diet rite soda

Options
Hi everyone, I am knew to all this but plugging away. I really don't like water and was wondering if I can continue to drink the diet rite soda and use this as a substitute for my water. I know its crazy but I am trying to convince myself since it has zero everything its like drinking my water.

sk

Replies

• Sheila1234
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am knew to all this but plugging away. I really don't like water and was wondering if I can continue to drink the diet rite soda and use this as a substitute for my water. I know its crazy but I am trying to convince myself since it has zero everything its like drinking my water.

sk
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    LOOK BELOW. Do you want 95% of your brain to be made of soda?

I think drinking diet soda will not be all bad if you drink say one a day but considering the litres of water you're recommended to drink I'd say get used to H2O!!!! :happy:

Water makes up more than two thirds of the weight of the human body, and without it, humans would die in a few days. The human brain is made up of 95% water, blood is 82% and lungs 90%.

A mere 2% drop in our body's water supply can trigger signs of dehydration: fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on smaller print, such as a computer screen. (Are you having trouble reading this? Drink up!) Mild dehydration is also one of the most common causes of daytime fatigue. An estimated seventy-five percent of Americans have mild, chronic dehydration. Pretty scary statistic for a developed country, where water is readily available through the tap or bottle.

Water is important to the mechanics of the human body. The body cannot work without it, just as a car cannot run without gas and oil. In fact, all the cell and organ functions made up in our entire anatomy and physiology depend on water for their functioning.

* Water serves as a lubricant
    * Water forms the base for saliva
    * Water forms the fluids that surround the joints.
    * Water regulates the body temperature, as the cooling and heating is distributed through perspiration.
    * Water helps to alleviate constipation by moving food through the intestinal tract and thereby eliminating waste- the best detox agent.
    * Regulates metabolism
  • keepontrying74
    Options
    I used to tell myself the same thing about diet pepsi, which is my favorite. When I did weight watchers, the rule was you could drink some other no-cal liquids but you had to make at least half of your fluid intake water. Even though it is calorie-less, diet rite is just not the same.

I have gone through stages of not liking water either. You have to condition your body to want it. Have you tried bottled water? Usually those taste pretty good and can be a good way to get used to drinking it., and you don't have to get the expensive ones.

The thing with diet sodas also is that there are so many diiferent studies out there that talk about the negative affects of drinking it. I'm not judging you because I love it too! But the more I read about it, they are ultimately not good for you. I just read one study that claims that drinking diet sodas can actually sabotage weight loss - not sure I'm ready to believe that one, though.

If you can slowly increase your water intake, you will eventually find that you like it and want it more, and subsequently you will want your diet rite less and less.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Sheila,

1 or 2 a day won't hurt you but before you make any decisions you might want to do some research on what phosphates can do to your body. Phosphates are used to create carbonization in soda's. One of the side effects is that they make it difficult for your body to absorb calcium (and that's one of the milder ones).

Before I started this plan I was drinking probably 6 or more 20 oz soda's a day. I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel since I cut back. One of the things that might help is to use Crysal Light or some other flavoring in your water, at least until you kick the soda habit.

Good luck!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    And what about all kinds of fruit or herbal tea? They can be so delicious! :smooched:
    Personally I love green tea as well - it's good for Your health, boosts metabolism - but be careful - it's tea anyway, it has some caffeine so I think 2-3 a day is enough. Fruit or herbal infusions are allowed without limits :smile:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    As a recovering diet soda addict myself, I can honestly say, drinking just soda and no water isn't good for you!! I used to drink 4-5 sodas a day...until I went to the dentist and he told me to either cut back on the soda or lose my teeth...easy choice there. I guess something in the soda eats away at the enamel?
    Ah well, I cut way back and now I only drink maybe 2 sodas a week. I got used to drinking my water!
    The Crystal Light single serve packs are great! Just pour it into a glass or bottle of water. I recommend the pink lemonade:smile:
  • Sheila1234
    Options
    I went out today on my lunch break and got some bottled water and the little crystal light packets to put in it. Thanks for the advice and support
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I use to drink nothing but diet Pepsi in place of water, I hate the taste of water, But now I drink a lot of green and maybe only a couple of Pepsi's a day. Didn't realize how much I was spending on that stuff as well it not being unhealthy.