So... I went to Sam's Club and noticed...

Options
My husband and I went to Sam's Club over this long weekend and I couldn't help but chuckle.

Apparently their focus was the New Year's Resolution of losing weight. The minute you walked in the door, their "highlighted items" are stacked in pallets right up front and you get to walk by them all. First stack was a display of fitness DVD's.... followed by a pallet of protein shakes, followed by a pallet of another brand's protein shakes, followed by a pallet of some sort of weight loss supplements, followed by another brand's protein shakes pallet... and it went on and on. In prominent displays throughout the store the whole focus there was weight loss. Completely giggle worthy because it was so "in your face" :)

Technically for me I started on the 1st - so who am I to talk LOL! In actuality, the date just happened to be there so I ran with it. I had to hit my low first before I grabbed the bull by the horns (or is that fat by the rolls?) and get myself in the right frame of mind.

Replies

• cheermom614
    Options
    I had to laugh at this because I had the same experience at Costco this weekend! Just like you said, as soon as you walked in the door it was skids loading with supplements, small workout equipment and dvd's! It's not just the big wholesale clubs, it's every store! I don't mind it though, I actually LOVE the big January health sales! I can get new workout clothes on sale! :)
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    During christmas my husband actually asked why I didn't wait for Jan 1st to start. However since I lost my first 8.5 lbs before the first of the year I'm glad I started a month early.
  • jaynewould
    Options
    During christmas my husband actually asked why I didn't wait for Jan 1st to start. However since I lost my first 8.5 lbs before the first of the year I'm glad I started a month early.

I have a 15lb head start, now it's all just momentum! I figure if I got through Christmas, and New Years, and still lost weight, then I AM UNSTOPPABLE, lol :tongue:
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Very funny but true....on TV also lot's of Nutra System adds and WW. I want to be a fit 60 and with a bad cholesterol report last June I started then. I've turned the cholesterol issue around and feel so much better, but still have more work to do. Good luck to you with your journey!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Personally, I dont think it matters when you start. Maybe for you it's a "common" time and just feels right. Maybe for someone else it's a deeply personal reason that falls in middle of July. Doesnt matter. As long as you're committed to your health and wellness and doing it, today is just as good as yesterday. Congrats on getting going! :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Their sibling-company, WalMart, has a weird combination of weight-loss stuff + Valentine's Day candy.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I went to pick up my fitness magazine at the book store... you know the one I buy every other month all the time. I just happened to purchase it on New Year's Day, I felt very weird about that for some reason.... very cliche. Picked up a copy of New Rules for Abs since I just finished and loved New Rules for Women also. I think the clerk was like.... "another New Years Resolutioner" but I didn't care. :)
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can tell it's the new year. The gym is full of people I've never seen before. 95% of them will be gone in 3 weeks. I've seen this happen ever year.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I went to buy some Myoplex protein powder there the other day and noticed they stopped carrying it. :angry: Now they only sell the pre-made shakes. Bummer.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was in Sams last night and saw the same kind of display. It's pretty funny to say the least. By mid February the health kick will be old news for most.
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ...before I grabbed the bull by the horns (or is that fat by the rolls?)...

This made me laugh, and I am definitely stealing it! Lol :laugh:
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    ...before I grabbed the bull by the horns (or is that fat by the rolls?)...

This made me laugh, and I am definitely stealing it! Lol :laugh:

LOL! Go for it :D