Looking to Buy a Digital Food Scale... Any Recommendations?

Options
I've never owned a proper food scale before, and I was waiting to see if Santa might bring me one now that I'm starting to take my weight a little more seriously. He did not, so now I'm looking at buying something. Portion control has always been a problem of mine (along with the usual eating the wrong things, and not getting enough exercise) and I find it difficult to estimate the proper amount of food.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one that they use.... or one to avoid... I don't know how crazy they get with features, if any. It's just a scale, right? But there must be some that are better than others.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor one that I bought from either BBB or Target.

We have had two and both are accurate...tested it on items with weights.

I would just make sure it has ounces and grams both. Some only have one or the other.
  • MiMiofeight
    Options
    I have a weight watchers digital food scale that is great. You can buy them wherever they have a center
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I bought one for $4.99 and as long as I use it I find it works great....does nothing but weigh the food. I find I use a measuring cup more to control my portions. I am not into spending money and it works for me.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital one from Wal-Mart. I think it was betwee 10 and 15 dollars. I love it because it has grams, ounces, kilograms and pounds. It is easy to use as well as being small and compact. I did have one that wasn't digital before. It had a bowl with it. I hated it because you would have to manually change the dial to 0 and then weigh the food. It also broke quite easily. I hope you find one you like.
  • smbelyea
    Options
    Thank you very much, all! I suspect that weighing my portions is probably going to scare me a little when I find out just HOW MUCH extra I've been eating in the past. :-(
  • crudd12
    crudd12 Posts: 63
    Options
    Tomorrow Aldi is having a sale on them for 9.99! I don't know if you have Aldi in your area but I'm buying one from them! Good luck!
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    target!!!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Mine's just a generic 14 dollar one from Canadian Tire. It's been really handy and made a difference in logging my food.

A good feature is the one where you can "zero out" items on the scale i.e. put the plate down, push the button to zero it out so the scale reads 0. Then put an item of food on, get the measurement without the plate being included. You can continue doing this with each additional item of food you put on the plate - it's a handy feature.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I got this one. http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Kitchen-11-Pound-0-1-Ounce/dp/B001S0ZJUM/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1325612716&sr=1-13

Digital, fun colors and weighs liquids too.

$18.

It is also really thin, so it is easy to store. I keep on top of my microwave. It is about half an inch thick. You could easily throw it on your bookshelf. Also glass top, so super easy to clean.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have this one, only mine isn't branded with "The Biggest Loser":
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Pounds-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325614844&sr=8-1

It's cheap (under $20), measures in pounds and grams, and you can remove the top glass part to clean it. I've had it for a few years now and it's still going strong!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I have the same one that Jadedone has (the thin black one from amazon) and I absolutely love it. I need to get back into weighing my foods... I've slipped a bit with the holidays (...starting around Halloween). But I have been using it to weigh out my cat's food. He's on a diet now too.
    I hope you have good luck finding a scale you like.

Cat
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just bought one from Target: http://www.target.com/p/OXO-Softworks-Food-Scale/-/A-11144550. It's the OXO brand and I think it was around $25. It's great! It does grams and ounces and also zeros out when you weigh something in a dish. :)