Blood work is in.

I just started dieting 1 month ago, down 6 lbs.

My cholesterol should be 200, its 219.
My tryglycerides are 159..borderline high.
LDL should be 130, its 143.
Oh, and my thyroid.............normal is from .27 to 4.2.....mine is 8.15!!!!!

With that being said, my doctor told me to go on a low carb low fat diet. I went to pick up my blood work as I need it to see another Doctor. I wanted to ask the doctor just how much, he told me to look it up online!!!!!! (unless I wanted to schedule an appointment with him so he could tell me.) The doctors office was empty. They asked me if I wanted to make an appointment, I told them...."no thanks, I will take your advice and play doctor online." with my very sarcastic New Yorker attitude.

So, I dont want to be on Atkins.......but my question to you all is....how many carbs and fat grams for the daily intake are considered to be "low?"

Anyway, thank you for letting me whine on here. Also , does the thyroid meds make you lose weight?? (that would be nice, lol)

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy New Year!!

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Low carb AND low fat?
  • Colleen268
    Colleen268 Posts: 25 Member
    yes
    low carb and low fat.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    You do not need to go on a low-carb low-fat diet if you don't want to. Weight loss with any safe method will help bring your cholesterol and triglycerides down. The key is to find something you'll stick with. If you LIKE eating lots of protein and few carbs, then go low-carb low-fat. You might look into the south beach diet or the paleo-diet (though I think paleo is higher fat, but focused on fats in nuts and things like that). Otherwise, find something else you think you can manage and go for it.

I suggest you explore this website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00616

There's some great info there.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    No the Thyroid pills dont help you lose. I've been HYPO for years and the only thing that has worked for me is calorie consumption. I use to blame my thyroid but it was my over consumption and laziness on why I was fat.

Its the type of carbs not really how much. Same with fats. If your eating a large simple carb, high sugar saturated fat diet (which you probably are) You need to change to complex carbs less sugar, better fats.

You can try out a slew of "diets". South Beach, Sonoma, Meditterrian, 17 day, etc etc..

I personally did South Beach and still go back to it. I find it the easiest, least restrictve and more long term. You just need to find something that works to your life style.
  • Colleen268
    I am lazy :) I was hoping it was my thyroid and not the cheeseburgers, lol. Thanks!!! I am on a 1500 calorie intake now and have been doing it for a month. Its working slowly. I will be getting a treadmill soon to help take the weight off.
  • sniven3
    sniven3 Posts: 3 Member
    As a medical professional basing this info on research, there is DEFINITELY a strong correlation between an impaired thryoid (your levels are high because you're thyroid is on overdrive drive to work right and is not) and weight gain. Now that is not to say that once you get your thyroid levels corrected, your genetics, diet and exercise aren't a HUGE part of it. It's a package deal but it'll be easier to get in shape when you're not working UPHILL. Keep at it and be your own advocate!
  • Just got diagnosed with a bum thyroid myself about 3 weeks ago-meds are making me feel better, so I have more energy-which is allowing me to work out more instead of sleep! No drastic weight loss from the meds,but feeling alive again is definately great!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I just started dieting 1 month ago, down 6 lbs.

My cholesterol should be 200, its 219.
    My tryglycerides are 159..borderline high.
    LDL should be 130, its 143.
    Oh, and my thyroid.............normal is from .27 to 4.2.....mine is 8.15!!!!!

With that being said, my doctor told me to go on a low carb low fat diet. I went to pick up my blood work as I need it to see another Doctor. I wanted to ask the doctor just how much, he told me to look it up online!!!!!! (unless I wanted to schedule an appointment with him so he could tell me.) The doctors office was empty. They asked me if I wanted to make an appointment, I told them...."no thanks, I will take your advice and play doctor online." with my very sarcastic New Yorker attitude.

So, I dont want to be on Atkins.......but my question to you all is....how many carbs and fat grams for the daily intake are considered to be "low?"

Anyway, thank you for letting me whine on here. Also , does the thyroid meds make you lose weight?? (that would be nice, lol)

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy New Year!!
    What a quack your doctor is.
    You should fire him and get somebody competent.

Seriously, that's bad, bad, bad advice. Sorry to be so blunt.
    Get a second opinion at least.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 391 Member
    yes
    low carb and low fat.

I would say look up the info on South Beach its low carb and low fat! A lot of Dr's suggest it!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 189 Member
    Keeping your carbs under 150 is very reasonable. It is pretty easy, just have salads instead of sandwhiches and sub vegies for rice. It easily accomodates a serving of blueberries or apple - if you want to keep some fruit in your diet.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Someone may have already pointed this out, but regular cardiovascular exercise is one of the best things you can do to lower your cholesterol. From 2010-2011 my cholesterol went from borderline high to almost optimum - I was most definitely not on a low-fat (or low-cholesterol) diet, but I did increase my exercise tremendously.

Fat is not bad. Trans fats are bad, but natural fats in foods like peanut butter, avocado, salmon, eggs, etc. are perfectly healthy for you as long as you are eating a balanced diet and eating a reasonable number of calories.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    I don't know much about low carb or fat diets but I do know that I would start looking for another dr.....
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I know you don't want to do Atkins, but it can work. My MIL went to Atkins after being diagnosed with a wheat allergy, and she lost a ton of weight and ALL of her bloodwork numbers improved a LOT.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Please get another doctor who is more helpful. The results of your lab tests and the advice that goes along with it should have been part of the original visit where you had blood work drawn. And being started on Synthroid/levothyroxine won't necessarily make you LOSE weight, but it will make you feel better. And TSH tends to keep going up....which can be quite dangerous for your heart. Good luck to you.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    below 50 carbs a day is considered low, as far as fat... that'll be hard. you're going to need to increase your water too! i suggest starting out slow, lots of lean proteins & green veggies, very little bread products or fruits. good luck!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    I can't imagine any doctor telling someone to look on-line regarding their health! I would get a second opinion and I would make damn sure the first doctor knows why.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    The problem with asking about diet advice is that everyone thinks their diet is best. You all would probably go crazy if you knew what I ate. My diet is 1500 cal/day. 60%fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs. I am now off all diabetes meds, all meds actually, cholesterol is 155. BP is low, been eating this way for 7 months. Blood sugar is stable all the time. training now for a triathlon.

The key is to find a plan that works for you, then follow it. I don't recommend my plan for anyone. It works for me. Works very well for me, but maybe not you. What ever plan you pick, the key is to stay with it. Bouncing around different plans is diet suicide.
  • I am seeing a bariatric certified physician. He has instructed me to follow 80gm of carbs per day max. I would also look for a new doctor. His response showed his lack of interest in your health.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    These days you really need to do lots of research yourself and make educated decisions with your doctors. My suggestion is to reduce sugars and white flour, white potatoes, white breads, and sweets and increase your exercise to help with your triglycerides. You might look into Dr. Joel Fuhrman's information. He promotes increasing vegetables, salads, fruits, beans and seeds to improve your health. Perhaps look at the American Heart Association website for some healthy guidelines. Best wishes on your journey to better health!
  • Colleen268
    Thank you everyone. I have already looked into another Dr. My blood pressure was 90 over 70. I do feel so tired right now, but I thought it was because I was a mom of 3 boys, working 2 jobs, and just trying to live life. If I get a medicine that will give me the energy to work out, I will FIND the time. I have been feeling anxious lately and they say that the thyroid could make you feel that was as well. I am just looking forward to 2012 being a "me" year to get healthy.

I really can't say enough good things about the MFP people. Thank you so much for your kind words. Not one person judged me here, and it felt nice. So from the bottom of my heart, thank you.