Lose the Baby Weight

Options
Hi everyone, I had my 3rd baby - a girl - at the end of October. I put on about 30lbs or so during my pregnancy, and now have 14lbs to lose. However I'm giving myself plenty of time, 4 or 5 months to do so. I'm breastfeeding so will not be counting calories, but I should lose the weight gradually with a healthy diet and a few gentle walks every week. Good food for mum is good for baby. I am using myfitnesspal to monitrt my weight . Good luck to you all and Merry Christmas!

Replies

• Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome chick and good luck! oh and a merry xmas to you :)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had my first child (a boy) april 26th and Iv lost 25lbs since then. Iv got 14 to go til first goal of 140lbs. Good luck to you!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    hi, i also started when my baby was about 6mths old (she was my 5th) . i did count cals as i didn't start looosing weight until i did. at the same time i added a breast feed to my exercise to up my cal allowance. there are heaps of websites to help you work out about how many cals breast feeding using (roughly!) Good luck and enjoy your christmas with your beautiful children.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also have had a baby recently (he's 3.5mo now) and I also have an almost 2 year old boy so I understand the baby weight. :) Welcome, I'm new here too!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    good luck with that. my kids are in their 20's and i couldn't lose the pregnancy weight. thankfully we weren't allowed to gain too much back in Ye Olden Days.

I got 5 lbs from each pregnancy. Still.
  • entranced
    Options
    Welcome!

I know exactly how you feel. The use of pregnancy as an "excuse" to yourself for not exercising or dieting...it's a feeling that keeps biting at you. Honestly though, it's all about diet and exercise. As long as you can keep pushing it, you'll get results. Most postpartum moms just don't do anything about the extra pounds they put on because they think "it's normal, it's pregnancy." But the truth is, they don't have to have the extra baby fat. The weight won't just disappear by itself, it's not going to go away. You need to work at it just like anything else. Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm just trying to state the cold facts and hopefully let you see a new perspective. The 30 lbs you gained shouldn't be too hard to drop if you stick to schedule. 4 or 5 months is a good amount of time. You just need to set up a plan to stick to it!

How do you lose the extra pounds? You've heard it before- diet and exercise. You need to find an exercise regimen that works for you and most importantly (probably the most important part of all), stick to it and stay committed to it. It's easy to make a schedule and follow it for a few days, maybe even a week. But to see results, you need to follow the schedule until you reach whatever weight you desire. Don't quit too early, and don't quit halfway. As for actually making a diet and exercise regimen, there are plenty of self-help books out there. I have a friend who was in the same situation and tried to lose weight for half a year. It took her a long time, but she finally made it. She bought a book and created an exercise and diet regimen just for her, and she stuck to it. She lost weight. That's all there is. It's not magic. Sure, it took her a while and I she needed support (mainly from me), but I pushed her and she finally slimmed her body back down to her goal (I won't reveal it for her sake). I found a review of the book below in case you're interested. There are a lot of "lose weight" books out there, but only a few are dedicated specifically for postpartum moms. The diet and exercises you follow should be made just for moms. You need to make sure you're doing the right regimen or else you won't get the right results. So, in summary, find the right diet and exercise regimen (something dedicated for moms), plan and out and cater it to fit your lifestyle, and then DO IT and stick to it. If you want a slimmed body and results, you'll have to work for it. But the thing is, it's not impossible. If my friend can do it, so can you!

http://allthingsbaby.co.cc/the-fit-yummy-mummy-plan/

If you have 5 months to do it, you only need to lose about 6lbs a month, which is COMPLETELY doable! Keep us updated!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Hi there - good luck and you CAN do it!

