losing weight with a disability

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Becky. I'm 39. I have 2 children living at home with me aged 14 and 5.I have lost lots of weight before using a slimming club and a regular gym membership but now I have been registered as disabled due to severe Osteoarthritis in my knee and my walking is extremely limited. I need to lose lots of weight for health reasons and also for my confidence.
I used to walk miles with my dog until I was told how bad my arthritis was and have had to give up walking and also very sadly my dog. But I need ideas and inspiration to lose weight by diet only. I have a very sweet tooth. I need to beat the dreaded chocolate monster.

Replies

• thedogsmother
    Options
    Welcome to MFP hun, youve done this before so you know you can do it, I would get rid of all the high calorie treats, get a few low calorie ones, and include them in your calories so they are guilt free, its a lot nicer to have a treat youve saved your calories for. I find the first two weeks were the worst, after that the cravings were virtually non existant. Hopefully someone will be along to offer advice on some excercises that you can do that are suitable for you.
  • db8810
    db8810 Posts: 1
    Options
    Becky,
    I am disabled also from a car accident. I can not walk for any more than a few hundred yards. I recently got an exercise machine that has helped. It is called a Krankcycle. It is like a bicycle for your hands and upper body. I do not know if your disease will let you, but I have been able to burn lots of calories this way.
  • lavenderbecky
    Options
    The krankcycle sounds like an excellent idea. Im seeing my consultant in 2 weeks so I shall ask about that, thankyou :)
  • beargirl34sr
    Options
    Well I'm right there with you with the Osteoarthritis in my knee - had orthscopic surgery Sept 5th and my knee is worse know then before and have been diagnosed iwth Osteoarthritis....I used to jog and be very active and now just getting up from my chair at work or getting out of a car after sitting is painful to try and straighten my knee -

I believe I can do this...I have to tell myself that and you do to - there is no roadblock but the one in my head telling me how badly it hurts but am trying to find a way to shed the weight (have a big wedding in June for my brotherinlaw) and a 30 yr HS reunion!

I'm here for you if you need to chat or we can support eachother through this but just know that your not alone!!

I myself just joined! :smile:
  • yvonnemctear
    Options
    Hi, i`ve just joined this online group after being told about it, it`s fab, i`m 38, suffer badly with Rhuematoid Arthritis, especially in my knees, am stuck on crutches permanently, making any excercise very difficult, Several years ago, i had put on a few stone, mainly caused by depression/comfort eating, and saw a glimpse of myself in the mirror, hated what i saw, i made the decision there and then to lose weight, over the course of 8 months, i`d managed to lose 4 and a half stone, gone from a size 20 to a 14/16 through mostly diet alone. Though it was all healthy eating, all the fruit/veg and salads certainly made me feel so much better in myself, no tiredness, more energy etc... I`d bought one of these small cycle things, for my arms, and can sit on a sofa and try excercise my legs a bit with it, very difficult to start, but started to feel the benefit after a short while. I did manage to keep the weight off too, till i had my daughter last year, i`ve put weight on again, and are determined it will go...i`ve succeeded once, i know i can do it again, just takes that little bit longer when excercise isn`t really an option. I`d also recommend an airglider, Carl Lewis one is great, has a bar across the front, which i used to put most of my weight on, great support :-) very low impact on knees/joints, though i found it difficult, and was rarely up to using it, the times i did feel it helped burn some calories...Have only started this new diet a couple of days ago, I`m hoping to be back to the weight i was before pregnancy by the summer, i know i will succeed, and having tools and forums like this, will certainly help keep me on track, as i`m doing this alone...Oh, one more thing, the diet magazines out there, though can be expensive and have more advertisements than articles, helped me too, reading all the success stories is motivation to keep going yourself. Good luck with your diet/healthy eating, and success is just around the corner. :smile:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Becky. I'm 39. I have 2 children living at home with me aged 14 and 5.I have lost lots of weight before using a slimming club and a regular gym membership but now I have been registered as disabled due to severe Osteoarthritis in my knee and my walking is extremely limited. I need to lose lots of weight for health reasons and also for my confidence.
    I used to walk miles with my dog until I was told how bad my arthritis was and have had to give up walking and also very sadly my dog. But I need ideas and inspiration to lose weight by diet only. I have a very sweet tooth. I need to beat the dreaded chocolate monster.

It's such a shame you felt you had to give up your dog. I developed a neurological condition in my early 30's and already had a young border collie cross who was extremely energetic. I got a mobility scooter to walk her with, so she got a good walk every day as I could only walk very slowly with a stick. She soon learned to trot alongside the scooter and help me around the house picking her toys up.

I'm full time wheelchair user now, Inca will be 11 in a few weeks. Even though I don't really burn anything walking her cos I use scooter or chair it's just nice to get out for some fresh air and change of scenery from the four walls twice a day. I use a motorised exercise pedaller but that maybe difficult for you if your knees are your problem.

Can you get hydrotherapy or find a water exercise group in your area? I use wii and can do wii sports from sitting (tennis and boxing) and other games where it only tracks what your arms are doing so you don't have to be stood up.
  • yvonnemctear
    Options
    Also...food wise, i had a sweet tooth too, the cadbury`s highlights sachets were great, for the odd occassion when i needed my chocolate fix, and as an alternative to high calorie/sugar sweets, i had tictacs, and sugar free polos. Switching to healthier alternatives helped so much, swapping bacon for turkey rashers 26cals a slice, sausages for quorn sausages, wholemeal bread to nimble wholemeal etc, and high calorie crisps to things like french fries, treats that are under 90 cals.Sugar free jelly is ok too. I think finding the lower calorie healthier options to my favourite things helps so much, i don`t feel like i am denying myself a treat if i really want one.