is Jugo Juice as healthy as it seems for a lunch snack?

Options
Hey there! I work in the mall and have been trying to avoid the food court at lunch (you may have seen my post a few weeks ago about where to go for lunch in the mall), and I discovered Jugo. Thought I lucked out, then added them in to my diary and my sugar went over! There seemed to be a lot of fat in the wraps as well (24) I believe... am I missing something? Or is that going to be as good as it gets? Is it secretly fatty? I watch them make the wraps in the morning, seems pretty healthy to me, along with the smoothies..they are just fruit and 100% juice.

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I mean-- al smoothies are is sugar. Yes, they have whole fruit which is great, but they're mostly juice and yogurt, which are just empty calories from sugar. You're much better off eating whole fruit that will keep you full (plus, don't you think you'd be a lot more full eating 5 apples, instead of the juice of five of them in a smoothie?)

All of the wraps are over 700 cals and have a high degree of fat because they are filled with cheese.

Just because something is marketed as healthy, doesn't mean it actually is.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I go to Jugo Juice all the time. I prefer the smaller sizes, but I wouldn't worry about going over on sugars if that's how you're getting it. A much better alternative to the food court :)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    http://www.jugojuice.com/nutritional-info

no they're not as great as they seem.
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My sister works at Jugo Juice. The good thing about it is that they all have a pamphlet of their nutrition in all their smoothies and their wraps. They aren`t actually as bad as most people think but it also depends what you get as well. Next time you work, grab a pamphlet.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I mean-- al smoothies are is sugar. Yes, they have whole fruit which is great, but they're mostly juice and yogurt, which are just empty calories from sugar. You're much better off eating whole fruit that will keep you full (plus, don't you think you'd be a lot more full eating 5 apples, instead of the juice of five of them in a smoothie?)

All of the wraps are over 700 cals and have a high degree of fat because they are filled with cheese.

Just because something is marketed as healthy, doesn't mean it actually is.

Ok, I don't know about the smoothies in particular, but Yogurt and fruit juice is not "empty calories".... yogurt is full of milk proteins, plus the sugar in it is lactose. yes, a little saturated fat but you need that to. also cholesterol is a hormone precursor so yes, too much is bad for you but we need small amounts of it that you can get from animal products like milk.

If the smoothie has whole fruit in it obviously you are getting some fiber, which will keep you full and help with slowing the digestion of those sugars and also fruit juice is full of other vitamins and macronutrients like iron the body needs.. it's not 100% sugar like a soda or redbull or crap like that. It may not be your definition of "healthy" but it's HEALTHIER than thousands of alternative.

Are you telling her to skip the smoothie and just say eff it and go get a burger at the food court?? I mean come on.
  • ruthiepiercey
    Options
    Jugo Juice is definitely a better choice than most of the other fast food choices available. If I ever eat there I try to get a water with a half wrap and a snack size smoothie Usually sharing the smoothie with whomever I'm with. I used to prefer Subway over anything else when I worked in the mall, at least you can load up on veggies. The best thing for you to do (provided time permits) is to make your own healthy lunches with your fruit or veg and whole grains and such. It's hard to commit to making your meals in advance for work but it pays off in the long run. Especially if you are watching your sugar, fat and sodium intakes because they are hidden in all fast food choices (in the sneakiest of ways).