Is walking good enough?

tammylee
tammylee Posts: 28
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Weights are something I can't do. But walking is. I walk 2-3 miles a day, and on the weekend I will do 4-6 miles.
I feel im getting a good workout, and can see the difference in my stomach.

Is anyone else only using this as there exercise?

TL

Replies

• Weights are something I can't do. But walking is. I walk 2-3 miles a day, and on the weekend I will do 4-6 miles.
    I feel im getting a good workout, and can see the difference in my stomach.

Is anyone else only using this as there exercise?

TL
  • lashonda
    lashonda Posts: 32 Member
    For the first 3 weeks it was the only exerise I did and I did lose about 11 pounds doing it. After the first 11 pounds it was like I hit a brick wall so I increased my workout by 20% and added ankle weights last week. I just got on the scale this morning and found I lost 3 more pounds last week. Walking has been good enough for me and I plan to continue to walk with the ankle weights.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    That's what I do the most.
    I try to get some other cardio like doing Turbo Jam or Tae bo but can only do it about 2-3 times a week since I have a 1 1/2 year old glued to my hip.

I've been losing weight... slowly but surely.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Walking is a good aerobic exercise. While I would recommend other things as well, if you are worried about impact or stress on the body, I would consider swimming or a stationary bike as well. These are both low stress activities that will change up the repetetive nature. Once your body starts becomming more efficient (your doctor can tell you when you are more ready if you aren't confident) you can move on to more demanding workouts. Weights are good, but not necessarily required. I had a football coach in high school give us 3 workouts for the summer to get ready for the season one year. 1 was a weight training schedule, 1 was a "vacation schedule" including running, swimming, rollerblading, and basketball. And the 3rd was if we were going to work for the summer and included shoveling, raking, mowing lawns, using a weed whacker, and lifting bags (fertillizer and such). Notice that only 1 of 3 actually included weights. The moral is, you don't need weights to get in shape, you just need good, heart-pumping exercise and motivation.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    I love my walks I feel so energized afterward and my kids love the fresh air they nap so well afterward. walking is an excellent cardio excersize just remember if you can hold a conversation you may not be moving at a fast enough speed to get your full benefit. I am not sure what your target heart rate is but it may be something you want to check into to reach you maximum potential from your walks.
  • dnjcountry
    dnjcountry Posts: 22 Member
    I love my walks ailso. I do 2 miles at 3.0mph on treadmill 5 days. Then on Saturdays I mow my yard. It takes 1 hour to cover the front and back yards. Then I rest one day a week. I also have noticed my stomacjh going flatter. I feel great too since starting this routine a few months back. The puonds are not coming off very well, but the inches are .
    J-
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    walking is one of the easiest most accessable exercises. You should do like Lashonda did and increase your time, or add really light weights so you start to build the muscle up. Muscles burn more calories so you want to get them going. Try some ankle weights or one or two lb weights (you can buy these at any store like WalMart and they usually cost a dollar per lb.

Keep up the walking for your bones and surely you feel good after walking! Don't worry, the added exercise will come with time, you might be surprised how much you CAN do when you break through the walls that get in our way!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    So far walking is all I have done personally. I don't have alot of extra time and for several weeks I had severe asthma problems so I did only my day to day walking. Now that the rainy season is here I am looking for a recumbent bike to purchase but currently I have only done the walking I get at work and home. I do wear my pedometer every day so it gives me an idea of what I have done.

I have seen a difference in my weight and energy levels. I am sure that has alot to do with my diet. I have up to this point lost 25 lbs since August.

I think that it is a great way to begin and perfect for anyone especially if you have issues that make other exercise difficult. Perhaps with less weight our bodies will tolerate other things better.

Eve
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    I try to walk at least three days a week too. I carry 1 lb weights for the heck of it and you know what, my arms are getting firmer. It's crazy what 1 lb can do over time!!! My pants are also feeling a bit looser too... Walking is great exercise!!!
This discussion has been closed.