Packed lunches

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new on here and just wondered if you could help give me some ideas on what to take for lunches to work? I am trying to stay off the bread.

Thanks xx:smile:

Replies

• run_panda_run
    run_panda_run Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I'm tired of sandwiches I like to make a big batch of chili. (Beef is fine, but you can use ground turkey if you want lower cal). I leave out a week's worth and freeze the rest. Stir-fry is also good for taking to work and there are so many ways to make it, it's hard to get tired of, lol! If you cook dinner at home make extra and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • beanszim
    Options
    Thank you. I will do that. :smile:
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Today I brought a hamburger with cheese (no bread), greek yogurt, and a clementine. I also snacked on a fiber one bar, cottage cheese, and kiwi.

Basically I take what I put inside a sandwich and just eat that, if the insides are good you'll enjoy them without the bread, I also like other granola/cereal/protein bars. Fruit and veggies are easy too, once you find ones that you really like to eat.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take whatever was leftover from the night before. I always make enough for four servings (dinner/lunch for both me and my hubby). If there are no leftovers, soup or tuna, a string cheese or carrots with hummus.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am having an avocado and white bean wrap with cabbage slaw today. It is delicious! You can use a low carb torilla. I used a 90 calorie flax/whole wheat wrap made by Garden City.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_avocado_white_bean_wrap.html

I also love soups, or snack lunches where I will graze on a yogurt, some celery and peanut butter, some Mini Babybell Light Cheese, etc.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Salads!
    I love salads and I throw everything but the kitchen sink in.

Lettuce, spinach, celery, mushrooms, peppers, onions, bean sprouts, etc.

For fun add berrires, apples, pears

For protein add, salmon, tuna, turkey, chicken, cheese (I add a little feta every now & then)

Then there are bean salads!

All can be made the night before and just grabbed from the fridge in the AM. Sometimes I make a massive salad that takes me a couple of days to eat through!
  • beanszim
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas, I am making a list to give me a nice choice. I do appreciate it. xx
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I always pack my lunches & snacks for work. It takes time to prepare things ahead of time, but well worth it. My usuals are fesh fruit, low fat cottage cheese, veggies, there are so many options as long as you're willing to take a few minutes in the evening before bed or if you have time in the morning.

I try to avoid the bread too, but there are so many healthier low-cal options out there. My favorite bread alternative is the multi-grain sandwich thins. I keep them in the freezer since I don't eat one every day & would like them to stay fresh.They are 100 calories for both slices & generally pretty filling. Mostly I make tuna sandwiches, light miracle whip & maybe some light cheese. In the summer I grow a garden, so it's fun to make veggie sandwiches, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, spinach, whatever happens to be growing at the time!!! Some light cheese & YUM!!!

I was never a big eater of fruit, but I'm surprised to find out how filling & satisfying fresh fruit can be. Fresh pineapple is my favorite, but I eat alot of pears & apples too. Don't worry about the sugar content in fruit, it's all natural & completely different than processed sugars. I completely ignore the sugar I get from fruit. This week, I have some celery in my fridge that needs used up, so I am cutting it up & plan to spread some laughing cow cheese on it.
  • skinnylittleshit
    Options
    I like to take cut up carrot (with hummus sometimes), and also pasta salads or just ordinary salads :)
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    wraps or low calorie bread is my favorite thing. (you can find some bread that is only 45 calories per slice.)
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I like making a batch of tuna salad and using lettuce leaves as wraps. Soup is also a great idea - I make a big batch and then have lunch all week long.

I sometimes use low-carb tortillas/wraps, or the Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful bread for work sandwiches. That way I only eat 100 calories or less in bread.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    wraps or low calorie bread is my favorite thing. (you can find some bread that is only 45 calories per slice.)

Country Kitchen light italian... 40cal per slice!

If you know anyone on Weight Watchers they make a zero opint (20 cal per cup) veggie soup that is good and filling too....

Anything you can put on bread goes well on a bed of lettuce too....
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do 12 hour shifts, so I usually bring a salad, turkey breast or tuna with whole grain crackers and a baby bell cheese and some fruit. I also bring a lot of water so I can drink the whole time and be less temped to eat any junk.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I make salads
    I'll make a big batch of something like chili or soup and freeze it in lunch portions.
    I'll take left overs from the night before
  • OneTooManyTacos
    Options
    I'm big on leftovers too ;) moderate portions w/ a piece of fresh fruit

ps
    if for whatever reason I am not able to pack my own and have to order say, like a burger or something you can always forgo the bread.
  • nursebrandie03
    Options
    for lunch today i had a 200 calorie digiorno pizza and a special k chocolaty drizzle bar...290 cal total
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I love baked fish fillets and a salad. I buy either the frozen tilapia or flounder fillets or Gortons has a nice garlic & herb fillet. They are easy to make in the morning and take in to reheat at work.
  • hanes11
    Options
    I do sandwhiches, salads, tuna salad and sometimes even some soup! The lean cuisines/healthy choices are always an easy option but make sure to have snacks that day because they leave me hungry! I am back on the bandwagon again.. I lost about 14lbs last time I did this and I want to drop about 5-10 more.. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I believe that eating salads for lunch has really changed my life! I buy all of the stuff I need for my salads on Sunday..........a head of lettuce, a bag of spinach, tomatoes, cauliflower, zucchini (if I can get small ones), sometimes cukes or radishes. I buy low-calorie crunchies like tortilla strips or croutons. Will sometimes add craisins or other dried fruit. Hard-Boiled egg or roasted chicken for protein..............Mix it up a little!

I cart the whole bag to work, put it in the fridge, and make myself a fresh salad each day. It has really helped me to lose weight, to get enough fiber, to get my veggies in for the day.....all that good stuff!

I also make big batches of soups or chili and freeze portions, like some of the other gals here do. That makes a quick and easy lunch or dinner, without a lot of fuss :happy: :happy:
  • rogie66
    rogie66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The followng is what I brought today.....Peanutbutter and honey sandwich on 12-grain bread; banana; apple; persimon; canned tuna (use spices and herbs); 1 cup mixed nuts; 1 cup vanilla yogurt; 500mL chocolate milk; 2 manderine oranges; 1/2 red pepper; lots of water