I dont think i'll make it much longer...

Options
As I've mentioned in a few posts before my mini goal is to lose 50 pounds as soon as possible because that's the amount my doctor has asked me to lost before trying to have another baby after losing my first.

It took me three years to get pregnant this time and i lost the baby almost three months into the pregnancy. I know that I'm only 21 but a baby and a family is something that I really long for.. I dont want to wait until I lose all the weight because I realize that it could take a long time in order to lose that weight..

I want to try to still conceive and eat healthy & exercise at the same time.. Should I wait and conceive after I lose the fifty pounds just in case, or should I go ahead and try to get pregnant but live a healthy lifestyle at the same time that way it's still a possibility to keep taking the weight off while I'm trying to start my family?

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make..

Replies

• mschelseajane
    Options
    Sweetheart, I think it's important to take care of yourself before attempting to take care of another human being. I personally would just wait if I were in your position. Everyone wants a family and unconditional love at some point, but honestly I think it's best that we learn how to love and take care of ourselves first. Once you're a mom, you're a mom 24/7 for the rest of your life! I'm 21 as well, and believe me, we have PLENTY of time to have babies..
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You would be best to follow your doctor's directions. It is extremely difficult to try to lose weight while being pregnant. You may feel like it is a long time, but I have lost 45 pounds in 4 and a half months. If the risk of a miscarriage is greater because of your weight, why would you want to increase your risk of that heartache again?

Take time to look after yourself. As chelsea jane said, you have plenty of time to have babies. I didn't have my first until I was 28 and that was okay by me.
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honey, follow your dr.s orders. Pregnancy is so difficult anyway, you gain weight (and you should), and it can be difficult to get around if you already have extra weight to carry. I was 32 when I had my first child, and 35 when the next two came. Both pregnancies were normal and my "babies" are now your age! My sister-in- law was 44 when number 3 came. So you have plenty of time, and your baby will need a healthy and energetic Mom to keep up with him (or her). Good luck!
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is really hard on your body and you want to be in the best shape you can be. I was 23 when I had my son and was 50 pounds overweight to start off with. I spent more than half of my pregnancy on bed rest (which is NO fun!) because my blood pressure was so friggin high. Trust your doctor. They wouldn't tell you to wait unless they thought it was important. I want another child but I am waiting this go around till I am better physical shape because I don't want to miss 4 months of life just laying around in bed.
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I understand how much a person wants a family. I have epilepsy and due to medication issues we finally got to TTC 3 years after we decided we wanted to try. After all that it still took another 9 months to get pregnant. So, I do understand how difficult it can be to wait when you want a family so badly. If I didn't put my health first, it would have been not only dangerous to me, but my baby. I did not want my son to suffer because of my disregard to my medication issues.

I was 220 when I got pregnant 2 years ago. The one thing my doc told me was he would like me either to gain only 10lbs, not gain any or even lose weight while pregnant. Well, none of those happened. Instead I did gain 20lbs, but got it off immediately. I ate very healthily while pregnant which is why I think everything went so well. I also tried to keep active.

I have watching what I eat especially portion size since March 12th. In 2 months I lost 21 lbs. You should give yourself some time to lose it. You should try to give yourself from Memorial Day to Labor Day and see where you are with your weight then. That would give you 3 months. You could lose 10lbs or even more depending on your activity and eating habits in a month. Although I don't recommend that.

You need to take care of yourself. Having a healthy Mama helps make a healthy Baby.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    :heart: lots of good, loving advice. patience will be another trait that will help you in mothering, too.

so, i ditto all that's been said--follow your dr's advice for the best pg outcome and healthy baby as possible. :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You are stressing yourself out and that stress won't help you with losing weight or getting pregnant.

Getting to a healthy weight and in shape is not only good for you but it is good for baby! It will help you during pregnancy, child birth and when baby is here to keep up with baby! :bigsmile:

Listen to your doctor and start taking the steps you need to take to get healthier and if a baby happens to come along during this time then that is how it was meant to be. If not, you will be in shape and have a healthy routine and be able to get back into fighting shape after baby!

:flowerforyou:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Wait! Lose the weight, get out, start exercising now to help lose the 50 pounds. Keep up the exercise then after you become pregnant too. If you stay active throughout the pregnancy it will help you feel better, have a better delivery and help you keep up this lifestyle. A lifestyle that you can then pass on to the little one so they won't have a weight problem. Which is very important.
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    The best gift you can give your future baby is a healthy mommy!! Listen to your doctor, and work on the weight loss first. You're young and will have plenty of time to have a child. When you're healthier, you'll be that much more prepared, and since that will take time, you'll be even that more happy to be starting a family! Best wishes.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I love that you are so dedicated to the baby you have yet to bring into the world, but have to agree....a healthy mommy is the best for your baby. I too am wanting a baby....but I am waiting to get as healthy as I can so that the body I conceive my baby in is the healthiest, kindest most ideal place for my baby. Since you already have had troubles, your doctors advice is good advice as you may find it easier to conceive if your body is in a healthier state.

Sweetheart....you are 21 years old. And I know you have heard this before......but it is true, you have alot of time. I am 36 years old......technically you could be my child.......I chose to wait. Take the time it will take to get the weight off.....make a goal for a year....focus more on your weight and diet and less on conceiving.........make that your reward...........

Good luck honey and hang in there. :flowerforyou: