how do i stay motivated

Options
it seems no matter how much I want to lose weight ...by the time night comes i lose all self control...i do great all day then i just lose it after 7-8 pm ......... ..any tips ?

Replies

• thinner2008
    Options
    it seems no matter how much I want to lose weight ...by the time night comes i lose all self control...i do great all day then i just lose it after 7-8 pm ......... ..any tips ?
  • Thielet
    Thielet Posts: 7
    Options
    Go to bed earlier! Just kidding...if that could help, I would be sleeping 18 hours a day!

Honestly...your best bet might not be to quit eating at night, but to eat healthier. While it hasn't yet helped me to lose a ton of weight, I stopped buying loads of unhealthy snacks. Instead, I have plenty of popcorn on hand (not the butter-slathered kind), fruits and veggies, and I have some crackers, but mostly ones with whole wheat, lots of fiber, and reduced sodium. I try to stay away from chips and snack mixes cause I totally disregard the labels and just eat out of the bag...which isn't wise no matter what you're eating!

Some things I LOVE to much on: Salt-free Matzo crackers (make fun, go ahead, but they're a million times healthier even than Wheat Thins!), frozen green grapes (take a handful, wash them, and set them in a small bowl of water. Stick them in the freezer, then in about an hour go back and get them. It sounds funny, but not only do they last longer, but you're actually working for your snack!), and popcorn with a sprinkle of Reduced-Fat Parmesan cheese and a dash of seasoned salt. These treats help if you're, like me, one of those folks who sometimes wants to eat just out of boredom!

Best wishes!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    There are no real tricks to it. I felt the same for years wanting to quit smoking. i would get a couple days or weeks in and something would happen and i would pick one up. Food, Alcohol, Sex. lots of things can give us comfort when we need it. It takes time, disipline and positive mental attitude to keep those things from controling us. none of them are really bad in and of themselves and some will say all are needed, ( i agree with needing the first and last any way im not a big drinker any more) but all can also lead to personal problems.

Learn every day keep notes of how you felt when you did something ate something. the more you know your self the more warning you will have before the cravings pull you off track.

never give up, dont beat your self up and dont let any onr else beat you up when you slip. YOU must make the choices and YOU will get the benifits.

keep up the good work i hope my rantings help.

Tim
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    i do that if i eat a large carb meal so the answer has been to eat less carbs
    it seems the minute i have eaten a large ammount of carbs i binge
    so as my evenin meal is the main carb meal of the day i have had to cut the carbs down and fill up on veg that way i dont binge
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    you might like to read this

http://carbohydrateaddicts.com/cadfnd.html
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    My first thought was to go to bed, too. that's funny. :laugh:

Anyway, it takes time to get used to not eating. Try eating a little later, yikes, did I say that, it might help, really, or do some easy exercise at night, I walk my eliptical at 8:00 at night and drink 16-24 ounces of water while I'm at it. Also, try warm soup or something really cold, different things work for different people. Other people suggest having cold cereal or hot oatmeal as a night time snack. If you are used to eating at night, it will take several days, maybe weeks to undo that habit. Try reading or do a puzzle or take up stitchery or something else that will occupy your time and hands.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have done the same thing you are doing in the past when trying to loose weight. I was always craving sweets so i'd go for high sugar cereals, cookies, ice cream, whatever I could get my hands on.

I finally found a snack that really satifies my sweet tooth adn it's not bad for you. I buy the FREE cool whip in the freezer section and i put some, like a half cup... maybe less, in the bottom of a cup and then I will slice up some fruit like strawberries or peaches, or even just take a handful of blueberries or rasberries and put them on top. It tastes really sweet but it's still pretty healthy and is suprisingly extreemly low cal.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    lol for me
    if i get super hungry i do go to bed...cause i usually get hungry at like 10pm
    have a huge glass of water and go to bed haha

but if its at like 7-8...maybe work out? distract your self
    thats what i do
    :)