Keep going.

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Today, I climbed a mountain, both literally and figuratively. Last year I tried hiking the Delaware Water Gap... the hardest trail they have there. Literally every 2-3 minutes I had to stop to catch my breath, and by the time I hit the top I felt like my chest was going to cave in. It took close to 2 hours.

Today I made the same hike in 43 minutes, without stopping (except to take a snapshot here and there). I think the statement "Nothing tastes as good as being thin" is incorrect - it should go, "nothing tastes as good as being fit." Why? I weigh just about the exact same thing I did then as I do now.

By all accounts I am still obese, I'm 5'8 and weigh 225lbs. Yet we were easily passing other people who were huffing and puffing, some turning back because they had chose the "hard path" - despite the fact that using weight and BMI as a measurement they were healthier than us.

It's taken me 2 years to get here, and all I can say is wow... I've changed so much. It has been rough at times. But oh my god, it is so worth it. Please, every one of you who has doubt in yourself; every one of you who is worried that you're not able to make it; stick with it and keep going. Get fit. Get healthy. No slice of cheesecake, no dish of ice cream, nothing in this world leaves you satisfied like knowing you are progressing towards and achieving your goals. Nothing feels as good as living in a body that can do what you ask of it. And the most beautiful thing of the entire experience? I'm still not where I want to be yet... it's only going to get better from here.

Long story short: never, ever give up. Each and every one of you can do it. No matter how discouraged you get, no matter how bad you want to quit - make the decision to keep putting one foot in front of the other. You really, truly owe it to yourself. I have faith in you. Peace.

9053588.jpg

Replies

• cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! :drinker:

Thanks for sharing!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you for this:heart::heart: :heart:
  • mizzoucheer
    mizzoucheer Posts: 23
    Options
    Great Post! Thanks for sharing that as I know too often I just watch the number on the scale and don't always see the bigger picture. Congrats to you!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Honey, that is wonderful. I am so glad you have learned to appreciate the simple truth. That health is the most important thing.

I shall use that in my daily thoughts.

Noting tastes as good as being fit feels!!!:heart:
  • nancyat48
    nancyat48 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow!! You should be very proud and feel great about your accomplishments. Thanks you for sharing, your post made me realize I have been focusing too much on diet and not on exercise, activity, sports etc... I needed a reminder as to what really makes me happy. Keep going is right!!!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Great post and SSSOOOOOOOO TRUE! :drinker:

Thats an awesome pic too! Way to go and keep up the good work!
  • indianagranny
    indianagranny Posts: 863
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for sharing this
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    :happy: What a great post! You make a wonderful point, and yes, NOTHING compares to being fit and in shape. :drinker:
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options
    Congrats!! Looks like a beautiful place! I am getting ready to climb a 14er in late June. I can't wait! I hope my trek is as successful as yours was!!!
    Keep it up!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You're amazing!!!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Good for you!