that you work on your run/walk strategy and increase your long run each week to at least 10 miles two weeks before the race. Right now it is important that your body adapt to being on your feet for that amount of time and you will have greater success with run walk something like 5min run/1 min walk or 8 min run/2 min walk. \

I am training for my first half in three years after some injury setbacks in March.

Good luck! I know you will do great. Feel free to friend me and we can support each other.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon. He has a great plan for a half marathon and different levels for different runners. It's free and it got me through my two halfs successfully.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm using (at the recommendation of more experienced runners on the board) a Hal Higdon programme - you might find it helpful too:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Try this plan. It has been successful for most people. Good Luck! I run my first in April

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    LOVE HOW WE ALL ARE SUGGESTING THE SAME PLAN :)
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!!!! I am signed up for a half marathon the end of February. I don't expect to run the whole thing.. but I want to make a good effort!!! I completed a running group in November and went from close to death running 3 mins to running 20 mins straight! I workout 5-6 days a week, spin, step, zumba, Hot Yoga, hiking, walk running, and weight lifting class. Getting more fit every day:happy:

Today I pushed to run 30 mins straight then walked to a local park and ran some more...but it was a little bit of a challenge...then I hiked for a mile or so. Burned over 800 calories and feeling pretty good about it. But I need to figure out a training schedule to push myself alittle harder. I am looking for suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!!!!! May you reach your goals in 2012...I know I WILL :bigsmile:

i would try C25K its a running program. there are groups for it on here
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon. He has a great plan for a half marathon and different levels for different runners. It's free and it got me through my two halfs successfully.

Thats who/where my husband got his training plan.. I however use www.rundouble.com its helped me A LOT... Good luck in your marathon- hope to hear how you do..
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hope all goes well... for some mental inspiration, try reading Marathoning for Mortals... It was what helped me believe I could do a marathon. I bet you will be hooked after finishing! Best of luck on your training.
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the comment about a major thing is to just get your feet use to going 13.1 miles. I got roped into my first half marathon last September (the farthest I had ran before was only 4 miles!) But I was able to finish the entire 13.1 miles!! Since my feet werent use to traveling that far, that is one of the reasons I had the time I had, my lungs felt good enough to run but my feet were killing me! SO make sure you get some miles on them and get a great pair of running shoes!! And Good Luck with your run!!! I have a half marathon coming up in February too =)
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the Couch-to-5K running plan is helpful. There's an app for it too. IDK the exact website but you should be able to Google it.
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon 6 months ago, and I joined a running group that was training for it. What they suggested was running 5 days a week with 2 days to stretch and preferably do yoga on one of those days (but not necessary, but I liked to). If you would like my running schedule, you can send me a personal message with your email and I will email it to you. I started out not even being able to run more than 1 minute, and with this training schedule I completed my half marathon running the whole way with no rests or even walking. You are going to feel AMAZING after it!
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I am training for my first half marathon in March. I also am using Hal Higdon's novice training program. My goal is really just to finish and feel a sense of accomplishment. I've also been checking out Jeff Galloway's site, it has some great info too! He has lots of information about incorporating walk breaks into runs. Good luck to us!! We can do it!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help!!!! I need to start running more I can see..I have also signed up for 2 months of Hot Yoga I LOVE IT!!! It sounds like that will be a perfect compliment.

Thanks again...I love MFP
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've trained for two & completed one half marathon, and I have done one full marathon. Here are a few things I've learned & what advice I would share... Hal Higdon's training program for Novice 1 is a great program. Jeff Galloway also has a great program that is a combination of walking & running. Your goal should be to enjoy the experience itself, soak up the atmosphere, and simply finish. This is going to be a huge accomplishment, so don't put pressure on yourself for splits or a particular finish time!

Read up articles on proper nutrition and fueling. You will need to carb load especially before the long runs so that you have enough stored up blood sugar so that you don't feel exhausted during your runs. Active.com and CoolRunning.com are great resources for articles on everything from nutrition to gear to training and injuries. Their editorial staff really knows what they're talking about -- they are all pretty much elite athletes!

On those longer runs, you will need calories (GU/gels or gummies). Experiment specifically to see what works for you. Some gels can cause stomach upset or dizziness. You might find out what kind of sport drink & gels they will provide the day of the race -- try them to see if they work for you. If you don't like them, find something you do like and then take some with you the day of the race. Which brings me to another point... You will need to invest in a good hydration system if you're not running somewhere like a park with water fountains. There are backpack styles and belt systems and handheld water bottle systems. Find something that will work for you and keep hydrated on the run! They also have storage pockets in pretty much all 3 of the styles available, so you can store your gels and take whatever sport drink works for you in case your stomach doesn't agree with what the race is providing. :)

To avoid really sore muscles after your long runs, do treat your legs to a cold treatment. Use an ice bath if you can stand it, or just ice packs, or do an ice massage (freeze ice in paper cups and then peel the cup away to reveal the ice & then massage muscles with it). You will save yourself a lot of pain in the long run by temporarily "suffering" the pain of ice.

Congratulations and have a great time! It will be hard work, but the rush of victory feels so great when you complete your first half marathon on race day!