Sign yourself up for a race!

Options
Go ahead! Pick a race that will be a financial commitment for you. Pick a race that fits within your budget, but will be a big enough monetary commitment that you won't want to feel as though you have wasted your money.

Once you do that, you will HAVE to train. You won't want to waste the money!

That is how I got started. I went to the gym 1 day a week for about a month, until I started getting stronger. Then I started going 2x, then 3x for a couple of weeks... now I work out 5-6 days/wk. I signed up for a triathlon that was $95.00 (gulp) and ya know what? I DID it!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Replies

• Jeniroosen1
    Options
    Is this good enough for you? lol

I don't have my fall CX schedule yet. That will be released sometime this spring.

All mountain bike races
    2/17 Ray's Cleveland Womens Weekend (Trek pays me to coach these)
    4/28 NUE Cohutta TN
    5/12 12 Hours of Stoney Creek (solo) - Michigan (really close for a lot of my family. they can finally see me race)
    5/19 NUE Sayllmos Revenge 100 - Arkansas
    6/02 NUE Mohican 100 - Ohio
    6/09 Brown County Womens Weekend (another paid coaching gig) - Indiana
    6/16 NUE Lumberjack 100 - Michigan
    7/28 NUE Wilderness 101 - Pennsylvania
    9/8 24 hours of DINO - Indiana
  • Jeniroosen1
    Options
    Seriously though, if I don't have races on my calendar, I tend to sit on the couch and eat instead of train. When you put your money where your mouth is, it holds you accountable to yourself!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OOH!!! Nice lineup!!!

Oh, and we will definitely have to get a Ray's trip together! I'll tell my coach about it fo sho!!!
    Is this good enough for you? lol

I don't have my fall CX schedule yet. That will be released sometime this spring.

All mountain bike races
    2/17 Ray's Cleveland Womens Weekend (Trek pays me to coach these)
    4/28 NUE Cohutta TN
    5/12 12 Hours of Stoney Creek (solo) - Michigan (really close for a lot of my family. they can finally see me race)
    5/19 NUE Sayllmos Revenge 100 - Arkansas
    6/02 NUE Mohican 100 - Ohio
    6/09 Brown County Womens Weekend (another paid coaching gig) - Indiana
    6/16 NUE Lumberjack 100 - Michigan
    7/28 NUE Wilderness 101 - Pennsylvania
    9/8 24 hours of DINO - Indiana
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Signing up and financially committing to races is a hugh motivator. Once you commit you are more likely to keep training and it also gives you goals to shoot for. Let's don't forget about our partners and friends, they also put in the time supporting you. My wife supports me, helps me during my training and is at all the races. To me she's the unsung hero, my commitment isn't just monetary but to her as well.

The race itself makes all the training worth it, it definitely gives you a sense of accomplishment.

• creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for the Komen 3-Day in October. I'd say that's a commitment! :)
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I did!!!!!!!!!! I signed up for a local 5k, I've done 5ks before, but only walking...I'm completing my c25k program in a few weeks so my goal is to run the entire thing...next is an 8k in April, a 10k in August (eek...its hot in Florida during that time) and the half marathon Food and Wine at Disney in November. I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The half marathon is a bit ambitious since I'm a new runner, but I figure from here to November it should give me plenty time to train AND I'm not in any of these to win...just to say I did it. :)
  • shoover10
    Options
    I just started looking at the racing line-up for this coming spring-fall! So exciting!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm currently registered for Denver Colfax Half Marathon May 20, 2012 and the Denver Rock N Roll Half Marathon September 22, 2012, my second and third half marathons to date. I start my official training tomorrow WOOHOO!
  • chelso0o
    Options
    I did!!!!!!!!!! I signed up for a local 5k, I've done 5ks before, but only walking...I'm completing my c25k program in a few weeks so my goal is to run the entire thing...next is an 8k in April, a 10k in August (eek...its hot in Florida during that time) and the half marathon Food and Wine at Disney in November. I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The half marathon is a bit ambitious since I'm a new runner, but I figure from here to November it should give me plenty time to train AND I'm not in any of these to win...just to say I did it. :)

You've got the idea!!! NICE LINEUP!!!! And I <3<3<3 Rosie the Riveter. I have a Rosie cycling jersey.
  • chelso0o
    Options
    I'm currently registered for Denver Colfax Half Marathon May 20, 2012 and the Denver Rock N Roll Half Marathon September 22, 2012, my second and third half marathons to date. I start my official training tomorrow WOOHOO!

Yep yep!!!!!!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

You've got the idea!!! NICE LINEUP!!!! And I <3<3<3 Rosie the Riveter. I have a Rosie cycling jersey.

I am now going to google Rosie Riveter workout gear!!!!!! Where did you buy yours? LOVE that! I cycle on my rest days from running so I would love to "treat" myself to a cycling jersey if I meet my goals for January.
  • angbunny22
    Options
    I'm signed up for the Komen 3-Day in October. I'd say that's a commitment! :)

Me too, the one in Atlanta???