i have implanon, i love it:)
  • jodidlyO
    Options
    I have a mirena - I love it!

I couldn't tolerate the pill, but this seems just fine:flowerforyou:
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have never used implanon before. I always worried about having something under my skin. I did use Mirena for about a year and a half. I didn't have any problems with it until about 6 months in, then I started experiencing nausea very regularly. I left it in for so long after the nausea because it took some time for me to figure out that the Mirena might be the cause. I also didn't want to have it taken out because I loved the convenience. I finally decided to have it removed after I did a search on it, and found that some others had experienced similar side-effects. I guess my body couldn't tolerate the hormones that it releases. It releases a small amount of hormones into your system. I believe mostly progesterone. After I had it removed, I was prescribed a monophasic birth control pill. I had a lot of nausea with that as well. I am now on a triphasic pill & haven't had that problem. I would love to know what some of you who have tried implanon feel about it. I don't like being on the pill. I have difficulty remembering to take it. Also, some of my friends who are on Mirena haven't experienced any problems, so it might be worth a try. One benefit that I loved was that my periods stopped. Loved that!
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bgillis7: I've thought about trying it. Would you mind telling me what makes you love it? Any skin irritation or other side-effects? Is it noticeable?
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena and had severe reactions to it... my body didn't accept it at all! I had it almost 3 years ago and still have problems because i had it! After every monthly cycle it feels like a have a UTI... but there is no infection when i go to the dr and i've had every test done imaginable... but it still occurs every month like clock work!
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    I've had Mirena twice (and have it now). I first got it when my eldest was 2 and a half, and by the time he was 4 I had no more periods. I eventually had it removed because my husband and I (then fiance) wanted to start trying for a baby. I had a new one put in as soon as possible after my youngest was born (he's now 3 and a half) and again my periods disappeared. I love love love love love it.
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    I used to be on the pill and I am super scatterbrained. I set an alarm to go off daily on my phone at noon that said TAKE PILL and just basically made sure I always had the blisterpack with me so I could take it whether I was at home, at work, or somewhere else. Might be an option...?
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I used to be on the pill and I am super scatterbrained. I set an alarm to go off daily on my phone at noon that said TAKE PILL and just basically made sure I always had the blisterpack with me so I could take it whether I was at home, at work, or somewhere else. Might be an option...?
    No pill I keep forgetting
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd Implanon implant and I've had no problems with it!
    I had spotting for six months or so, and a little at each change over, but no proper periods (which is lovely) since I had it fitted. It is like having a large injection, the area is numbed beforehand (of course!!). I have little scars but they are on the inside of my arm so aren't very noticeable. You can feel it if you press on the skin, but you can't see it.
    I had to go on to the implant as the pill was giving my migraine, and researching the options it seemed like the best. If you have a reaction it can be removed straight away and your fetility goes back to normal straight away too.
  • BeautifulVirgo
    BeautifulVirgo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the Depo a shot that last 3 months just go the doctor every 3mo to get the shot and your cycle stops as well..Love it!!
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I went with the iud
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena....had it put in last month. I'm 42 years old and have given birth to two children naturally. There was some discomfort when the doctor inserted it, but it was very brief. So yes, it hurt even though I've had children, but it was placed nearly 14 years after giving birth to my last child. My husband was there with me in case I needed help driving home but most people don't. I didn't either, in fact we went on a dinner date immediately following the procedure. I took pain relieving medicine before dinner, but that was it. We had a nice dinner date then I went home to rest.

It was nice having him there for support during the procedure just in case. I did feel like cursing at the doctor at one point, but of course I would never do that. LOL! Instead, I breathed through that short period of time as if I was in labor. When I talked to the doctor about this afterwards and told him that it made me feel a little nauseous, he said it's much like the feeling a guy gets when kicked in the ba**s because it's the same type of reflex. Don't let that scare you though, because it was so brief. I had cramping both in my uterus and back area immediately following the procedure, but by the next morning it was mostly gone. I go back for my follow up appointment next week and I've not had any trouble at all. I'm still spotting a small amount but it's my understanding that this will go away and I'm not likely to have periods at all over time. I'm not seeing any side effects of Mirena (weight gain or otherwise), and it does not bother my husband either. I would highly recommend it. It's nice not having to think about birth control for five years =)

Here's a link to find out more about Mirena if you want to research it. http://www.mirena-us.com/index.jsp?WT.mc_id=MIS119495&WT.srch=1

Good luck!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena....had it put in last month. I'm 42 years old and have given birth to two children naturally. There was some discomfort when the doctor inserted it, but it was very brief. So yes, it hurt even though I've had children, but it was placed nearly 14 years after giving birth to my last child. My husband was there with me in case I needed help driving home but most people don't. I didn't either, in fact we went on a dinner date immediately following the procedure. I took pain relieving medicine before dinner, but that was it. We had a nice dinner date then I went home to rest.

It was nice having him there for support during the procedure just in case. I did feel like cursing at the doctor at one point, but of course I would never do that. LOL! Instead, I breathed through that short period of time as if I was in labor. When I talked to the doctor about this afterwards and told him that it made me feel a little nauseous, he said it's much like the feeling a guy gets when kicked in the ba**s because it's the same type of reflex. Don't let that scare you though, because it was so brief. I had cramping both in my uterus and back area immediately following the procedure, but by the next morning it was mostly gone. I go back for my follow up appointment next week and I've not had any trouble at all. I'm still spotting a small amount but it's my understanding that this will go away and I'm not likely to have periods at all over time. I'm not seeing any side effects of Mirena (weight gain or otherwise), and it does not bother my husband either. I would highly recommend it. It's nice not having to think about birth control for five years =)

Here's a link to find out more about Mirena if you want to research it. http://www.mirena-us.com/index.jsp?WT.mc_id=MIS119495&WT.srch=1

Good luck!
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    implanon!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it becuase i dont have to think about the pill. i dont have to wake up and be like did i take my pill on time or not and not knowing if im fully coverd.
    with the implanon its there and dose it for you:)
    i have never had any side effects:)
    i have loved it since i got it.
    some ppl have side effects suck as there body rejecting it and pushing it out and things like that.
    i have not.:)
    only thing is when you get it your arm will be brushed up and you cant get it wet for i think 24 hours. it last for 3 years.
    my 3 years will be up april
    a nother think is like if you put a back pack on and it slids down sometimes it can catch.
    mine has never gotin wripped out or any thing though:)
    but i love it:)
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    implanon!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it becuase i dont have to think about the pill. i dont have to wake up and be like did i take my pill on time or not and not knowing if im fully coverd.
    with the implanon its there and dose it for you:)
    i have never had any side effects:)
    i have loved it since i got it.
    some ppl have side effects suck as there body rejecting it and pushing it out and things like that.
    i have not.:)
    only thing is when you get it your arm will be brushed up and you cant get it wet for i think 24 hours. it last for 3 years.
    my 3 years will be up april
    a nother think is like if you put a back pack on and it slids down sometimes it can catch.
    mine has never gotin wripped out or any thing though:)
    but i love it:)
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My wife just wears this to bed. 100% success rate.

witch-ff.jpg
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of things that require a physician to take them out of you (especially after knowing several women that have gotten pregnant while an IUD was SUPPOSED to be protecting them) - I got tired of taking a pill every day so I switched to Nuvaring - you put it in for 3 weeks, take it out for 1 week, much lower maintenance since you don't have to think about it every single day plus I can take it out myself if I don't like the side effects. But no problems so far. :-)