Physical Limitations and Dieting

Options
I recently had knee surgery Sept 5th and it was to have been a routine orthoscopic procedure but due to the extensive work done on my knee and now developing osteo-arthritis which has left me with a very painful and most times swollen knee I am very limited to any type of physical activity - this has not helped my weight at all.

I've always struggled with weight and was successful two years ago on a paid weightloss program - (the weighin's keep you in check) but cannot afford to go that route again,.

So my challenge is how to loose weight with minimal if no exercise? I used to be a runner and have now tipped the scales at 30lbs overweight.

I eat limited chicken and fish and no pork or red meat at all so my diet choices are challenging and boring at times -

Do you know of any good but very low impact exercise programs that have been helpful? With not being able to bounce around (limited to no stress on knee) i'm struggling with options.
I've tried biking but need to shake it up a bit -

Replies

• dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How about walking (outside) or an elliptical? Those are both low impact. When I lost weight before, all I did was walk.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What about swimming or some kind of water aerobics?
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's important to find an exercise you can within your limitations. However, if you follow MFP's recommended calorie limit, you will lose weight even without any exercise.
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest swimming too.
  • beargirl34sr
    Options
    Well swimming would be nice but living in the northern states(it's frozen lakes from Sept - May) it takes a gym membership and they are pretty spendy for those with pools. I can do limited walking and eliptical due to the arthritis - it feels good at the time but an hour afterwards I can barely bend my knee due to the fluid that builds up on the knee.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am trying my best to hold off a knee replacement because of my age. I had to give up running and cried for days sure I would just put the weight back on.

I tightened my diet way up, walked as much as I comfortably could, and swam as often as I could stand. I lost the last 40lbs which eased the pressure from my knee. I can't run, or jump, or do anything of any impact, but I am no longer crippled when I stand up, nor am I in constant pain, or a slave to knee injections.

It is difficult, but you CAN do it. You just have to be that much stricter with your diet because you don't have the option to exercise off a boatload of extra calories (unless you have access to a pool).

Good luck - you can do it!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sanson walk at hoem programs are very low impact to the joints and you can modify even what she requires. Good luck to yoU!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Many people lose weight without exercise. I am by no means discounting exercise. Exercise of course has many health benefits but it is not the main ingredient when it comes to weight loss. Diet is. I have read that weight loss is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. I lost my weight in 6 weeks without exercising.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have Grade 3 Osteoarthritis in both knee's, as well as torn meniscus in both knee's and a torn ACL in my left knee. I am facing total knee replacements at the end of my weightloss journey but for now I was custom fitted with 2 DonJoy OA knee braces and am on 3 pain meds as well as getting injection therapy in both knee's. I do all forms of exercise from the Pool to Strength training to cardio now. I do the treadmill sparingly because the pounding on my knee's in almost unbearable so for most of my cardio a stick with the elliptical. It is very forgiving on my knee's (nothing doesn't make my knee's hurt and ache, but the elliptical is the best cardio equipment for me to get a great calorie burn.) if you can't stand the pain then any aquatic therapy would be a great alternative, I lost 170 lbs. in the pool before I was able to support my own weight on land, so there is hope... Goodluck.......
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had surgery with pretty much all the same stuff. I have been doing upper and mid body workouts, as well as exercises using the hips. There are also recumbent ellipticals as well I can only do 10 minutes. If you are at home, you can do planks, crunches, leg lifts and and use resistance bands. If you Google 'legless exercises,' you'll find more.

The good news is that food is 80% of the battle. Just set up MFP, and let it rip. Good luck.
  • siobphan
    Options
    If you have cable, there is probably an exercise chanel that has a bunch of different programs - like pilates, zumba, etc. Just remember to modify. I have osteo in the knees, too, and I use the short runner knee brace and I am able to boot camp (with modification of course).

