protein shakes...

Options
..... What are they all about?

I keep reading that loads of people have them but why? Surely if your eating healthy enough then you don't need them?

I just always thought they where just for body builders.

Replies

• MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Some people want more protein than MFP suggests, and it can be quite difficult to get enough with food alone. Shakes are a great alternative. Also, they're convenient when you've just finished a workout and want to refuel quickly or in the car on the way home.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This is for me personally only.

I don't generally eat enough protein to keep me full. Protein has been shown over and over again to be better at keeping you full longer - so......I eat them to keep me full and not thinking about food so I don't have to rely on "will power."

A watch out is you have to use them as a meal replacement or a replacement for a pretty high calorie snack as some of them can be high in calories (not all, but some - you just have to watch it).

If I were you, I'd research, research, research before deciding which to start and why. If you don't feel a need - don't add them!! Tons of people get by without them - you'll notice most of the posts are on what is the best tasting, etc.......because really, they aren't that tasty.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I drink them for breakfast. 1/2 banana sliced, 1/2 cup mixed berries, scoop of vanilla protein powder and 3/4 cup almond milk. The protein helps your muscles recover from working out but most importantly helps to keep me full.

It is true that bodybuilders and those trying to build a lof muscle will drink them after most workouts but they have other benefits as well!
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    Nope. I'm a little chubster and I use protein. lol

I use it as a meal supplement basically. I don't get enough protein in the foods I eat, so I use it as a vitamin supplement as well.
    I use GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's about 90 cals for one scoop.
    The protein keeps you feeling full longer.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1. Many people think MFP's protein levels are set quite low. A lot of places recommend at least 1g per lb of lean body mass. This can be hard for many people to obtain, especially with low calorie requirements.

2. If you are strength training, extra protein is useful to help repair muscles. It doesn't just have to be for bodybuilders (who focus on the size of muscle and how they look) but also for strength athletes who may want to build muscle for reasons other than just looks, and there's also the general population who may want to create more muscle to create a tighter look.

3. Protein is filling. Some people find a protein shake a great, low calorie way of curbing hunger between meals.

I use them as I'm trying to get at least 150g a day, this can be quite hard all through food, and a simple protein shake (24g protein for 110 calories) can really help me achieve this - and I'm not a bodybuilder, but I do a lot of strength training.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I use them because of my busy schedule. I have twin 4 year old girls and the mornings are just to stressful for me to sit down and eat breakfast. When I was not eating correctly I ALWAYS skipped breakfast. I also work some nights till 7 so that means I am not eating until after 8 and on those nights I drink a protein shake at work to replace a late night dinner. After having learned that doing that can actually harm my weight loss I was told to look at a meal replacement (protein shake) as a way of getting in that meal and for helping me stay full longer.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    This is for me personally only.

I don't generally eat enough protein to keep me full. Protein has been shown over and over again to be better at keeping you full longer - so......I eat them to keep me full and not thinking about food so I don't have to rely on "will power."

A watch out is you have to use them as a meal replacement or a replacement for a pretty high calorie snack as some of them can be high in calories (not all, but some - you just have to watch it).

If I were you, I'd research, research, research before deciding which to start and why. If you don't feel a need - don't add them!! Tons of people get by without them - you'll notice most of the posts are on what is the best tasting, etc.......because really, they aren't that tasty.

I agree with all of this. The type that I suggested in my previous post is pretty low cal AND it doesn't taste bad.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definately not just for body builders............

Not necessary if you are consuming the right amount & kinds of proteins (usually shooting for 1g/ pound of your target weight if your active/working out)

I have at least one protein shake every day, because protein is VERY good for you (in my uneducated opinion)...and because I personally find it hard to meet my protein goal without them. Im noticing it is easier to tone up with the added protein and Im not as sore from working out when I have a shake right after. (plus protein keeps me full way longer than anything else)

I have awesome recipes too! :wink:
  • karenann1989
    karenann1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like my protein shakes for breakfast when I don't have time to make anything else. They give me added energy and make me feel full longer. When looking for a protein shake, I make sure to buy the meal replacement instead of the supplement. Our body uses protein to increase our energy and fight fatigue, it's also promotes healing. I feel like adding one or two protein shakes to my daily diet gives me more of the good stuff that my body needs. I usually top off my shake with some type of fruit, that way I don't feel like I'm just drinking my meals. :smile: