Exercise classes: How much do you pay?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
Do you pay a monthly fee or a pay/class fee? What's a good rate?

I am interested in taking a Zumba class that is $4/class. That doesn't sound too bad until you think about it. It's 2 classes/week, so that's $32/month. I know to some that's not much, but it kind of is to me. The local health club offers all the exercise classes you want for $20/month, but they don't offer Zumba or a big variety. I have been doing home workouts only, so I am not sure what I should do.

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I pay $5 per 1 hour Zumba class and $10 for the 2 hour "Zumba Party" classes.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    $5 a class. They offer a month for like $45 but I really just go piloxing. Not a zumba fan so $5 a class isn't too bad since it's not a daily thing.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I pay 33.50 at my gym.... Which includes access to all the classes(Zumba, Spin, Yoga, Pilates, and Strength Classes) plus a pool/hot tub, cardio area and weights.

Is there a gym in the area that you could join that offers classes? It may be more worth it if you can do more then just classes.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Classes are included at every gym I've been a member of so I don't pay extra for them. However, when I've taught classes at rec centers and such where there isn't really a membership or when I offered them at our local art studio (Yes, I taught Pilates and Yoga in an art studio! Talk about awesome atmosphere!), I charged $5 per class or 3 classes for $12 since I would teach 3 different classes each night so they could stay and take multiple classes or if they wanted they could take 3 classes a week for $12. I also had a minimum of 5 people per class so that I knew I had enough money coming in to cover the costs of going up there. While it seems like a lot to you, there are costs associated with putting on a class like that besides just the instructors pay. Gyms or other spaces that are set up with a per class rate are charging the instructor to use their space so he/she isn't getting all of the money you are paying.
  • kellybug123
    Options
    I don't pay anything since I'm an instructor, but they charge $5 for a day pass and they are allowed to use all the equipment in the weight room also. Our monthly membership range from $28 a month for a single adult to $38 a month for a family. $5 a class for Zumba isn't that bad. I know some places that charge $7 a class. Oh and if they're a member all the classes are free.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    I think the gym is a better option if you are a frequent attender of these classes - you can get a basic membership at most gyms that includes access to classes at around $25 per month.
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I pay $100 a month for bootcamp. I can go up to 6 days a week and they offer 3 classes everyday but Saturday is only 1. If I go every day available it is just over $4.00 a workout :)
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Zumba classes I go to is $1.....check out local churches. And that's a donation...if you don't have it they don't make you leave
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Its included in my gym membership(24hourfitness). Around $28/mo. They have all types spin, bootcamp, zumba, shadowbox etc.

Btw, they have Zumba atleast 3x/week at my gym iirc.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you are going to go a lot the pass is the way to go, but I would say $4 - $5 per class is an average drop in rate for most places. Some places in the country it is a lot higher (New York, LA, etc.).