Food waste documentary. (Dive!)

Options
Now I'm not saying we should go dumpster diving, but this is a pretty good/informative documentary.
Dive!: Living off America's Waste (Find it on Netflix)

With all the buying of fruits and veggies, I know after previously working in a grocery store that you can usually ask the produce department/meat department if they will discount 'just below standard' products. I've bought whole boxes of apples for $7 (20lbs of apples with minimal bruising!!)

Anyone else trying to lower their environmental impact as well as lower the scale? haha :tongue:

Replies

• yellowrose21
    yellowrose21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds fascinating. Will definitely watch :)
    Have started shopping a Lot more locally this last year (avoiding wal-mart etc) and really like doing it. We recycle and are always amazed at how quickly our bins fill up. Imagine all that going into a landfill! I'm sure some of it still does. Did you know commercial recycling only happens if it's worth the money?
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I watched this about a week or so ago and t definitely made me consider diving for food for a hot second. It's so sad how much food is wasted in this country. Great Doc.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have seen people doing this on tv. It is crazy how much useable food is wasted. I was a manager in a major chain grocery store for years and it was very sad to see all the waste. The store I worked for did not allow things that were still good but expired to be sold, or given away.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    It is crazy how much usable food is wasted, but I personally like 'Portlandia''s take on dumpster diving... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfJ2NbPATo
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Going to watch, get back to you on my thoughts. Thanks in advance.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    what makes me mad is that even good food in the grocery stores gets thrown away because they are just a few days away from the "Ablaufdatum" I don't know the right english word for it, something like expiration date...so they could easily give that to oranizations that help people but no, that is not allowed...
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    what makes me mad is that even good food in the grocery stores gets thrown away because they are just a few days away from the "Ablaufdatum" I don't know the right english word for it, something like expiration date...so they could easily give that to oranizations that help people but no, that is not allowed...

Luckily, it is allowed in our community. There is a nonprofit that does "food recovery". It drives around to grocers, restaurants, caterers, farmers market, etc and collects food that is still fine to eat, but can't be sold.
    http://www.foodshuttle.org/program/food-recovery-and-distribution

They also have programs to teach families at risk of hunger how to cook healthy, affordable meals and how to grow their own produce.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Luckily, it is allowed in our community. There is a nonprofit that does "food recovery". It drives around to grocers, restaurants, caterers, farmers market, etc and collects food that is still fine to eat, but can't be sold.
    http://www.foodshuttle.org/program/food-recovery-and-distribution
    They also have programs to teach families at risk of hunger how to cook healthy, affordable meals and how to grow their own produce.

I know you will find something similar in Germany, but not all stores do it and I wish they would change it.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It is crazy how much usable food is wasted, but I personally like 'Portlandia''s take on dumpster diving... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfJ2NbPATo

Ahhh, I love Portlandia. xD