Now that that's out of the way, you actually *can* count calories while breastfeeding - you can account for the extra breastfeeding calories in your food diary. Set up your profile normally and set it to something moderate like 'lose 1/2 lb per week'. MFP will calculate your calories such that you can lose 1/2 lb per week. *Now* go into your food diary and click on 'add food' and in the search box type in 'breastfeeding'. This will give you several options that you can choose (for example, 'exclusive breastfeeding' which shows up as -500 calories) - when you add one of those options to your food diary, it will *bump up* your calorie goal for the day. So if MFP gave you a daily goal of 1500 calories, and you go in and add 'exclusive breastfeeding', it will then bump up your goal to 2000 b/c that item is set to give you extra calories on your goal. :-) If you're not nursing exclusively (if baby also takes some formula or other foods) there are other options you can choose from which add fewer than 500 calories.
  • mumof5
    Options
    hi, i also started when my baby was about 6mths old (she was my 5th) . i did count cals as i didn't start looosing weight until i did. at the same time i added a breast feed to my exercise to up my cal allowance. there are heaps of websites to help you work out about how many cals breast feeding using (roughly!) Good luck and enjoy your christmas with your beautiful children.

I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT I HAVE NOW LOST 3 BABIE SIZES!! 2 TO GO BEFORE I AM BACK TO MY PRE BABY WEIGHT! I MUST WARN YOU THOUGH, GRAVITY DOES TAKE HOLD AND WITHOUT THINKING YOU MOVE DIFFERENTLY WHEN YOU HAVE CHILDREN SO 62KG NOW IS NOT THE SAME AS 62KG BEFORE KIDS! AS LONG AS YOU FEEL HEALTHY!
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And you have a very sensible plan :smile:
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Its so hard to lose the baby weight, it took me until my son was 18m old to stop saying oh I've put on weight but I've just had a baby. Now Ive lost 40lbs, am back down way below what I was when I got pregnant and Im much happier :)
  • lovechocolate
    Options
    Thank you all for your supportive messages and helpful advice!! I will take on board all that you've said.
  • Jendulin
    Options
    Mother of 2 knows exactly what you are going through welcome and feel free to add me if you would like

11335269.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    hi,

I still have 10 pounds of baby weight and my baby is 2 years!!!!
    I know how you feel, but slowly and steadily you will get there!!!!!:smile:

BTW, add me if u like!
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I know how you're all feeling! I gained 55 lbs with my first pregnancy, lost 45 lbs and got pregnant again when he was a year old, then gained 35 lbs and lost all of those no problem since i'm running around like crazy. My baby is now 9 months old and I'm still BFing, but those last 10 lbs just aren't budging. I've never considered dieting until the last few months, I always just upped my workout. Now that I'm in a new town and a sahm, I NEED to start counting calories. I just need to figure out how to curb the late night eating and I'm positive I'd be losing it; I just can't seem to keep my willpower going at the end of the day!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Your post is so refreshing. I see so many new moms come in trying to eat 1200 calories.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome from one newbie to another. I just had my 2nd baby this past June! Lost all the weight and then some by Sept. Nothing drastic either. I had a huge apple craving while pregnant and it continued on past the birth! It was my candy of choice!

I didn't do any cardio either(just started adding it back in Sept.). I basically got to my prepregnancy weight by watching what I ate and some strength work when I was finally able to.

Now of course I am having a bit o' trouble maintaining. My son is 6 months old, my oldest is 6. I think it might be the holiday cookies and such for me that is giving me problems...because I was so good before the holidays Anyways, welcome.
  • byebyebabywt
    Options
    How do you get the "Momma Pooch" to go away???? My baby is 4.5 months old and I still have 20lbs to lose (I gained 50lbs!). It seems like all 20lbs is in my lower abdomen....=(
  • mumof5
    Options
    How do you get the "Momma Pooch" to go away???? My baby is 4.5 months old and I still have 20lbs to lose (I gained 50lbs!). It seems like all 20lbs is in my lower abdomen....=(

PERSISTANCE - LOTS OF FAT BURNING CARDIO AND LOADS OF PERSISTANCE - I HAVE 5 CHILDREN THE OLDEST IS 12 THE YOUNGEST IS 2. I HAVE LOST 4 BABY SIZES IN 2011!! YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME SHAPE AS BEFORE BUT YOU CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT, TIME AND PERSISTANCE...YOU CAN DO IT :)