If there was no mfp......

Options
...... Do you think you would you would be losing/maintaining/gaining like you are now?

I was in a heated discussion with my other half today about how he thinks mfp is stupid and I could of done it on my own as you in his words can "just eat sensibly" and lose like I have! This is coming from someone who says he can't lose because its too hard

Personally I think I would have given up by now if it wasn't for mfp I had no idea about calories until I found here and I also thought you had to starve to lose weight. Being on mfp has really opened my eyes to a lot of things like just because something says low fat or skinny doesn't mean its healthy.

So what do you think?

Replies

• horizonflight
    Options
    To each their own. I actually lost only a pound or so with MFP, BUT I enjoy the company I get here and the fact that everyone is motivated. My loss came when I started on Weight Watchers (only online, it's way cheaper). I know not everyone can afford it, but I'm just saying that THAT'S what did the trick for me. I think the motivation we get here is unique and it helps. It builds new friendships also, and a place to go when you need some uplifting or when you want to show off your success. Keep it up!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Can we do this on our own? I guess yes we could. It would mean lots of effort to figure and add up calories for food and exercise. But this site makes it much easier to do that so we are less likely to stop. And there is also great support from others here.

I guess its similar to taxes. You can do everything using a pencil and paper. But a calculator makes it easier. And a financial and tax program makes it even easier and less likley that you will give up in frustration or make a mistake.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I guess its similar to taxes. You can do everything using a pencil and paper. But a calculator makes it easier. And a financial and tax program makes it even easier and less likley that you will give up in frustration or make a mistake.

Exactly! I am not sure if I could have kept up the logging on my own using a paper and pencil, not to mention the margin of error would have been huge. I always ate healthy (lots of veg, not much junk, home cooked most things) and exercised but found myself 30 pounds overweight. It wasn't until I started logging I saw how my portion sizes were out of whack. MFP makes it too easy not to log.
  • mozza77
    Options
    I did do it on my own, 43 lbs and EVERYTHING went down in a book! and it drove me nuts!!! found mfp on my shiny new 4S and I love it! Now need to shift last few pounds and help motivate mum, and i THINK that MFP will help me crack both my wine pouch and my lovely mum's "I'm too old" attitude! Having read some of the lovely supportive posts from everyone, i think that i may just have found the answer!!!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Not MFP as such, but the app on my phone has helped me significantly. I think without that app, no I wouldn't have done as well as I have. It makes me accountable now in a way I never was.

I'm having to journal now as my phone is out of commission and I HATE it. I'm only doing it so I can keep being strict. The first app going on my new phone will be the MFP app.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I do not think that I could do it without MFP- though I am sure I would have found another cal counting app- not sure how supportive the other sites are though. I can honestly tell you I thought I was one of those who could NEVER lose weight- until this site. could I have done it without MFP- NO BECAUSE IF I COULD HAVE I WOULD HAVE DONE IT YEARS AGO- clearly I didn't.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    To put it simply MFP makes it fun. Anything you enjoy doing is easier to do!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I could but MFP makes it so much easier to stick to. There is something about the interface that appeals to me and makes it simple. It's taught me to eat properly for the first time in my life. I lost 40 lbs on WW years ago and it was a struggle the entire time. I felt like I was dieting and was always hungry. This is not the case here and I am headed for a healthy weight for the first time in my life.
    I would be really peeved at my other half if he made a judgment like that. Everyone is different. He is not being very supportive and that's not a nice thing to do. I would have a tendency to hide it from him if he ridiculed me like that.
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was in a heated discussion with my other half today about how he thinks mfp is stupid and I could of done it on my own as you in his words can "just eat sensibly" and lose like I have! This is coming from someone who says he can't lose because its too hard

Technically, he's right. In order to lose weight, all you need to do is exercise and eat properly for your body. You don't need a website, Weight Watchers, the latest fad diet, or any of that in order to do that.

However, weight loss is HARD! We all know that. In my case, I have willpower issues (avoiding the gym, eating too much, eating the wrong things, etc). MFP (and other tools) makes it easier to track what you eat, how much you exercise. If you participate in the forums, you get the community support that some people don't have offline.

The person who compared it to taxes hit the nail on the mark.
  • MCDKI
    MCDKI Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have done it with and without mfp...but it is way easier to have the support. yes it is only keeping tract of in and out.....but a slip over the holidays and no recording cost me a entire months hard work 6 lbs up.....

so I agree mfp helps
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I could do it without mfp and I have. For those of us that dont need the accountabilty from others we could do the same thing with a pen and paper. MFP is just a tool.