New to MFP & thinking of joining ZUMBA, Suggestions??

Options
Hey guys! I just joined MFP and am getting married in Oct. I want to at least fit in a size 8 (im a 14 now) in 6 months (I feel as if Its impossible!!) There is a ZUMBA class held in my hometown and thinking of joining it. Any suggestions or tips?? I just need a little encouragement!

Replies

• KoriS
    KoriS Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zumba is AMAZING!! I started doing it a few months ago and I think I'm addicted! :) The workout is a blast, fast-paced with up-beat music. I've found it much easier to be consistent with my workouts since I've found something I love...exercising is no longer a chore for me! And, since starting Zumba, along with a good healthy diet, I've lost 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months. Focus on being healthy, you can do this! Congrats on getting married, and I'm sure you'll be a beautiful bride no matter what size dress you're wearing.

My question is, anyone know how to track calories burned in Zumba since it isn't listed in MFP activities??
  • Officersbride2b
    Options
    Awesome!! How many times do you attend the class? I am so excited to join but a little nervous as well. Thanks so much for the encouragement I def need it! :)
  • jezziebeth
    jezziebeth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely, definitely, definitely recommend Zumba. I took three classes a week faithfully for about 5 and half months and used MFP. I lost over 20 pounds and went from a size 12 to 8-10. The classes are super upbeat and the dances/moves are not difficult to learn. I look at it more as a dance class than anything. I hope that you enjoy the class!

Kori, the way I tracked how many calories I burned was using a heart rate monitor. On average, a single 60 minute Zumba class would help me burn 340-520 calories a class, depending on much of impact I did that day. On the days with higher calorie burn, I definitely went the extra mile in keeping my hear rate up.

I just entered Zumba under Cardio and list the calories burned.
  • Officersbride2b
    Options
    Thanks so much! I guess Im just not sure on how I feel around "skinny" girls lol. I know thats bratty of me, but my image of myself is terrible, and I feel ugly for even saying that. My goal is to be a 8.....and good thing is I have 10 months to accomplish this :)
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have the at home tapes and LOVE them! I substitute 3lb weights for the toning sticks.

Amy
  • KoriS
    Options
    I've been doing a class through a local fitness center once a week, and I have videos that the trainer made for me that I have been doing at home 2-3 days a week. The at-home is ok, but I definitely push myself harder when I'm in a class. I'm actually starting a new class tonight at a different fitness center, which will be twice a week, not sure if it is going to be as good as the one I've been doing, but it's free through my employer so I figure it's worth trying. I'll let you know how it goes.

One thing I love about the class is that it is women of all ages, weights, and fitness levels, so I don't feel self-conscious at all. Anyway, by the end of the first song we're all too out-of-breath and sweaty to care! Good luck!
  • KoriS
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I need to get a heart rate monitor. I've never used one before. Can you recommend a good/inexpensive one?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in 5 months by doing primarily Zumba (and hiking occasionally). And I'm 50 yo so my metabolism is likely slower than yours. If you also watch your diet you'll make it, and it's so much FUN.
  • Officersbride2b
    Options
    Thanks so much girls!!! I can and will do this....I just really need to keep my eye on the prize so to speak! =)
  • chelseyyy90
    chelseyyy90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE zumba. I started it a few months ago and used to stand in the back because I didnt want everybody to see me dancing but now im up front and know all the routines. Zumba gave me a lot of confidence that I was lacking. It definitely is a good and fun work out. The instructor can make or break the class though. Hope you find a good one :)
  • lsalyers1972
    Options
    i absolutely love Zumba.. Used to go to our fitness center, but because of my work schedule, thats hard some nights. So i ordered the dvds and they are amazing.. Dont get discouraged if you dont get it at first.. It takes a few sessions.. I could tell a difference in my clothes within a couple of weeks..
  • Officersbride2b
    Options
    I am so excited, you all made my day with all of the positive notes about it. (to the point I was on Zumba.com looking for the 'proper' ZUMBA attire) Im such a loser! :P I auctually had the Wii game to it and was sadly disappointed so I think thats where most of my eh IDK about all of this ZUMBA stuff is coming from!