Still in awe that I am doing this!

Options
I did it!
After a recent health scare, I got on the scales and wrote down my weight.
At 5'2" and 336lbs and after having 6 children I decided enough was enough!
I started writing down what I eat and then found this site.
I don't really have a set goal weight other than to be healthy and be able to walk again and skate again.
I can walk, but not very far and am limited on what I do so I just stopped doing. I have had enough of the sidelines. I am watching what I eat and going to work on figuring out an exercise I can do without strain to my back and budget. I bet I can find something, somewhere!
Y'all take care.

Replies

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the choice to become healthy!!! This site is very supportive and everyone has a ton of helpful information.

Good luck on your journey!!!

:heart: J
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just eat healthy and take it slow! :drinker: A great (and free) exercise is walking/hiking with a friend...you get to chat plus burn calories! Also summer is coming up - so swimming is GREAT (and easy on your back)!!

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alyosha17
    alyosha17 Posts: 1
    Options
    Why hello.

Just spend all your money on horrible food you hate and then it will remove the temptation.

But that probably doesnt lend itself towards a healthy relationship with food. Which might explain why i dont lose much.
  • healthcounts
    Options
    walking is the best over all to start back in the fitness game. I have gotten really good benefits the weeks I have watched my calories and walked after dinner. Somedays I walk for a steady moderate to fast pace walk and other days leisure 20 minute walks. Mixing up based on how you are feeling, really helps.

I have lost 14 pounds in 7 weeks. Water and protein drinks with fresh fruit have been the way I manage to cut the extra calories and fat out. Atleast 8-10 glases of water a day.
    out. I also take vitamns every day to help get the added nutrients. Sleep...8 hours of beauty sleep works!

I know you can get to a small goal each day. I seek support from postive and encouraging friends
    when I need to hear good words.

Cleaning house and working in the yard over a easy hour or two will help burn aliitle more here and there.
    Stay positive and look for the little changes as they come...each step will move you in the right direction!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article from the April issue of First Magazine.

It interviewed three woman and how they walked to take the weight off. It was all part of a study showing that low intensity exercise is very beneficial for burning fat. (Not as many calories but ...well it was complicated...) ANYWAY...I learned something new from one of the women and thought you might be interested. The article talked about Tammy who was400# and now is 175 fore her to begin a walking routine is said "She built up stamina by taking her first steps in a therapy pool. Later, she moved outside using smatt tools such as a heart rate monitor and Nordic poles for balance and joint support."

It continues with more info about walking poles "For women who are just starting out on the get fit path, waking poles are a great tool, says Harvey B Simon MD authr of The No Sweat Exercise Plan. They help support the body's weight , which can improve balance and stability, as well as reduce pressure on joints by up to 25%. All in all, this makes walking feel easier. It goes onto say though that it helps tone the body and boos calore burn by 40%.

Well, I had never heard of walking poles but I wish I had when I was 183, post accident, and trying to exercise.

Good Luck!
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    Congrats!!! I feel in awe that I have stuck to it myself! It feels good! Keep up the great work!:wink:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    welcome! mfp is a great site with lots of wonderful people! we are all here to help you get to your goals of being healthy. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome to MFP
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day :bigsmile:

Remember that the longest journey starts with a single step.

You can do this.
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats. i did this last year and lost 30 pounds but gave up and gained it all back. learn from my mistake. this site is awesome:drinker: . stick with it and you will be so happy:happy:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to you and GOOD luck!!

I know what a daunting thing it can seem to have to lose a lot of weight. But just know that not only is it VERY possible but it doesn't have to take forever and you absolutely do not have to suffer to get there.

Let me know if I can help! :flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I wish you the best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yay! You've taken the first and most important step! You can do this and MFP is a really helpful tool to losing weight. When you start recording calories eaten each day and exercise you've done, you really see what you were doing that caused the weight gain and what you need to do to lose it. People always say, "Oh you will feel so much better," and I'm finding out that this really is true. Keep it up and have a great day!
  • bagaydina
    bagaydina Posts: 46
    Options
    Welcome! I was thinking about how did I get to weight I am now, I have never been that heavy. And then I realize if I put all the money spend on junk every day on the side in my piggy bank in about 6 months I can buy new dress or pants that actually smaller size so turns out you benefit both ways you save money and feel better and instead you spend on something that you feel good about and not guilty!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: