Need help deciding

Options
HI,
I know to lose weight it takes both diet and exercise. I know that diet is very important. However, I do know where to spend most of my attention/money on. I eat fairly well. I have a very sensitive stomach so I just do not eat anything. My main problem is that I tend to eat out (alot) but not fast food. I generally sit down at resturants and share a meal and pick a chicken entree (etc). I am not as active and I think that may be my problem on why I am not losing consistenly. If you had the choice would you spend the bulk of your money and time on a nutrionist or personal trainer to jump start your weight loss journey? and why?(please):wink:

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Can I choose "none of the above?"

I would spend my money on a good pair of walking shoes, and a bunch of produce at the grocery store. You CAN do this! And you don't need to dole out money to someone to tell you that you need to eat less and exercise more.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    I saw your message about choosing whether to "spend the bulk or your money and time on a nutrionist or personal trainer to jump start your weight loss journey? and why?(please)"

and it really struck me. If you're gonna spend money, why are those your only options?

I suppose if I was only gonna choose one between those two, then you need to consider your primary goal. Is it to be HEALTHY or is it to LOSE WEIGHT.

If the former, I would choose a nutritionist. I have spent a lot of time studying nutrition and find that it is really the most important to being healthy. However, if you are primarily interested in losing weight and committed to recording your calories, a personal trainer would be able to get you a solid exercise routine. Then you just have to eat the right amount of calories to fuel your body and do the workouts, and you will lose weight
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Can I choose "none of the above?"

I would spend my money on a good pair of walking shoes, and a bunch of produce at the grocery store. You CAN do this! And you don't need to dole out money to someone to tell you that you need to eat less and exercise more.

^ Agreed! It's in the same mindset people use Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers - why pay money for something you can do for free? If you need the support, that's why MFP is here! :)
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think you need to spend money on either of those. All you need to do is a little research. Everything else can actually just be done at home. I completely agree with a pair of walking shoes.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Neither!!! is my answer as well... I am sure that as with most of us your goal is healthy living and not a quick fix. Do some research, bodybuilding.com has some awesome 12 week workout programs (for free), research, research, research and apply the info - enjoy the tools MFP has to offer and take advantage to the fullest.

I back the good pair of walking shoes idea.
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have paid money for both in the past. My nutritionist wrote a book, I could have saved a LOT of money if that book came out before I was dishing out the hourly fee. There are a ton of books that teach you about nutrition, the Tosca Rena books are great.

If you want nutrition to be super easy and you are strapped for time, consider a meal delivery service - but I don't think more than a session or two with a nutritionist has much value.

Personal trainers are great to set up a workout or help you do weights if you are like me and are intimidated by the people in the weight area at the gym. I find I enjoy group classes at the gym better than 1 on 1, and they are free!

Good luck, feel free to add me if you want to build your MFP support network!
  • JenSanders52
    Options
    I would recommend getting a good magazine subscription like Clean Eating or Cooking Light and get moving. Start small and keep upping the amount of activity you do! Start by walking or doing a workout video at home. The better you feel from exercising and eating right the more you will want to do it! In every issue of Clean Eating magazine there is a 2 week meal plan with the grocery lists already created for you. It is a great way to jump start a healthy diet and the magazine is chock full of amazingly tasty, healthy dishes. By trying a few out you'll discover new favorites and learn more about eating clean! Good luck!
  • pricanandblack
    pricanandblack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments/opinions. I do believe that I need to start slow and focus more on working out. I do tons of research already and there is so much information I get so overwhelm of where to start.I have plenty of fitness magazine that offers and suggest good advice/workouts. I am really going to start with the clean eating approach and walking. Thanks again!! :smile: