Itchy Exercise, WTH??

Options
Have any of you even experienced INTENSE itching of the legs when doing things like walking or jogging outside? This is happening to me at random.

I went walking three times this week:
1st around neighborhood with dogs, no itch
2nd around neighborhood with dogs, intense itchiness began about 4 blocks in. Began at ankles, up gets upper inner thighs and hips. I could have clawed my legs off!
3rd in national park trails for 3 hours... NO ITCH

It gets so bad I literally had to stop and sit down. I hauled *kitten* back home and jumped in shower. It took about 10-15 minutes after I laid down to go away.

I wear no lotions as I have sensitive skin, no changes in laundry soap or other allergy triggers. This happens like 1 out of 5 times and it is awful!!!! Has it happened to you??

Replies

• skinnyjess15
    Options
    This happens to me!
  • rjmalovany
    rjmalovany Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    happens to me too. It's a real thing. I googled it a few years back and don't remember all the scientific details, but basically, when you are exerting your muscles (so, haven't used them in a while, are too cold, stiff, etc), your muscles can't keep up with the extra bloodflow and your brain thinks the surrounding skin is itchy. You aren't actually itchy, so scratching/lotions isn't going to help. it will go away with a little time and don't give up on exercise - It will actually help sooner than later.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Makes sense... thank you for your feedback! :)

happens to me too. It's a real thing. I googled it a few years back and don't remember all the scientific details, but basically, when you are exerting your muscles (so, haven't used them in a while, are too cold, stiff, etc), your muscles can't keep up with the extra bloodflow and your brain thinks the surrounding skin is itchy. You aren't actually itchy, so scratching/lotions isn't going to help. it will go away with a little time and don't give up on exercise - It will actually help sooner than later.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So annoying right!?!? Thanks Jess.
    This happens to me!