Stop Cravings??

Options
Hi Everyone!

I need some help! I need a way to turn off my very unhealthy craving for sweets, Don't get me wrong, I love veggies, but I will choose a fat slice of cheescake over a vegetable, anyday!

Is there a food, a vitamin, ANYTHING, that will help turn that sweet switch off? Everytime I go on a diet, I fail because I cannot keep my mind off of sweets. I didn;t have this problem before my third child in which I ballooned up to 170+ pounds, from my previous 132 size 4.

All ideas or personal experiences are welcomed!! I hope to learn a lot from you and lose my remaining 30 lbs to get to my pre pregnancy weight!!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me is to completely cut out all refined sugars and packaged foods for a few weeks. Depending on how bad they are, I may need to keep them out for up to a month. Then I will slowly add back the stuff that I love back. The first few days without the extra sugar and chemicals can be pretty rough, but it does seem to help me. Don't know if it would work for anyone else.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Eating what I crave in moderation -- smaller portions and less frequency -- within my calorie, carb, fat, & protein goals.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I cut it out or I get the 100 cal packs.
  • jaimelynn2005
    Options
    I have been told, and have experienced that water is a natural appetite supressant. I love sweets too...and am used to being able to eat whatever I wanted up until this last yr or so it seems. I also crave things like fast food or carbs. I have found that whenever I feel a craving...I grab some nice COLD water and drink up!! It does help. And its completely free/cheap and easy, and has NO calories.

Side note...I have also read in a health magazine, that you are naturally burning more calories when you are NOT giving into a craving. (I am not 100% sure on this fact, maybe someone can clear this up?) But that helps me mentally...knowing that by not giving into my craving, I am burning more calories.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    This supplement combo helps ward off the cravings: Chromemate, B-Complex, and L-Glutamine. I read that on an Atkins site and it works for me. I take the combo every morning.
  • athaliah
    athaliah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Only thing that has worked for me so far is to go three weeks without ANY sweets. And don't cheat with having diet foods,sweetners or diet soda which are like so many times sweeter than regular foods.
    This resets your taste buds and makes it so you can enjoy the sweetness in fruits and veggies again. ( and the sugar overdose things just don't taste as good anymore, so you don't crave them. Its just getting over that first week or so that is a pain as your addicted to the sweetness).

Give it time.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    A pickle for me seems to help the cravings. BUT if I have to have some peanut M&M"s I do. I just have to remember they are 11 calories EACH. :) Oh, water as well.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    its a change for life. . . dont cut out what u love jus eat it in moderation :)
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sip on unsweetened hot tea all day long. For some reason this scratches the itch to snack on sweets. And there seem to be infinite flavors of tea available so you can switch it up.
  • Kris31280
    Options
    I'm a chocolate craver... after eating a big meal, I crave chocolate. I've found a few of ways to get around it.

#1. Learn my triggers. Heavy meals trigger me to crave chocolate, so I try to avoid the heavy meal.
    #2. Find a lower calorie substitute. Chocolate roasted almonds, for example, provide me that chocolate but not the calorie count. 2 small tootsie rolls do the same.
    #3. I am NEUROTIC about tracking my calories. If I'm thinking about a slice of cheesecake, I'll look up the amount of calories in the slice and ask myself if it really is worth the calorie hit. By keeping this in my forefront, I can usually talk myself out of the temptation.
  • mgottawa
    Options
    the 100 calorie bags of chocolate covered pretzels are what i got for when my chocolate cravings hit, I also try to keep jello low cal mousses in the fridge- made with skim milk and only 60 calories- they make a good alternative to eating actual chocolate
  • Johnnycell
    Options
    There is no majic pill or supplement that can stop a craving. You have to have discipline and stop eating those foods. Example, i stopped drinking sodas by ordering tea or water every time. After a couple weeks i did not crave soda any more. Diet Sodas have something in them that actually gets you addicted to them. its wierd. i dont even want a coke anymore.
    same with popcorn in the movies or other sweets.
    Dont get me wrong.... over the holidays there was a bunch of cake, cookies and pie in the office. I finally broke down afer smelling the food for over a week and I had a couple chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin pie but i washed it down with protein shake and got my butt to the gym to burn it off that day. You need to add protein to the sugar intake and then use that sugar as energy in the GYM the same day. I actually went up on the weight i was lifting during these two weeks of sugar binge because of the extra energy i had. but the sugar is bad for me so i cut it out again for the new year.
    the important thing is to consider this a cheat, include it in your calorie count for the day and move on. Try not to make it a habit to eat these foods or drinks and it will be easy to say no to them.