tired of 1200 calories a day, too hard!

Options
tired of 1200 calories a day, im always so hungry, although i did lose weight....wondering if people count their liquids other than water as calories? for example, i count my two coffees each day. if i wouldnt have to count them it would free up some calories for me. any ideas??

Replies

• Hummingbird82
    Hummingbird82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has no calories, but if you use mini moo creamers they are only 10 calories each and use sugar substitute then you can still enjoy coffee.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has no calories, but if you use mini moo creamers they are only 10 calories each and use sugar substitute then you can still enjoy coffee.

very true. i drink starbucks house blend with minimal sugar and cream. it has 2 calories per cup before you add anything.
  • anewdeb2012
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you are sticking to 1200/day? It depends on your current weight for the amount of calories you should maintain. Weight watchers has a calculation that will allow you ample calories at your current weight and slowly decrease the calories as you lost the weight. If you're sticking with 1200 and have more than 40-50 pounds to lose....you're going to be very frustrated quite quickly.
  • soulartp
    soulartp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanx for the tip!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Bump your calories up to 1500. Bump them up to 1800. As long as you're sustaining a deficit, you will lose. You might not lose as fast, but you will be less miserable.

I count everything that has calories in it, even if it's just my 10-calorie supplements.
  • soulartp
    Options
    i dont have that much more to lose at all, im trying for another 5 pounds. I already lost about 13 pounds in total over a three month period. the 1200 calorie calculation is based on this sites recommendation.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Go back into MFP's settings and go with what it recommends you for 1lb a week weight loss. I bet it's a lot more than 1,200! It's easy and sustainable. And eat your exercise calories, or at least some of them!
  • soulartp
    Options
    Eat more. Bump your calories up to 1500. Bump them up to 1800. As long as you're sustaining a deficit, you will lose. You might not lose as fast, but you will be less miserable.

I count everything that has calories in it, even if it's just my 10-calorie supplements.

i dont think so rebekah. when i eat a bit more i didnt lose any weight. and now im losing but extremely extremely slow. so frustrated.
  • kenkai27
    Options
    When doing weight watchers, I never counted my coffee. I would count the cream I put in there as 50 calories, which is one point in WW. I still lost my 2.5 pounds a week!! Now if I would drink a high sugar drink, like G2 or a regular soda i would count the calories! Hope this helps!!:happy:
  • Coliepie717
    Options
    I was doing 1200 cals when I started also and I got so frustrated becasue I was starving and then was always going over. It made me loose motivation and I didnt log in for like 3 months. So I decided to bump my cals to 1500 and I have to say that helped so much. Maybe it was psychological, but just knowing that I had more made me eat less. Yesterday I actually had like 400+ calories left at the end of the day! Good luck to you, dont give up just becasue your frustrated
  • soulartp
    Options
    Go back into MFP's settings and go with what it recommends you for 1lb a week weight loss. I bet it's a lot more than 1,200! It's easy and sustainable. And eat your exercise calories, or at least some of them!

Berry, that IS what it recommends! 1210 calories a day!
  • soulartp
    Options
    When doing weight watchers, I never counted my coffee. I would count the cream I put in there as 50 calories, which is one point in WW. I still lost my 2.5 pounds a week!! Now if I would drink a high sugar drink, like G2 or a regular soda i would count the calories! Hope this helps!!:happy:

well im counting about 70 calories for coffee with a bit of milk and 2 sugars, so im sure im covered with it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

i dont think so rebekah. when i eat a bit more i didnt lose any weight. and now im losing but extremely extremely slow. so frustrated.

The closer you get to your goal - the slower weight comes off. Towards the end you will be "scheduled" to lose 1/2 pound a week - not even a full pound (the deficit for a full pound would bring you below 1200). Don't get discouraged. Exercise more & eat your exercise calories back.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Try eating Grapes and/ Chicken. They are low calorie foods but fill you right up...especially the grapes
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump up your cals if it's too much for you. I noticed that you're actually not even eating 1,200 on a daily and are actually eating a little less than that. Change your settings for your calorie recomendation so that it says that you are at least "lightly active" under your settings: diet profile. That should bump up your caloric intake a little more. 1,200 is so little... most people need more than that. You can also manually change your calories so that it reflects to 1,500 or more. I personally do a flex thing for myself and eat between 1,200/ day to 1,800/ day. I eat towards the higher end the days I exercise, the lower end the days I don't and don't beat myself up if I'm a little over 1,300 the days I don't exercise.

Also eat more veggies! It will help fill you up!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1200 cals when I started also and I got so frustrated becasue I was starving and then was always going over. It made me loose motivation and I didnt log in for like 3 months. So I decided to bump my cals to 1500 and I have to say that helped so much. Maybe it was psychological, but just knowing that I had more made me eat less. Yesterday I actually had like 400+ calories left at the end of the day! Good luck to you, dont give up just becasue your frustrated

I've done this for Winter, I found it too hard to get up in the dark to exercise so have adjusted my settings and am now on 1560 a day - with the exceptions of the festive period I've stayed under and lost, try it, you might like it!
  • pglaf
    pglaf Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more if you are hungry all the time.
    Eating foods with more fiber in them will help to keep you full too and for longer.

Great job on your weight loss.
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!!

I understand that it is hard to stick to 1200 calories per day......if you still feel hungry why don't you raise your calorie intake to say 1400 calories per day and see ow you feel by increasing the calories it will take a little longer to lose weight but you have to be happy doing this. Also, are you exercising?? If so, then you can use your exercise calorie allowance on any given day. As far as counting liquids yes you ned to count all!!!!! As Coliepie posted she increased her calorie intake and was happier I did the same thing because 1200 felt too low so I too increased my intake to 1500 calories per day while increasing my exercise time. Please don't give up just tweak the program to your specific needs....stay strong!!! God bless!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise to earn more calories, then eat more.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Berry, that IS what it recommends! 1210 calories a day!
    Sorry, I only just looked at your profile and I see you don't have much left to lose, which is probably why MFP has set you so low :smile:

It sounds counter-intuitive, but many people so close to goal have success changing to 0.5lb a week weight loss. It's slower but you'll be more likely to keep it off and slide seamlessly into maintenance.

I'd also go mental if I didn't earn myself a lovely big meal once a week with a huge calorie burn. This is usually my Sunday run which is always over an hour and burns at least 600 calories.