what do I do with calories burned

Options
I have seen a ton on this but am still very confused. MFP says my food calories should be 1200--yesterday I ate 1197 but I burned 675 which gave me a net of 522. Should my net be 1200 or is ok that my actual food was 1200? I want to make sure I am not overeating but I also want to make sure I am not under eating.

Replies

• racheldebuc
    racheldebuc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    im a liitle confused about this too.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is my take on it.... stick to consuming the 1200 calories, and look at the calories burned as a step closer to losing those lbs rather than "now I can eat 500 calories more!"... but now you have the option to "treat" yourself... not gorge. Consuming 1200 calories while also working out is a healthy amount if you're wanting to lose weight. I'd say treat yourself every now and again just so you don't get to the point where feel you have to gorge to fulfill yourself.

I hope that helps, I could be wrong.... but this is how I'm applying it....
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    There are millions of posts on this, and in my opinion I've concluded that it's best to listen to your body. When I burn a lot in p90x, I get hungrier... So I listen to my body. It it wants and needs fuel.. I feed it fuel. I consume roughly half of my exercise calories... Sometimes more and sometimes less of them but I never eat below 1200. And I usually end up netting around that because when I burn lots, I get hungry! I personally would try to net more in order to stay on track for a healthy, sustainable deficit. The bigger the deficit doesnt really equal bigger loss in the long run and will do more damage than good.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Eat them. MFP has already given you a HEALTHY deficit to lose weight. By exercising you are creating a larger deficit than is healthy for weight loss. Many people eat 50-75% of exercise calories to account for inaccuracies but they still eat them. It gets debated partly because people do not understand how MFP works. Most of us have heard that you exercise to burn calories in order to lose weight. On MFP, exercise is primarily for fitness and health. You should be able to lose weight without exercising if you stick to your given calories goal, so when you create a larger deficit it needs to be reduced some (though the obese can get away with a larger deficit for longer than the overweight). Bigger is not always better - it's My FITNESS Pal, focus on your health with a healthy deficit, don't get caught up in the whole idea of exercising purely to create as big a deficit as possible.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my NET calories are at least 1200. Less than that, and your body can't function properly. Your brain alone needs 600 calories a day just to function. Your organs needs additional calories to continue doing the work they do. Your brain and organs alone can easily eat up almost 1200 calories. If you exercise, you're burning up calories your body needs to function, and if you don't replace them, things don't work efficiently. This is why anorexics are in danger of organ failure (including the heart--Karen Carpenter had anorexia and died of heart failure).

There's a lot of talk on here about starvation mode--probably not the best terminology, because you don't have to be "starving" for it to happen. But basically, if your body is not getting enough fuel, it eventually starts to hold on to fat in order to make sure it has stores for future needs. The last thing you want when trying to lose weight is for your body to hold on to fat. If you feed your body well, though, it thinks, "I'm getting plenty, so I can let go of some of this stored-up fat!" This is why most of us are finding our weight loss is better when we eat MORE, not less.

Try making sure your net calories are at least 1200 and see what happens. Just make sure the calories are quality calories (not candy and sugar-laden stuff).

Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The bigger the deficit doesnt really equal bigger loss in the long run and will do more damage than good.

Yes. Bigger deficits can actually hinder weight loss, especially as you get closer to goal.
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree eat them - you don't need to eat them all but you should eat some back. It's been working great for me!!
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There are millions of posts on this, and in my opinion I've concluded that it's best to listen to your body. When I burn a lot in p90x, I get hungrier... So I listen to my body. It it wants and needs fuel.. I feed it fuel. I consume roughly half of my exercise calories... Sometimes more and sometimes less of them but I never eat below 1200. And I usually end up netting around that because when I burn lots, I get hungry! I personally would try to net more in order to stay on track for a healthy, sustainable deficit. The bigger the deficit doesnt really equal bigger loss in the long run and will do more damage than good.
    I do the same. I typically end up eating back about 1/2 of my exercise calories. If I don't, I tend to get really hungry over the course of a few days and next thing I know, I'm binge eating. Consuming 50% seems to keep me on track and I still lose weight.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my NET calories are at least 1200.

Good luck!

THIS^^^^
  • tami598
    Options
    This is very confusing. I never seem to eat as many calories as they say I should. I have kinda built my own plan. I eat healthy things.. fruit, vege's, beans, nuts, berries, yogurt, etc, and go to the gym. It's working. I'm not bored with the diet..and it doesn't really feel like a diet. Smaller portions of the right healthy food and I don't feel hungry, tons of water, the gym 2x a week and walking the other days. Ohh and vitamins.
  • jlryan123
    Options
    Thank you all so much. This information helps a lot. What I am getting is that I should eat some of them back and/or try to get to 1200 net calories while monitoring what my body needs. I am really excited about reaching my weight loss goals and just want to make sure I am not hurting myself one way or the other. Thanks again. The feedback helps so much.
  • adamsidea
    adamsidea Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    J dizzle, In response to our discussion earlier you are ok having a net of 522. As long as it is below the max you are ok. By exercising you are burning more calories. I did some research after we got off the phone and you are ok being below that amount. All it relates to is more calories burned towards each pound you are GOING TO LOSE. As long as that net number doesnt start getting too high you will be just fine. Keep kicking butt!!!!