Good luck!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar knee issue - had it scoped last Feb and it still swells up every day. Steriod injections did nothing; synvisc helped a little. My doc recommended doing exercises to build up my thigh muscles to take the strain off of my knees; I use the resistance bands a lot and that seems to help. I don't do a lot of cardio, but I've lost about 20lb just by changing my eating habits. Make sure you ice it every day, whether you work out or not!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well swimming would be nice but living in the northern states(it's frozen lakes from Sept - May) it takes a gym membership and they are pretty spendy for those with pools. I can do limited walking and eliptical due to the arthritis - it feels good at the time but an hour afterwards I can barely bend my knee due to the fluid that builds up on the knee.

Oh I am so with you on the not hurting to bad while exercising, I pay big time afterwards but I found icing is your friend at that particular time. You can pick up an ice pack wrap that is reusable (just put it in the freezer when you get done and reuse) I ice my knee's down for 30-40 minutes after a workout, it does help.. I am not going to lie, even with all the pain meds and ice and whatnot there isn't alot that can cure bone on bone pain but 29 months ago I could barely walk and today I workout 6 days a week. Pain is my friend lol cause life is so much sweeter on this side of things... Again goodluck.......
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I broke my tibia last year and they did surgery twice. I had great results with the stationary bike and now use the elliptical (almost no stress on the knee at all for me) and stair climber (a little more stress on the knee but lots of good gluteal burn) and lots of weights for upper body as well. I think a little at a time to increase strength and flexibility, but my main focus is on food. Doctor told me losing weight is about 80 percent diet and only about 20 percent exercise. That made sense because I was hitting the stationary bike for hours per week and was actually gaining weight until I started tracking my calories on this site. Now I am using Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure with phenomenal results! So far I've lost a total of 32 pounds and have gone from 22s to 14s (which are loose yay!).

Good luck!!
  • beargirl34sr
    Options
    Many people lose weight without exercise. I am by no means discounting exercise. Exercise of course has many health benefits but it is not the main ingredient when it comes to weight loss. Diet is. I have read that weight loss is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. I lost my weight in 6 weeks without exercising.
  • beargirl34sr
    Options
    I have a very similar knee issue - had it scoped last Feb and it still swells up every day. Steriod injections did nothing; synvisc helped a little. My doc recommended doing exercises to build up my thigh muscles to take the strain off of my knees; I use the resistance bands a lot and that seems to help. I don't do a lot of cardio, but I've lost about 20lb just by changing my eating habits. Make sure you ice it every day, whether you work out or not!

Yea, I tried the steriod injection which used to work before the surgery but now the relief lasts only about 3-4 weeks then it was back to swelling...so, do you experience alot of pain when your extending your knee after you bend it while exercising? I am worried that if I keep forcing the bend that it will do more harm then good- I can say that my muscles in my thigh, calf, tendons are all sore pretty much all the time and it's probaby because I'm babying it but wow...it can really hurt some days...like I have cold frigid air blowing inside the knee -
  • ppenton
    ppenton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually had a knee replacment on 9/21/11 at the ripe young age of 46. Prior to that I was in your prediciment. I could only do water exercise or ride the recumberant bike. I keep trying to get back in the gym but I get sick (upper resp) every time I go. I did try the elliptical last time and it didn't hurt at all - it was very painful before.

I would suggest water exercise or keep riding the bike and add some upper body exercises to that. You can lose weight if you eat right and ride the bike - I did it.
  • carlarcapasso
    Options
    Hello,

While my injury has not called for any surgery injections were recommended. Last summer I was diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome. I have a softening of the tissue behind my knee cap and floating knee caps. They often pop out of place and I have to push them back in. I do not want to do injections until every last alternative has failed. It does limit my exercise. Jillian Michaels workouts are out of the question because the squats cause serious pain. While I am not overweight I know as I age it becomes a big possibility so I started running. I completed 3 months of physical therapy to build my thigh muscles. Today I do run but when my knee becomes sore I switch off to the eliptical machine. I can do a mile or two on there and stay pain free. Dr. says as long as I listen to what my body is telling me I should be ok.

Hope you are able to find alternatives.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I have arthritis too, I like eliptical but they do bother my knee. I found the rowing machine good because you use all your muscles and work on your forum and it doesn't take long to get tired (I give out before my knees kick in). But it's one of those things that you don't buy unless you like it. The only thing that doesn't bother my knee is arm weights, yoga, and hooping (I can do lots of tricks now).