Is a heart rate monitor a good investment?

I've recently started doing workout videos at home, in addition to going to the gym, and am now looking into getting a heart rate monitor. What I'm wondering is, is it a good investment? They seem a bit pricey so I just want to make sure I'm spending money on something that's worth it.

Replies

• Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    For me personally it is the MOST important piece of fitness equipment.

It is important to know how many calories you are burning so you can make sure that you are eating enough and to track your progess plus it's really motivation.

You can't rely on the treadmill (or whatever piece of equipment) readouts - on average my treadmills readout is 60-80 calories less than what my HRM said, and if you are doing videos there isn't a way to figure out your burn, even if you do the same workout a few times a week your intensity may vary and so will the burn.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: In January most stores put fitness equipment on sale - I'm sure you could find a decent one for $50
  • Thank you for your input! It will definitely help me make a decision! :)
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    bump
  • I love love love my HRM. It helps me push myself...I mean who better to compete with then yourself the last time youdid that workout? Definitely recommend buying one!
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    I agree! It's a great investment in your health. I got a Polar FT4F Heart Rate Monitor Watch. You can get one on amazon for ~$60.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    YES. I have found that MFP way over estimates calories burned in most cases. Often the machines over estimate as well.
    This could be a big deal if you plan to eat back your exercise calories!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    It has made a difference in my weight-loss.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    YES!! I bought my Polar FT4 in July, and I use it almost every day. It's a wonderful tool and you won't regret it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I think they are fun to have and a nice tool to get a pretty good estimate of your calories burns which works nicely with MFP.
    Having said that, they aren't essential - if you can afford it and want one, go for it.
    If you can't afford it, don't push yourself to the limit to get one - it is absolutely possible to lose weight without one - I have!
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    For me personally it is the MOST important piece of fitness equipment.

Totally agree!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Yes
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Yes MFP burns are WAY WAY WAY off...

if you want accuracy...get one its important
  • naribee
    naribee Posts: 6 Member
    I love my hrm. Agreed its the most important piece of exercise equipment. It allows me to push myself further everyday but it also ensures that I am tracking the right number of calories. Highly recommend them
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    To play the devil's advocate here, HRMs are not exactly all they are cracked up to be, especially when it comes to estimating how many calories you burn. Like the treadmill or MFP, it is an estimate, not the exact number that some people make it out here to be. A lot of them overestimate the numbers, just like the machines do. The number of calories you burn is not based only off of your heart rate, it's based off of how much energy your body produces. Those are two different things.

As to whether or not it's worth the investment, I don't own one so I can't really say. But it's important for people to realize that they have limitations.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    YES. I have found that MFP way over estimates calories burned in most cases. Often the machines over estimate as well.
    This could be a big deal if you plan to eat back your exercise calories!

same here
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    bump
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 731 Member
    Mine died a few weeks back - and I really miss it. Got another one on order and don't feel like I can be 'honest' about exercise cals without it, definitely a good buy! I like www.heartratemonitor.co.uk for looking at spec, it helped me decide what brand and model to replace with (and I then used the Amazon customer feedback.)
  • Thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought a Polar FT4. I'll let you know how I like it!