Will this ever end????

Options
I have a very strong mind and I fight these food wars daily! Is there anyone out there that has this problem??? I've lost eighteen pounds and dropped two whole sizes. I've carried out two garbage bags of clothes and donated them to a women's shelter. I've been taking pictures at the end of the week and I still look the same to me! I know it sounds crazy, but I don't look that different to me! :laugh: I want to look in the mirror and see a new me!:smile:

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs and see a difference but its DEF not where I want to be. Maybe you can't see a difference because you don't see the difference you want. How do you feel? If you feel better and know that physical change is occuring (hence all the tossed clothes) use that as your inspiration to know your changing and keep going at it! Don't give up - you'll get where you wanna be! :bigsmile:
  • littlebigbird
    Options
    Even if you look back at a photo from before you started losing weight? My kids keep telling me I look different but I couldn't see it until this afternoon, when I looked at a photo of myself from last year, when I was 20lb heavier.

I do know what you mean about fighting food wars every day though. Do you find it's more difficult at certain times of the month?

You're doing so well, I think MszSHOGUN is right - you need to take inspiration from those bags of clothes you've had to discard!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You, like me, have a good amount of weight to lose. The changes at first are very small, some disappointing and others just strange.

You are making progress and through this "journey" you will have to continually change it up to keep going but you are changing. Take credit for the 18 and set some mini goals until you have reached the big one.

Then once you are at your goal you have to learn to maintain so you don't come back but if you do it all the way you should you will be at a healthy weight and probably looking pretty good. If it is about being happy because you are skinnier, there is no promise that thinner will bring happiness.
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    I think it is because I have so much to lose! The food wars are because I've completely changed the way I eat and what I eat. It was so much easier before. Eating healthy and counting the calories is a lot of work.:grumble: It is getting better, because I've started planning my meals. I do feel better! I have a long way to go! This is going to be a journey, not a weekend getaway!:huh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I started just barely overweight with a hell of a self esteem issue to get over because of the way I felt about myself. I've lost 40 lbs and I'm much more confident but I still have what my friends call "fat girl syndrome" ...meaning I still feel like I'm bigger than I am, even though I know I'm not - if that makes sense.

It just takes time.
    Congrats on your loss though! Keep it up, and the fact that you've given up your clothes shows that you're really committed to keeping it off, which is awesome!

Keep it up, and be proud of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • hulkj
    Options
    No, I'm a very happy person, that has been one of the problems over the years. I was happy and let myself go! I became so involved in other areas of my life and kept telling myself that I'll take care of the weight thing when I have more time... :angry: I'm not giving up, I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this mental thing of still thinking you look the same. Many people at work and church have noticed and made comments. :smile: Thanks for sharing with me!:flowerforyou:
  • hulkj
    Options
    Good one....the fat girl epidemic may be more like it! laugh: I believe that is it..........most likely because I've been overweight for 17 years now. I became comfortable with me....... :noway: I am not going back!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

My mind has the picture of me where I want to be so even though I am thinner now and others notice the difference and I've give away all my clothes, I still see me as miles from my goal instead of miles from where I started.

What I notice most is that my underwear fits better and when I wake up in the morning I can feel my ribs closer to the surface of my skin than they used to be.

I reward myself with stickers and presents for sticking to my food and exercise plan because that is what is going to save my life.

Keep at this one day at a time and remarkable things will happen.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • hulkj
    Options
    Thanks!!! I needed all the encouraging words!!!!!!!!!:love:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 pounds and went dress shopping 2 days ago and I am a 20!!!!!!!!! When I started I was an 18/20......I must be losing fat in my arms, my head and places that are definitely NOT where I want.....You are doing great! Hang in there, there will come time when you too will see it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 pounds and went dress shopping 2 days ago and I am a 20!!!!!!!!! When I started I was an 18/20......I must be losing fat in my arms, my head and places that are definitely NOT where I want.....You are doing great! Hang in there, there will come time when you too will see it.

:flowerforyou:

After my first 20 I lost 2 sizes and now that I am in better shape I went back up in size because my hips are bigger :grumble: I swear everything from my legs moved up to my hips, the body is a strange thing sometimes! I remind myself to just keep plugging away because eventually it will start doing what I want it to do.......hopefully :wink:
  • abalvarado90
    Options
    I used to feel the exact same way. At least you have lost 18 lbs. and people are noticing. I had to lose 32 lbs exactly before anyone noticed and finally asked me if I was losing weight. I know how you feel. Even when I had lost about 50 lbs, people would tell me how good I looked but all I would think and say back to them was "Yeah, thanks but I still have a LONG way to go!" Don't think of the long journey you have ahead of you. Make short goals. For example, I would set my goal for 10 lbs. If I was 229, I would make my goal to be in the teens. When I would be in the teens, my goal was to be in the single digits, etc.....
    And YES I still have the fat girl syndrome from time to time. I will see some jeans and think "that is toooo small and there is no way I will fit in them." Then I'll try them on and not only would they fit but they would be loose on me........ Keep up the good work, DO NOT give up and you will be in your goal weight in no time!
    God Bless
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

My mind has the picture of me where I want to be so even though I am thinner now and others notice the difference and I've give away all my clothes, I still see me as miles from my goal instead of miles from where I started.

What I notice most is that my underwear fits better and when I wake up in the morning I can feel my ribs closer to the surface of my skin than they used to be.

I reward myself with stickers and presents for sticking to my food and exercise plan because that is what is going to save my life.

Keep at this one day at a time and remarkable things will happen.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG! barbiecat: I was thinking about my underwear this morning when I woke up...and they were nearly off! They've become so big and it made me smile how something so ordinary as underwear can make me smile! :blushing:

Tilly-
    I agree. I have lost 37 pounds and I KNOW I look different and people certainly tell me how good I look. I feel great and don't even have an iota of a desire to go back to the unhealthy lifestyle I lived for 40 years but, yes, there, in the back of my "still fat mind", I don't always see what others see. Remember, we are our own worst critics! If you gave all that clothes away and people are telling you how good you're doing and noticing, you're obviously on the right track. I get the mental thing. I get it, I get it. We are our own worst enemies, too. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • UltraThinJen
    Options
    We seem to have some things in common. I too let myself go until I became too miserably out of shape. I struggle with food everyday, mostly because I stiil cook the things I love to eat (but shouldn't have) for my family. I think I have done really well controlling my cravings, and sometimes I give in but I just do small portions now. I've lost 18 lbs. and am still wearing the same size clothing. People have told me they have seen difference, but I'm wondering how much weight I'll have to lose until I see and feel a difference.
  • josie66
    josie66 Posts: 20
    Options
    I know what you mean about being frustrated. I have not lost as much poundage as you. I seem to keep losing the same 3 pounds. I have lost inches in my waist, bust, and hips. I know losing inches is supposed to be a real indicator that I am doing something right but I just want the scale to keep going down.