DID YOU KNOW THEY CAN HIDE THIS FROM U?

Options
I was watching a little snippet from Comcast about Trans Fat etc... we all know Trans fat is bad. MFP doesn't even allow us 1 gram.... but did you know even though companies have to label if their product contains trans fat under a certain percentage, about half... they can still list it as 0g Trans Fat... Look in the INGREDIENTS for Partially hydroginated, Hydroginated and Shortening... <-- thats trans fat!!

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, I knew this. In the US, if a product contains 0.5g of trans fat or less per serving, they may say it has 0g of trans fat on the label and it can be marketed as such on the front of the package.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't even allow us 1 gram
    Don't worry. You can customize your settings so that you can eat more.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't count it if it's hiding.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Amen, brotha.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, I knew this. In the US, if a product contains 0.5g of trans fat or less per serving, they may say it has 0g of trans fat on the label and it can be marketed as such on the front of the package.
    This applies to all macros. Carbs, too.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

There is a similar law for gluten, soy, eggs, dairy, too...foods people are ALLERGIC to.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options

It's hidden in pizza, right ?? :bigsmile: Cause there's no ingredients on the Dominoes box so it must be all good stuff.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Calories can hide, too. If something has less than 4 calories per serving, it can legally be listed as 0 calories or 'calorie free'. Like the Walden Farms salad dressings. The nutritional info says '0 calories' but then if you look at the bottom, if says 'contains trace calories' meaning it just happened to be low enough that they were allowed to claim it was 0.

Although, at less than 4 calories per serving, as long as I'm not eating like 15 servings of 'whatever' I'm not really that concerned. LOL
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

It's hidden in pizza, right ?? :bigsmile: Cause there's no ingredients on the Dominoes box so it must be all good stuff.

Pft the only kind of pizza is a California Pizza Kitchen pizza and they are perfect with not a trace of trans fat.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    A government agency withholding information?!?! :noway: I'm SHOCKED!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

There is a similar law for gluten, soy, eggs, dairy, too...foods people are ALLERGIC to.

Even worse that some ingredients contain these but you wouldn't know it without the "This product contains ___". Maltodextrin, for example, is usually made from corn. MSG and guar gum are often made from soy as well.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    onoes.gif
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be don't eat anything that you have to check the ingredients list of.

Real food is what it is. I think the healthiest attitude you can have to food and eating is to only buy raw ingredients and cook it yourself.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Even worse that some ingredients contain these but you wouldn't know it without the "This product contains ___". Maltodextrin, for example, is usually made from corn. MSG and guar gum are often made from soy as well.

Yup.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A government agency withholding information?!?! :noway: I'm SHOCKED!

LMAO!
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a vegetable so eat as much as you want...
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think it unfortunately it is kind of normal, Fanta used fish gelatine, juices are cleared with gelatine so are some whines if I get it right. I am a vegetarian and google everything and look at the back of everything to see what is inside and I think they should have to label everything they put inside.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why would anyone want to eat more trans fats?