Hello! Advice please

Options
Hello everyone. I'm a 31 year old female and just getting back into working out after a 3-year hiatus. I've always been active, never been overweight, and am the most unfit I've ever been right now. We follow a traditional foods diet and eat pretty well. I just joined a gym almost 3 months ago after quitting when my daughter was born 3 years ago. For the first 2 months, I worked out 5 days a week doing spinning, elliptical, weights, pilates, and yoga and saw no results. A friend suggested MFP and I've been doing it almost 2 weeks. I have about 10 pounds to lose and really just want to tone and firm. I gained 2 pounds, then lost it, which is why my profile shows a loss, but I'm really just right where I started when I joined the gym. I'm working pretty hard at the gym and have now incorporated a kickboxing/cardio class that is killer. I'm feeling stronger, but am the same size. I guess my question is: am I eating too much or not enough? Should I aim for 1 pound a week or 1/2? At 1 pound/week MFP is allowing 1240 calories and I'm starving some days. However, since I'm not losing, I'm afraid to go for 1/2 pound a week and eat more calories. I'm still getting the hang of the way MFP works with net calories, etc. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It generally takes awhile to notice a downward trend due to weight fluctuations so I'd give it some time before you decide it's not working. However since you are hungry I don't see any reason not to up your calories a little. Even if you netted 1400 per day you'd still most likely be at a deficit. Since you don't have much to lose anyway .5 lbs/week is probably the best setting for you. I'd set it there and then give it a month before you decide nothing is happening, and keep in mind that with working out there's more going on than just weight. The main indicator of success ought to be how you feel and how your clothes fit.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I suggest setting it at 1/2lb per week weight loss and eat back your exercise calories. Your body might be holding onto anything it can as you seem to be working out a lot and not eating much over 1200. Remember 1200 is the bare minimum so eating more might actually help your weight loss.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you should eat more. and if you're starving your body is telling you to feed it. you're not losing because your body is hanging on to all that you do eat. and remember it isn't always quantity of calories, but quality of calories. so enough fruits/veggies, and "eating clean" whatever that phrase means to you, do that, lol
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I'm going to try to eat the calories and just keep working hard. I used to be able to get in shape so fast, but I think age is working against me here!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Instead of going all out for cardio at the gym, I'd see if you could incorporate some strength/ weight training in there. That will imporve your shape, and muscle will help you burn more calories, even at rest.
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting 2-3 times a week, abs almost every day, and have had a trainer show me some different things to do. I need some patience!