Breakfast Help?

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Greek yogurt + fruit + granola or chopped nuts
    2. Peanut butter + banana + cinnamon + pita or english muffin or tortilla (swap the cinnamon for unsweetened cocoa powder too)
    3. baked apples + chopped nuts + english muffin
    4. cheese toast (one slice of whole grain bread, 1 oz of your favorite cheese in the oven or toaster oven till melted) + fruit
    5. smoothies
    a. banana + ginger + milk + cinnamon
    b. frozen berries + unsweetened cranberry or pomegranate juice
    c. Mango + coconut water + ginger + juice from 1/2 lime or lemon
    d. Mango lassi: mango + keffir or yogurt + juice from 1/2 lime
  • almost350
    Options
    Try Cheerios or a strawberry smoothie.. Nice and very nutritional
  • jaqiswany
    Options
    I cant eat porridge it makes me retch, but I do like rice krispies , or special k and add my own fresh fruit.
    Or natural yougurt with fresh fruit.
    I also like turkey rashers and grilled cherry tomato for a weekend change.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Granola mixed in with greek yogurt.
    Very yummy!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Mmm...so many options! Let's see...today I made this http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-year-new-breakfast.html, which is gluten free, vegan, and good for you - tons of energy! Plus if you cook up the quinoa and millet ahead of time, takes barely any time at all in the morning. The same blog has a great video on making your own nut milk too, which Is super easy and really tasty! Hashes are great - keep some grated veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, cauliflower etc.) on hand and they can also come together pretty quickly - you can mix in an egg or turkey/chicken sausage to get some good protein too! I don't have a recipe on hand, but I know lots of people make breakfast muffins or healthy pancakes, freeze them in individual portions, and just quickly cook them up in the morning. Yogurt and fruit is always a good go to...fresh (as in, if you have a juicer make it yourself!) juice or smoothies are another great option. In general, I think the closer you can get to whole grains, fresh produce and lean proteins, and stick away from processed or pre-packaged breakfast foods the closer you'll get to having a good, healthy, energizing and satiating breakfast. Good luck!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I myself struggle with breakfast daily. I have never been a breakfast person and last several yeard have made it a point to eat something for breakfast as I used to skip it for years. I also get sick of oatmeal lol! i think everyone does. however, I found tasty oatmeal made by Better Oats, and have raw, organic, and many different flavors even muffin.

I always wanted to try a soy protein powder. how does that taste?

try a whole wheat english muffin with 1tbsp of real honey w/a bannana. so yummy:smile:

Make your own flavored oatmeal:
    1. chopped apples, cinnamon, chopped nuts
    2. banana, pumpkin pie spice, almond milk instead of water
    3. dried fruit, walnuts, vanilla extract

These are my 3 favorite variation. I buy plain steel cut oats. You can cook them faster if you add your liquid the night before. They'll cook in the microwave in half the time.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    anything that has protein.. sometimes ill eat chicken or fish for breakfast if im not in the mood for traditional breakfast.. also a nice idea when im in the mood for sweet is a toasted bagel thin with almond butter and sugar free jam. i ususally have an egg white omelet with no cheese and oatmeal with just cinnamon.. ill switch it up to a protein shake sometimes.. breakfast is my downfall because i was never in to it. i do eat protein every morning though..its become a habit for me . some mornings i have to force myself to have something.. its essential to get your metabolism going and helps out tremendously with weight loss
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    I love turkey sandwiches with avocado and tomato and a slice of reduced cal swiss(swiss has more calcium than some of the other cheeses)

I love eggs...but since you ,won't give you those ideas..lol

cook an applegate chicken sausage with gouda and apple(already in there) for protein.

cook a turkey burger with avocado and onion....so yummy and loaded with protein for about 200 calories total!!!(no bun but add an 80 calorie Sarah Lee whole grain bun ) Still is low in calories..:)
  • pokesfan48
    Options
    I have been drinking Special K protein shakes for a while now and really like them. I usually add a banana or some other type of fruit with it in the morning. I can throw it in my purse and drink it when I am at work. It does a good job at keeping me full until lunch time.
  • lisajwill
    Options
    You need to try the vitatop muffins. They are 90-100 calories. You can find them in the frozen section at most grocery stores. I love the chocolate ones. You can also go to their website and order them. I love them. It feels like you are cheating on your diet. http://www.vitalicious.com
  • mcguvs
    mcguvs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Its a protein powder in skim milk for me.
    Then on the way to work I'll have 1 cup of cinnamin oat squares. This helps fill me up and gives me my iron vitamin for the day.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese & fruit
    Greek yogurt
    Atkins protien shakes
    Atkins meal bars

Concentrate on protien in the AM
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast! But I rarely have cereal.

Some of my faves are:
    Wholegrain toast topped with avocado, sliced tomato and freshly ground black pepper
    A wholemeal/wholegrain English muffin topped with a few slices of wafer thin turkey breast and a little cranberry sauce
    A tub of yoghurt or glass of milk, piece of fruit and low sugar cereal bar or handful of mixed nuts
    Baked beans with toast
    A wholemeal crumpet topped with reduced fat ricotta cheese and a little honey
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is 2 Eggo Nutrigrain waffles toasted with 1/2 Tbsp of butter on each one and an 8 oz. glass of 1% milk for added protein. This tends to keep me full until at least 11am when I usually have a piece of fruit/nuts/etc. I'm not big on oatmeal, eggs or protein shakes and usually only have 10 minutes to make & eat breakfast so these work well for me. I choose to put butter on them instead of syrup because the fat tends to keep me full longer than sugary syrups and I can't stand the taste of margarine. Hope this helps!!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Don't know when I'm coming back - maybe next reunion (hopefully). :tongue:
  • Get_My_Mojo_Back
    Options
    Easiest thing to do is to drink an 8oz glass of water as soon as you wake up that slows the hunger pangs and then a smoothie/protein shake for breakfast. Also if you like fruits or yogurt as an alternative to oatmeal.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yogurt (greek) + fruit + granola or without the fruit or the granola

I second this choice!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Protein shakes or meal replacement.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've made these before & you can freeze them. Then you can eat them as is or grab an english muffin or something to make a sandwich. The variety is endless and they can be as healthy as you want because YOU put the ingredients in.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Haha - I posted pretty much this exact question several weeks ago!

The MFP community FREAKED OUT! People called me the pickiest eater on the planet. They told me I better learn to like eggs if I wanted to be healthy. They told me I needed to expand my palette. They suggested skipping breakfast because there was nothing possibly I could eat. They compared me to Sally from 'When Harry Met Sally'. It was sort of annoying.

Since then, I have been making whole wheat pancakes with a warm fruit compote with a side of turkey sausage. Or, some days I will have a mini bagel with cheddar cheese and turkey sausage with a side of fresh fruit. It's been very satisfying! And yes... I am living proof that there are breakfasts that don't have eggs or oatmeal!

Some days, I'll have a homemade Belgian waffle and bacon. Occasionally, I'll even splurge on a donut or croissant. :-)