Day one and struggling!

Options
13»

Replies

• rockchalkgrove
    rockchalkgrove Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you starve yourself, your metabolism will come to halt! If you are hungry...EAT! Just make the right choices. Avoid sugary foods. Make sure every meal contains a lean protein!! By fueling your body with 5 meals a day, you keep your body burning and feel satisfied all day. Do you mind sharing what you have been eating so we can help you out??
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I know that part of my problem is carbs so I am trying to reduce the amount I eat particularly in the second half of the day. And I know that these feelings are just withdrawals but it is SO hard! I'm also the only one in the office today which doesn't help - even though I'm busy I'm still thinking about my tummy!

Am trying to drink lots of water and will fill up at dinner on protein. I MUST stick with it.

Thanks again

first, carbs are not the enemy...but certain carbs are better than other ones. When you eat carbs that have a high glycemic index value, an insulin release is triggered and this creates cravings for more sugary foods. Generally, any processed foods have carbs with high glycemic index values. so, if you limit processed foods and other refined sugars, you will help yourself as far as cravings go. sugar cravings and sugar withdrawals can go away quickly if you remove/limit the carbs with high glycemic index values from your diet.

second, I strongly recommend eating protein throughout the day. protein helps keep you fuller longer because it takes longer to digest. why wait until dinner to consume your protein? adding fiber helps as well. eggs and berries in the morning gives me a power packed combo of protein (eggs), healthy fat (eggs), carbs with low glycemic index value that are high in fiber (raspberries or blackberries). I get more protein at lunch, usually eating some leftovers that I cooked for myself. I mix some protein powder with water either during my morning or afternoon snack for more protein. then I have protein with dinner.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    and drink tons of water!

Agree...sometimes we think we are hungry and we are actually dehydrated...need lots of water!
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you! The 1st week I came BACK to MFP I went thru the wanting to eat everything in sight! I couldn't tell if it was from quitting smoking or just dieting or what it was from but I had a really hard time getting started. I'm doing better b/c I recorded EVERY thing I put in my mouth that 1st 2 weeks and when I saw the calories racking up I was like ok TWO things need to happen (b/c I LOVE FOOD) I need to start eating HEALTHIER & I need to start exercising and FAST... SO now almost 2 weeks later I have started exercising & I have stayed under my calories every day for a week! YAY ME! One day at a time is all you need to remember!!! Good luck to you! Feel free to add me if you need support!!!
  • gailashton
    Options
    Mind over matter. Don't obsess. If you're hungry eat, but choose something healthy. Once you've eaten a portion size stop there, wait a while and ask yourself why you really want more. WAter, water, water, hot tea. etc.also curb hunger. Goodluck!
  • animalover22
    animalover22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think most of us at this site can relate to what you are saying. Food, which should be an ally, has become my nemesis because of choices I've made. Like many, I've made a resolution for a healthier me in 2012. The difference this year is that I have a plan and a support group that I can count upon when needed. You are the only one who can change your behavior and you do it by planning and utilizing the tools at your disposal. The first days/weeks are the most difficult, but just approach it a day at a time. :happy:
  • beautybloom
    Options
    It's hard. It's my second day and I'll probably have chinese for lunch :p Just make the best decisions you can and DON'T keep candy or sodas around.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry you need to eat. It's not about starving yourself, it's about eating healthy.
    Make a healthy choice in a snack and eat it.
    Make sure you drink some water too. A lot of times we confuse hunger for thirst. Make sure you're well hydrated.

You got this!

He's right... listen to him & me! LOL... hey, it's all good, we're in this together!
  • deedee1508
    deedee1508 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi -you're right not to call it a diet, it's just healthy eating. Perhaps you've overdone it a bit over the last couple of weeks and your body is craving more of the same. It will feel easier as you get into it. Leafy salads don't really do it for me, I prefer higher fibre foods as they are more filling - jacket potato with tuna & sweetcorn or with beans; wholewheat pasta with a tomato-based/vegetable sauce. Stick with it, you will get loads of support from these boards, and good luck.
  • chwfit
    chwfit Posts: 6
    Options
    hi! It's my first day too. I am feeling a little unhappy and a bit overwhelmed, not to mention shaky, tired and anxious.

But everyone is right - this is starvation, this is a life change. So if you are hungry or feeling a compulsion to eat, you should. Be mindful of your body, and choose something healthy. Remember that our eyes are usually bigger than our stomachs.

You can totally do this. We're first day buddies!
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry you need to eat. It's not about starving yourself, it's about eating healthy.
    Make a healthy choice in a snack and eat it.
    Make sure you drink some water too. A lot of times we confuse hunger for thirst. Make sure you're well hydrated.

You got this!

What he said! :) If you choose things with fiber to keep your tummy busy, like raw veggies or a little bit of beans/legumes, or a small amount of protein like string cheese, or even just a slice of the shaved lean deli meats, it can help fight off the hunger pangs, even if they're really just chemical cravings for crud.

And it is amazing how drinking can help (fluids, not booze! lol) Hang in there; it gets easier if you just totally stay away from the sugar and processed stuff and let it get flushed out of your system.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This is not my first time trying to eat healthily and lose a few kgs (notice my avoidance of the word diet!), but it's my first time using MFP.

Today is first day and I am desperately craving food of any stodgy variety. I can no longer tell whether I'm really hungry or not. I know it will pass as I have lost weight before (only to put it all back on) but don't remember it being this hard right at the beginning.

I don't want to eat any more as I need to make sure I have enough left for dinner.
    Thanks for listening :)
    Make sure your settings are fixed for a half a pound - yes 1/2 pound of weight loss per week.
    Do this for 1 month to help you over this hump.

Too often people get all hot and bothered come Jan 1st, set unreasonable goals, then starve themselves before failing totally by March. Slow down.

Go to a half a pound and just hold that pattern for a few weeks, then go to 1 for a month, then 1 and a half, then 2, then back down to a half. The key is always to trend down without starving yourself and messing up your metabolism.

And make sure you're eating back your exercise calories.

^ totaly agree its not a race its a life style change
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you starve yourself, your metabolism will come to halt! If you are hungry...EAT! Just make the right choices. Avoid sugary foods. Make sure every meal contains a lean protein!! By fueling your body with 5 meals a day, you keep your body burning and feel satisfied all day. Do you mind sharing what you have been eating so we can help you out??

This ^^^^^

When I started in October I started with small meals and having maybe 6 per day. I would have part of my breakfast around 8 and then the fruit around 10, partial lunch around 12 (usually my protein) with veggies around 2-3, then dinner I would eat my whole dinner and save calories for a snack before bedtime. You've been given a lot of great advice. Hook up with good friends on here to help out when you need it.
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Listen to this person!! They know what they're talking about. It's a perfect plan!!! And definitely drink lots of water!! At least 8 - 8oz glasses daily..at least! You can do it!!

Hi everyone,

This is not my first time trying to eat healthily and lose a few kgs (notice my avoidance of the word diet!), but it's my first time using MFP.

Today is first day and I am desperately craving food of any stodgy variety. I can no longer tell whether I'm really hungry or not. I know it will pass as I have lost weight before (only to put it all back on) but don't remember it being this hard right at the beginning.

I don't want to eat any more as I need to make sure I have enough left for dinner.
    Make sure your settings are fixed for a half a pound - yes 1/2 pound of weight loss per week.

Too often people get all hot and bothered come Jan 1st, set unreasonable goals, then starve themselves before failing totally by March. Slow down.

Go to a half a pound and just hold that pattern for a few weeks, then go to 1 for a month, then 1 and a half, then 2, then back down to a half. The key is always to trend down without starving yourself and messing up your metabolism.

• Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of 3 I plan my meals and walk plenty never go shopping hungry and log what you eat add me if you like
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Listen to this person!! They know what they're talking about. It's a perfect plan!!! And definitely drink lots of water!! At least 8 - 8oz glasses daily..at least! You can do it!!

Hi everyone,

I got mine set at a pound its all about seeing what works for you I don't eat all my exercise cals but I only walk anyway
  • loupoulain
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I so understand the struggle you talk about. You are not alone! I read a very good book this past year that has helped me; "An End to Overeating" by David Kessler. He KNOWS what he's talking about, and the book helped me understand why I feel so powerless about certain foods and situations. Hang in there!
  • all4me20012
    Options
    My first day back to I just found a bunch of 300 calorie meals Hungry Girl has a million That way I get to eat 4 meals a day AND 200 calories left for snacks im eating all day lol