Why am I GAINING weight?

Options
Whaaaat? I know it's only been a few days but I just weighed myself and the scale is telling me I've gained four pounds. I've gone to the gym every day and I've been consistently under my calorie count for the day. Could it be because I just ate? I didn't eat four pounds of anything though :(. Help :frown:

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Could be because you are below your calorie count. Are you eating back your exercise calories? Would be easier if you opened up your diary so we could see what you've been doing.
  • GeriKM
    GeriKM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Could it maybe be due to the time of day you are weighing yourself? I've noticed with my scale at home, if I weigh myself first thing in the morning before I eat versus at night after the day is over there can be as much as a 3 pound difference. Or, maybe you are building some muscle from working out? Or retaining some water from something you ate?
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Could be your muscles are retaining water from the gym,or could be water retention from high sodium. Could your time of month be coming? That can make you bloat too.
    It is actually really common to "gain" weight during the first 2-3 weeks. Its almost like an extra challenge . Those that fight through see results! I bet you will loose it all,then some next week.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is not the explenation.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah,and also try to weigh yourself the same time everyday. I weigh in the mornings ,before I eat,after a BM and in the nude :P
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium amounts, make sure you're drinking enough water. It could be water retention either from excess sodium, or sore muscles. Even if you're eating too few calories as someone else suggested, I don't think a few days would be enough to screw up your metabolism and certainly not enough to make you gain 4 lbs of fat.
  • runnergirl999
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time every day. It could also be water retention. Did you eat a lot of salty food? Is it that time of the month? My weight can fluctuate from day to day for no apparent reason. Don't get discouraged or feel like giving up. It will all balance out in a few days.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When you start working out, your muscles retain water. Just keep going.The logjam will break.
  • Kim28dav
    Options
    I am in the same boat!!!! Been going to the gym now for several months. No weight coming off but my endurance is so much better!!! I think I am building muscle and if I keep up my routine I will start to see the scale move. I do feel a little different in my clothes. Good luck!!!
  • Kim28dav
    Options
    I am in the same boat!!!! Been going to the gym now for several months. No weight coming off but my endurance is so much better!!! I think I am building muscle and if I keep up my routine I will start to see the scale move. I do feel a little different in my clothes. Good luck!!!
  • Kim28dav
    Options
  • Kim28dav
    Options
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    Only weigh yourself in the morning, always at the same time of day. It happens. Don't let it freak you out. Stay focused and keep with it. You willsee results
    Could it maybe be due to the time of day you are weighing yourself? I've noticed with my scale at home, if I weigh myself first thing in the morning before I eat versus at night after the day is over there can be as much as a 3 pound difference. Or, maybe you are building some muscle from working out? Or retaining some water from something you ate?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No. You did not gain 4 pounds of fat.

It's water retention.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No. You did not gain 4 pounds of fat.

It's water retention.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    It could be from water weight (caused by excess sodium intake and/or water retention), hormones (think "time of the month", that causes weight fluctuations) or even constipation (gross but possible). Make sure you're eating enough fiber, drinking plenty of water and not going crazy with sodium.
    With that said, weight is just a number on a scale. If that number increases suddenly when you've done everything right, there has to be another factor in the equation, like the ones I mentioned above. A higher number on the scale doesn't mean inches or body fat gained, so don't worry! Chances are it will go back down just as fast as it came up.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Well, if you're weighing yourself in the evening, then it's not accurate, at all. Your weight fluctuates during the day. Your true weight can be found first thing in th morning.

Also, are you drinking your water? Metabolism slows down when it's in a deficit. So, keep it humming with your daily 8 glasses, if not more.

If you are significantly below 1200 cals a day, then you won't lose weight and you'll retain water. Your body may be shocked by the sudden caloric intake and gone into starvation. If that's the case, then make sure you meet your calorie goal.

Lastly, it may be what your eating. Sure, how much plays a role, but what you put into your body makes a huge difference. Rule of thumb: include lean protein to your meals, have a veggie serving with as many meals as you can (they're fibrous and as such help maintain regular digestion) and watch your starch, sugar and sodium counts. If they're over, odds are they're making you retain that weight.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Also, everyone above makes a point.
    I only weigh myself on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, totally nude, in the exact same place. It's the most accurate way to weigh yourself, because if you step on a scale after eating, it shows not only your body weight but also the weight of the food and liquids you consumed.
  • reneegd
    reneegd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? If its every day then I would take it down to 1x a wk. Our weight fluctuates day-to-day just because of things like water retention and internal changes. So day-to-day weight gain or loss is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention you will drive yourself crazy with watching the constant fluctuating. I also think that weighing yourself first thing in the morning before you eat is best.
  • MechanicalKid1
    Options
    You should weigh yourself in the morning before you eat and after you use the bathroom for the most accurate results. Also, make sure you have no clothes on. If you weigh yourself at night, with clothes on you should take off about 3-4 pounds from what the scale says.