It is what it is PEOPLE!

Options

Replies

• TeresaWash
    Options
    Yes... but I think too many "create". I just adjust the quantity until I come close. It just rubbed me wrong today. I do LOVE MFP.
    If you don't want to clutter the database, you can create a new food and just not share it.

Oh, hmmmm... thanks. I didn't know that either.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. It would be great if there were MFP moderators whose sole purpose was to verify food entries or at least go in once in a while and delete ones that are way off. There really are a lot of super silly entries (like the 33-calorie slice of pizza mentioned earlier or other entries that are clearly hundreds of calories off).

One can dream :) Until then, double- and triple-check everything!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    For things like meats, cheeses, produce, etc. your best bet is to go with the MFP-entered listings - these ones *do not* have an asterisk next to the name, and are accurate. All of the foods listed with an asterisk are user-entered.
    [/quote]

Never knew that!! learn something new every day!!!! Thanks
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For things like meats, cheeses, produce, etc. your best bet is to go with the MFP-entered listings - these ones *do not* have an asterisk next to the name, and are accurate. All of the foods listed with an asterisk are user-entered.

Didn't know this gem, thanks for sharing!
  • Kelico528
    Options
    You think ALL pork chops are identical?
    Hardly, but I do thing. 1 oz of bone in pork chop should not vary by 200 calories. I'm funny that way.

Well if you're funny, then I'm funny, because I really want my cals to be as accurate as possible. I don't have that many calories to fool around with! 100 calories could mean the difference between me eating "enough" and not eating "enough" (maybe not starvation mode, but my BMR is only 1300).

If something seems wrong I usually compare it to another website. If I am getting several different "answers" from MFP, then I average out the number. I don't have that many calories to fool around with, so I want to be as accurate as possible!
  • TeresaWash
    Options

Didn't know this gem, thanks for sharing!

Ya... just went back to the food entries... this info will help a lot! Thanks!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I wish when people entered a food in the data base they would enter the correct info! You can shave off as many calories as you want people, but If you eat it... It is what it is, doesn't matter how many calories you entered.

Makes is a pain in the *kitten* to enter your food info!
    You are so right!
    And these same obese folks are the ones sniveling about their "results stalling" - lol

I always double check any foods that are not confirmed by more than 10 users. And after a while, you already know what foods contain, so when a kooky number comes up, a red flag waves STOP!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I wish when people entered a food in the data base they would enter the correct info! You can shave off as many calories as you want people, but If you eat it... It is what it is, doesn't matter how many calories you entered.

Makes is a pain in the *kitten* to enter your food info!
    You are so right!
    And these same obese folks are the ones sniveling about their "results stalling" - lol

I always double check any foods that are not confirmed by more than 10 users. And after a while, you already know what foods contain, so when a kooky number comes up, a red flag waves STOP!
    Really? Assuming that it's crazy obese people, and not honest mistakes or regional differences?
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by mere incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I think sometimes, people enter a guess in the database, and then share it, which is not a good way to go about things. Example: a few nights ago, wifey, kiddo, and I went to a seafood place near our home that we all like. They have a side dish of au gratin potatoes that is ridiculously good, so I went ahead and had some.

The database entry here on MFP for that dish from that restaurant was probably close in the calories department, with 300-ish calories in a small serving, but you'll NEVER convince me that the dish had no fat, what with the four different kinds of cheese in it.

How did I solve the problem? I went back to the database and found the highest-calorie, highest-fat au gratin potatoes recipe I could locate, and used it instead.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    When i get home from the grocery store, i scan all my items on my smart phone and put it in my items. then, when I eat them, i can just look them up and adjust for quantity.

Good for you and great idea; however, not everybody has a smart phone. I don't, so I count on the labels of the foods that I buy/use and in the database. So far so good, but I do understand the OP frustration and comment.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by mere incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I think sometimes, people enter a guess in the database, and then share it, which is not a good way to go about things. Example: a few nights ago, wifey, kiddo, and I went to a seafood place near our home that we all like. They have a side dish of au gratin potatoes that is ridiculously good, so I went ahead and had some.

The database entry here on MFP for that dish from that restaurant was probably close in the calories department, with 300-ish calories in a small serving, but you'll NEVER convince me that the dish had no fat, what with the four different kinds of cheese in it.

How did I solve the problem? I went back to the database and found the highest-calorie, highest-fat au gratin potatoes recipe I could locate, and used it instead.
    Very well put.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My point was - everything is an estimate. When you guess the weight of your food, you're estimating. No 2 pieces of meat or fruit will have exactly the same nutrients - so they're estimates. All the values in the database are estimates. Sometimes an erroneous entry is obvious - and you can correct it. But many entries have been made in genuine good faith - but errors do occur, and it pays to be sceptical. But they're all estimates.:wink:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. It would be great if there were MFP moderators whose sole purpose was to verify food entries or at least go in once in a while and delete ones that are way off. There really are a lot of super silly entries (like the 33-calorie slice of pizza mentioned earlier or other entries that are clearly hundreds of calories off).

One can dream :) Until then, double- and triple-check everything!

Everyone can help keep the numbers accurate. Just edit the ones that you see that are incorrect and presto! Fixed!
  • runner_girl77
    runner_girl77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I've done the same. Also, if I can't find the info. here then I do a generic web search and locate something as close to what I had as possible. I use that data and either enter it in (but keep it personal) OR just do a quick add and add-in the calories only.
  • NIKKIDDS2015
    NIKKIDDS2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but seriously why would you enter incorrect info?! Like someone else said it counts whether you write it down or not!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but seriously why would you enter incorrect info?! Like someone else said it counts whether you write it down or not!
    I invite you to read the comments for some ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Trying to enter 3 oz pork chop. Bone in.

I looked up like 7 of them and none of them came up right or even close.

I finally just looked it up on a "ligitimate" web site, and adjusted as close as I could.

(sorry... in a mood today!)

No sorries necessary...
    I gave up using the database and have been entering my own foods to my personal MFP account... I stick with Calorieking.com for accuracy by the ounce... Thank goodness I have it built up pretty good too because if Im not creating dishes at work (as a chef), Im creating at home...
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just scan the bar code in I do that or google the food at the restaurant and enter manually
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Ooooo...didn't know this... good to know... THANKS!
    Trying to enter 3 oz pork chop. Bone in.

I looked up like 7 of them and none of them came up right or even close.

I finally just looked it up on a "ligitimate" web site, and adjusted as close as I could.

(sorry... in a mood today!)

• tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

This is what I always look for and if there isn't an MFP entered item I verify either the package or another site like CalorieKing. I also enter my own but keep them private. I'm not sure why so many people find it necessary to "share" their entries.