30 day shred: equipment required?

Options
I'm starting this today, and as a former couch potato, I only have 3 lb weights currently in the house. Anything else I might need to get the most out of the workouts?

Replies

• JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    all you need are weights.
    It's a challenging, yet great workout!
    Best of luck!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    all you need are weights.
    It's a challenging, yet great workout!
    Best of luck!

Thanks!

Any weight size preferred or are my 3lb'ers good?
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    3 lb weights are fine to start with. If you haven't done anything in a while you could even do the first day without weights to see how it feels. The last few days of level 1 I moved up to 5 lb weights, but now on level 2 I am back to using 3 lb. There are a few exercises where I may start to use 5 lb as I am on day 6 of level 2.

A word of caution, especially if you haven't done anything in a while. Take it easy on day 1. :-) I had finished the couch 2 5k running program before starting this and thought my legs were in good shape. I did fine getting through the squats and lunges, BUT for the next 2 days I could not walk. In all I took 4 days off and started over, taking it a little easier that time. I have not felt that pain since but I learned to start each level easy and push myself a little more each day.

Also....I am doing 10 days per level but not every day. Average about 4 days per week, alternating with running.

It is a nice workout. Good luck!
  • hanababe
    hanababe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30-day shred and have just used 3-lb weights. It will be much harder than you expect, not just like weight lifting where you could use heavier weights to do static lifting. I would start with 3 or 5 lb hand weights. Weights are really the only thing you will need to do it.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Not so much to do with the intensity of the workout but if you have a hard floor then you might want some kind of mat e.g. yoga style for the ab work and push ups if you aren't up to doing them on your toes. Good luck!
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    3 lb weights are fine to start with. If you haven't done anything in a while you could even do the first day without weights to see how it feels. The last few days of level 1 I moved up to 5 lb weights, but now on level 2 I am back to using 3 lb. There are a few exercises where I may start to use 5 lb as I am on day 6 of level 2.

A word of caution, especially if you haven't done anything in a while. Take it easy on day 1. :-) I had finished the couch 2 5k running program before starting this and thought my legs were in good shape. I did fine getting through the squats and lunges, BUT for the next 2 days I could not walk. In all I took 4 days off and started over, taking it a little easier that time. I have not felt that pain since but I learned to start each level easy and push myself a little more each day.

Also....I am doing 10 days per level but not every day. Average about 4 days per week, alternating with running.

It is a nice workout. Good luck!

Great advice, thank you.

Yes I'm pretty much starting from scratch and I do want to start C25K as well, however it's -23 outside and icy as all get out and I don't have traction aids for my shoes yet. Hoping to get them for my birthday in 2 days :)
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My new years goal is to start this too. however, I am having serious allergies right now and can't breathe very well. I started this last fall, made it through level 2 and then the holidays hit and I let everything else get in the way. I will be doing a slower version, (probably more like 3 active 1 rest day.) this I know is what my body responds to. i am more interested in loosing inches vs. weight. I also alternated between 3 and 5 lb. wts, depending on the day and level I was at.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    [
    Yes I'm pretty much starting from scratch and I do want to start C25K as well, however it's -23 outside and icy as all get out and I don't have traction aids for my shoes yet. Hoping to get them for my birthday in 2 days :)
    [/quote]

This may seem like a dumb question, but what are traction shoes?

Yikes! -23! Do you really walkrun outside when it is that cold? I'm a bit of a whimp. Born and raised in California and it is a beautiful 80 degrees right now.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what are traction shoes?

Yikes! -23! Do you really walkrun outside when it is that cold? I'm a bit of a whimp. Born and raised in California and it is a beautiful 80 degrees right now.

Not a dumb question!

Traction aids for your running shoes are slipped over your shoes, and have some sort of device like spikes or coils that bite into the snow and ice so your don't break your hip on your your first 100m. There is ice everywhere this winter since we've had relatively mild weather (for us) on and off causing a melt and freeze pattern and some freezing rain. I see people out running in this cold and worse all the time, so it must be ok, i just haven't done it myself...yet. Not really looking forward to freezing my lungs but if you want to start running in January around here, it's what must be done.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    OMG

Day 1 Level 1 completed.

I only took one 5 second break and my calves failed during the skipping on the first circuit, lol. Used the 3 lb weights. I was very close to vomiting after I was done. I still feel nauseous as I sip on my homemade protein smoothie. Now I'm just wondering if i'll be able to get out of bed in the morning hehe.

Go couch potatoes go!
  • weimawhat
    weimawhat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just go at your own pace. I did 2 months of it and just took 2 weeks off for vacation. I will be getting back at it tomorrow. After I went through the first 30 days, I started alternating between levels and found it to be a more challenging workout for the 2nd 30 day. I use 2 - 5 lb weights and I still can't use 5 for everything but I have a long way to go from being in good shape!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You got through it! Well done.

I'd suggest you do some streching before bed to minimise the 'discomfort' in the morning. :smile:
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Crap, I want to start this but I'm a massage therapist so if I get too sore, it will be hard for me to work. I already do a lot of strength training and lunge in the course of massaging but I don't know about not being able to walk. lol I think I'm only going to do it 3 days a week in any case.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Learning how to use the quote function. And can't delete a post just edit. Hmm
  • nborsh22
    Options

That's why I do C25K on the treadmill. I am a weather wimp (in Michigan) and need to get the runs in in the morning before work. So luckily we have a treadmill at home and I stick with that.

Someone mentioned stretching before bed....I second that! I think that was one of my problems on my first 30 DS attempt as well as not drinking enough water after and ibuprophen would have helped too.
  • nborsh22
    Options

Crap, I want to start this but I'm a massage therapist so if I get too sore, it will be hard for me to work. I already do a lot of strength training and lunge in the course of massaging but I don't know about not being able to walk. lol I think I'm only going to do it 3 days a week in any case.

I would just start slow to see how your body reacts. It didn't take long to adjust to it, I just way over did it the first time since it seemed like I could get through it without much problem. But in the end I did too much. :-)
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    I'd love to do treadmill but we don't have one and it's not in the budget. I'm not interested in a gym membership for now. So out I go, besides I rarely get any fresh air in the winter so it'll be good for me.
  • Shesabigstar
    Options
    Thanks for posting about the 30 Day Shred. I've started back on the healthy wagon (again!) but haven't exercised much yet at all. Totally forgot that I have the 30 Day Shred DVD. I know it's an intense workout... not sure how well I'll do on day 1, but off I go to work out! :)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    OMG

Day 1 Level 1 completed.

I only took one 5 second break and my calves failed during the skipping on the first circuit, lol. Used the 3 lb weights. I was very close to vomiting after I was done. I still feel nauseous as I sip on my homemade protein smoothie. Now I'm just wondering if i'll be able to get out of bed in the morning hehe.

Go couch potatoes go!

I watched the video first and said I can do that, well when I did it for the first time I thought I was going to vomit , pass out or both in the first 5 minutes! I pushed through, because of watching the biggest losser if they can vomit then so can I.
    After doing the routin I told my daughter about the strong urge to vomit and quit, but I push through. She told me that is fight or flight response and it is good to push through, because I won by pushing and my body will except the new routin better next time.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    thought my legs were in good shape. I did fine getting through the squats and lunges, BUT for the next 2 days I could not walk. In all I took 4 days off and started over, taking it a little easier that time. I have not felt that pain since but I learned to start each level easy and push myself a little

This was me too! I do tons of cardio on different machines, so I too, thought my legs were in pretty good shape. Uh uh! I quickly found out they weren't! I just did my second session today - we'll see how I feel tomorrow. I did take it a little easier and it showed on my HRM.

If you are just starting to work out, I'd recommend even lower impact than what they show and just do the arm movements - dont try with weights until the 3rd or 4th session. If you overdo it, you may not want to continue.