Broccoli and Cauliflower

Options
shanna0413
shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
I love both and I want to start eating more and more veggies and cut out more of the processed foods I eat. What is your favorite way to eat veggies? I usually just steam my broccoli and cauliflower so i would love some new ideas.

I also eat pretty much every veggies there is, so I'm not picky. I would just love some new healthy ideas to do them up.

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Our absolute favorite way to eat cauliflower is to cut it in pieces (or slices), sprinkle with some olive oil and sea salt, and roast in the oven. Maybe 400 for 15 minutes or so. Look on allrecipes.com for garlic cauliflower for the exact timing and temperature. We leave off the garlic. But we eat two heads at a time for two adults and three teenagers. We do this with brussel sprouts also and my kids fight over them. ;)
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Though I haven't tried it, I've read about several people melting light Laughing Cow cheese wedges and serving that with the broccoli or cauliflower. They have a lot of good flavors and 35 calories a wedge--not too shabby!
  • weetamoo
    weetamoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your vegies?

Cut into 2 inch pieces, toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, spread out on tray or pan, and roast at 425 for about 15 or more minutes until a touch brown on edges. Adding a little chopped garlic is good too. Cauliflower , onions, carrots, squash, asparagus, parsnips, fennel are some of the vegies I do this way.
  • innerexp
    innerexp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For cauliflower particularly, I steam it in the microwave for 5 minutes and then spray a saute pan with an olive oil spray, add some crushed red pepper and garlic. Once that's heating up, I add in the cauliflower and a little salt and pepper. No addition in calories and a big add in flavor!
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I love to make mashed cauliflower!!!!!!!!! So good!!
    Boil or steam cauliflower till it is good and tender then pulse in a blender our food processor till it is mostly smooth. Add butter or butter alternative, italian seasoning, pepper, or whatever seasoning you like. To me it is almost like have mashed potatoes. So good. I make a whole head of it about once a week,

P.S. my 8 year old daughter loves it too, so added bonus!!:happy:
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok, this might sound weird, but bear with me.

In a saute pan add about 1 TBS oil. Add 1 TBS minced garlic. Once it's heated, add your broccoli and season to taste. I usually use salt, pepper, and a little red pepper flakes. About 5 min before it's cooked, add 2 TBS of honey. Finish cooking.

It's delicious! I've had people who swear broccoli is evil who eat it and fall in love!
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love to make mashed cauliflower!!!!!!!!! So good!!
    Boil or steam cauliflower till it is good and tender then pulse in a blender our food processor till it is mostly smooth. Add butter or butter alternative, italian seasoning, pepper, or whatever seasoning you like. To me it is almost like have mashed potatoes. So good. I make a whole head of it about once a week,

I do the same and love love love it! I actually just had some tonight. I got a recipe for it I think off Hungry Girl, and I put in Fat Free Half and Half and Brummel and Brown while making it. Oh and garlic! It was good. But this time when I made it, I just baked a whole head of garlic for 45 minutes (with olive oil drizzled on it), then I steamed the cauliflower, and then I mashed the two together and keep it in a big bowl in the fridge. Then I can decide later if I want to add butter or seasonings to it later. I usually don't because it already tastes so great!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Roast broccoli with garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. I like to add just a tad of velveeta right at the end. So good!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is best just steamed. I love cauliflower fried in a little olive oil then steamed in lemon juice. Soooo yummy!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make a MEAN Broccoli salad - one that even my husband enjoys because it has fresh-cured thick-cut apple-hickory bacon right from my smoker!

Cauliflower I have to be in the mood for, BUT I do prefer the colored varieties for making pureed soups with lobster, garlic, and a lemon-olive oil.
  • Afaida
    Afaida Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I boil turnip and carrots together and mash them. I love this.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i like to steam either, or both, chill, and use it in my salads. yummmmmm.
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    omg so I just tried roasted cauliflower. I took a cup of cauliflower and a couple tablespoons of onions and put them on a baking sheet and drizzled olive oil over it and sprinkled some garlic and then baked it. DELICIOUS!! I wish I would have made more. Thanks for the idea!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Though I haven't tried it, I've read about several people melting light Laughing Cow cheese wedges and serving that with the broccoli or cauliflower. They have a lot of good flavors and 35 calories a wedge--not too shabby!

That sound good...I am going to try my LC over some broccoli and cauliflower..Thanks
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump