Adult ADD, Ritalin, and Weight Loss

Options
flcaoh
flcaoh Posts: 444
So... after many many years of being jokingly accused of having ADD by teachers, relatives, and friends (along with a nagging self-suspicion that I actually really do have ADD), and many frustrating college courses later, I finally sought out a diagnosis and was officially diagnosed with ADD about 3 weeks ago at the age of 26, 3 months before graduating college lol.

So, my doctor has put me on a low dose of Ritalin. It does help a lot, it really keeps me focused. I don't bounce from topic to topic and my brain doesn't feel nearly as scattered as it once did. But I have read and heard that one of the most noticeable side effects is weight loss.... so... yay lol. But honestly, I don't want to lose weight too quickly because I don't plan on using Ritalin forever. I mainly wanted it so I could actually focus and get some school work done. I refused to go to the Dr and be put on meds for ADD for years. And the last thing I want to do is rely on a pill for my weight loss. I've been doing really good without it thus far.

I'm really interested in hearing how it has affected adults. I know a lot of kids are slapped on it now-a-days, but have any of ya'll grown ups taken it and what were your experiences? Mainly with regards to the weight loss but also regarding how it affected you in general.

Thanks!

Replies