How to stay motivated when you're feeling under the weather

Options
Long story short, some things have been going on in my personal life that leave me a little unhappy, primarily with my SO. We're working through the issues (mostly - that's a whole other story), but I find it really hard to stay motivated on being healthy and exercising when I'm feeling glum. I'm definitely an emotional eater, and when I'm unhappy I tend to spend my days lazing instead of getting up and getting active like I should.

So, any tips or advice for how to stay on a diet and/or workout regime when you just plain don't feel like doing anything?

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help you when you have the blues. Running does it for me. It’s hard to get on the tready when I’m in a funk, but I know it will be fine after I get started. Just force yourself; no if, ands or buts. Just do it…, you’ll feel better.
  • moody01
    moody01 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this. One thing that helped when I was going through my divorce was to think of my exercise time as my sorting out time. I set aside blocks to sort through my issues and as my "me" time. It kind of became sacred to me, to the point where I now almost resent my DH of ten years (I've remarried since then) going to the gym with me!
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    PP are so right. To start you just have to drag yourself in, but the emotional benefits of exercise are really worthwhile. Depression is so much more manageable for me when I'm exercising regularly.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to go with everyone else here. Exercise is my best mood lifter and I think eating better has really helped my mood as well. I am finding that if I overdo the junk food now I really do feel like crap physically and I get very sluggish mentally as well.

It's hard to get over that hump and get moving (when I started in September I couldn't handle more than 5 minutes on the elliptical) but once you do you will feel so much better.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Men :devil: I went through a break up :brokenheart: when I was just starting out on my weightloss/fitness path. It took a few weeks and it was so hard but I pushed on through and learned to use the emotions to spur me on. I personally found that no matter how much I didn't want to go to the gym once I go there everything was fine and I just cracked on and got on with it.

It's hard when you have so much else going on, the exercise should be good for a mood booster, and once you see your body start to change your mood will hit the skies :bigsmile:
  • Propspony
    Propspony Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I let myself wallow... but I have a deal that I have to WALK while I do it. I get my iPod, put on my playlist entitled "Comfort Music" and I go to the gym, walk around the track, (so I don't have to really pay attention to where I'm going) and I let myself feel it. An hour of walking gets rid of some of my nervous/unhappy body energy, and it lets my mind have the "sad" time. I'll feel a bit "blown out" by the end, and I've managed to spend an hour NOT eating, which is a big victory for me. (I'm also a HUUUGE emotional eater.)

When we're going through a rough time, sometimes the thought of going out and doing "cardio" is just too much of a mountain to climb, but walking is sort of a non-entity, so it's not nearly as threatening, but it still keeps you moving. Like horses, sometimes keeping our feet moving is the answer.

Keep us in the loop please.

In case you're interested, some of the stuff on my playlist (which I should TOTALLY call the "needs to wallow playlist") is:

Winter Song- Sara Bareillis
    Dust in the Wind - Kansas
    If - Bread
    Breathe - Natalie Imbruglia
    Sad Lisa - Cat Stevens
    Kylie From Connecticut - Ben Folds
    Only Hope - Switchfoot
    Mad World - Michael Andrews
    Midnight Radio - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    January Hymn - The Decemberists
    She Dreams in Blue - Josh Woodward
  • puzwuz1
    puzwuz1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I think about how I feel after I complete a really good exercise and have pushed myself to go to the gym when I have been in that similar situation in past relationships. I do completely understand where you are coming from and it does feel impossible to work up the energy in that situation to even think about going to the gym, but after going the first time I now use it for myself all the time. I use the workout as both a stress reliever and a time where I can clear my head so I can make the right decision in what is going on and not make a snap-judgement call. Hope this helps, but remember to keep your head up and know that you've got it in you to get up off the couch and let some steam out in a more productive manner. =)