Eating Exercise Calories

Options
Does anyone else find themselves NOT hungry for their exercise calories? I know MFP says we should/have to eat them but I jus don't find myself "wanting" the calories - I seem to be on schedule and do just find without them most days -

Is it okay if we don't eat them?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find themselves NOT hungry for their exercise calories? I know MFP says we should/have to eat them but I jus don't find myself "wanting" the calories - I seem to be on schedule and do just find without them most days -

It's OK if you don't mind losing lean body mass and shutting down your metabolism over time and gaining all the weight back.
    If not, then eat back your exercise calories.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    it will be ok for a while, but it will slow your metabolism eventually, then when you do eat something extra, even if it's not over your allotted calories you will gain. beware.

Here's an excellent case that explains it well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

You will do well to take the time to read and understand the article; it is really eye-opening.

blessings.
  • gklangdon
    gklangdon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different opinion on this. It depends on the day for me. If I'm hungry I'll eat the exercise calories back. If I'm not hungry then I'm not going to eat them back.

I don't believe in eating when I'm not hungry. I'm learning to listen to my body and I know when I'm actually hungry and when I'm just wanting something to eat.

Best of luck to you on your journey. :smile:
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is...What is the point in excercising if your gonna eat those calories back in the long run
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ease into it, then, if you really are apprehensive. Eat your "extra" calories every other day. I usually try to eat mine every day because I know my body NEEDS it. And, it's a great way to sneak a dessert into my meals. :wink:
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You can safely finish your day with a 500 - 600 deficit ... A good way to add those extra calories is by eating nuts, peanut butter, coconut oil ... think " Protein " .... just beware of late night Carbs. In order to lose weight you do need a deficit under your daily requirement ... if you eat up to max ... you are in " maintaining " mode. There is alot of info out there that supports just about any point of view. Just find what works for you ! :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is...What is the point in excercising if your gonna eat those calories back in the long run

check out this -- you may be surprised:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I did NOT eat my exercise calories back until I reached my goal weight. My doctor told me not to. I lost 111 pounds, so obviously my metabolism did not "slow down" or die. I have kept the weight off and not regained an ounce in the past 21 months either. I do eat some of my exercise calories back now that I am at maintenance, but not all of them. You have to find what works for YOUR body, your lifestyle, etc. One size does not fit all. That being said, I am also 61 years of age. My metabolism is NATURALLY slower at my age.

Experiment and see what works for you. You will get lots of advice and encouragement here. Best of luck!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options

It's OK if you don't mind losing lean body mass and shutting down your metabolism over time and gaining all the weight back.
    If not, then eat back your exercise calories.

I love this response!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Of course it's okay. It's all just how you want to count your calories and designating some calories as "exercise calories" is artificial anyway. For one thing, exercise calories are not "magic" calories that work differently than other calories you put into your body.

And whether or not it will slow your metabolism or have you lose lean muscle *completely depends*.

What really matters is what kind of deficit you have -- the bigger it is, the slower your metabolism gets and also the more your returns diminish. For example, a 500 calorie a day deficit usually yields a 1 pound a week loss. But a 1500 calorie a day deficit never returns a 3 pound a week loss.

As for losing lean muscle, this isn't directly a function of your calorie deficit. If you want to minimize your lean muscle mass loss, you need to do strength training and weight-bearing cardio and you need to eat enough protein. (The defaults for protein that MFP definitely encourage losing lean muscle mass IMO.)

So whether or not you eat them depends on how you've got MFP set up and what kind of deficit they are providing for you and what the rest of your diet looks like. If you are trying to lose 10 pounds and you are eating close to your BMR already then not eating the exercise calories isn't going to cause you horrible problems unless your exercise is burning thousands of calories. If you are at 1200 calories a day (or less) and you are exercising 6-10 hour a week, then it might in the long run because that's a big deficit you are creating. Then again, if you have 100 pounds to lose, you have plenty of stored calories to fuel your exercise and those 300 from running 3 miles are easily supplied from your body's stores.

The thing is, most people under-report their calorie consumption and over count their exercise. So not eating exercise calories or eating only a portion of them can give you a bit of a cushion to account for this human tendency.

For me, I'm in maintenance and I use MFP only to track calories. I have a BodyMedia FIT to track actually calories burned. Then, I eat what I burn over the course of the week but not every day. Some days I'm over, some days I'm under. If my weight goes up a bit higher than I want, then I just make sure I have a deficit most days until it comes back down. So I'm not tracking "base" calories vs. "exercise" calories. It's all just calories. Which I either eat or eat slightly less than depending on my goals at the time.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Because unlike other programs, MFP has a deficit built in before your exercise. If you were to say.....eat at your maintenance and then workout out (or work off) an extra 500 or so calories that would be the same thing, but since it already has you set up to lose (with a lower calorie intake) you should (in my very humble opinion) eat some if not most of the calories you burn - so you can fuel your body properly.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    [Because unlike other programs, MFP has a deficit built in before your exercise.
    MFP isn't a weight loss program. It's a tool to monitor your food intake and exercising. You can use it anyway you want!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My MFP goal is set to 1240 calories per day so on days when I exercise I do need to eat back some calories to fuel my body. I rarely eat them all back unless I have a special occasion/meal out etc. I generally do my exercise in the evenings so I use a couple hundred extra during the day to fuel the exercise and then have my main meal when I get home from the gym. I exercise approximately 4 - 5 times per week burning between 400 and 500 calories a time so my exercise calories for the week come to 1600-2500 - if I don't eat them all then I see it as adding to my weekly deficit to hopefully lose more weight. Best thing to do is to see what works best for you. Try one month at eating them all back and see what happens. If you don't lose any weight or it slows down then eat fewer back.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 1200 net calories most days so unless I have big plans (dinner out, etc) I rarely eat them all if any.