The mental mind game of running..help :)

Options
Happy New Year!!! I have asked for running help a few times here and gotten some great words of advice. I have been working out on average 5 days a week since July....Step, Body Works, Zumba, Kickboxing, spin, Hot Yoga....and completed a running class. I am up to running 30 mins straight which is huge for me since I thought I just might die during my running class when asked to run 3 mins :laugh:

I am signed up for a half marathon the end of February and better really step it up!!! I ran 30 mins on New Years day listening to my favorite music....gorgous day what more could you want...but all I can think of is, I have only run for 5 mins so far or how much longer? I need to change my mind set and maybe focus on the songs or getting to the next land mark.

What keeps you running????

Thanks ~ Judy

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I run 3 times per week, so it's not a monontous, everyday task I have to complete. I also only have 1 long run per week, so I only have 1 day per week where I have to focus on running long. I have 1 run of speed work with a 10 minute warm up, then speed work, then 10 minute cool down jog. That breaks it up because during the speed intervals, I have to be focused on going as fast as I can then I'm just glad for the slow run I get to catch my breath between sprints. The next run is either hills or drills. With hills, it can feel like a long run, but if you pick a good route, you see more scenery and it almost feels like a reward when you get to the top of the hill. With drills (buttkickers, high knees, bounding, etc.) it's self explanatory of how it doesn't get boring. Same warm up & cool down as sprint day, but with drills in between.

On the long runs, I try to not take the same routes. I don't run the same course on long runs as I do on the shorter ones. I'm training for my first half now too and it's amazing the new scenery I see when running a long run of 8 miles (my longest run right now) because I've never made it that far away from home on a run before.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am just so amazed that I can run that I keep doing it!

I use a running program on my iPhone (RunKeeper or iSmoothRun) to work towards specific goals, improving pace and so on. I use Tempo Magic to speed up the pace of my songs on faster runs. iSmoothRun also has a metronome, which I ran with for the first time today. I try not to always take the same route, but with it being dark right now, and snowy/icy on uncleared routes, I have to stick to the main streets, so there is not a lot of variation.

Sometimes I do my own thing, choosing the length of my runs, etc. and sometimes I use a training program to shake things up. I have a couple of events planned this year, which is a first for me. But then, I just started running last year, too.

Pam
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    The first 5ish minutes is the worst, your body is transitioning into exercise, your systems are being depleted as your aerobic "stuff" gets ready. I always look at my watch and think how the heck is it only 4 minutes?! Then I usually have another "ugh" point about 45 minutes in, then I'm good to go.

I can't run right now but when I was putting in more miles I would switch up my running playlist every time, I'd do fartlek work a lot (run fast to the next street light, then back off until the park a few blocks ahead, etc.) to keep myself entertained, try to meet up with my running friend every couple weeks, switch my route around, etc. Also the dog kept me motivated, I knew if I didn't get her tired enough she'd drive me crazy all day :)
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Change your playlist
    run a different route
    set a goal for each run to challenge urself
    enjoy the scenery
    run without music sometime

those are just some of the things i do to try to keep it interesting.
  • lorals05
    Options
    I have to have upbeat tunes. I've found that my feet keep going when the tunes are fast and upbeat. If a slow song comes on, I start to notice the distance I've gone or what muscles are starting to get tired....
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your gym has a running group. Having a running partner is great motivation to be out there, and the companionship makes the miles go by much faster.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I am going to go for a run today....sorry east coasters but it is HOT here I might get some color while I am out enjoying the outdoors...... On your mark get set GO..

Have a Great day
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    For me its the joy and running and accomplishing what I have accomplished. You will feel so incredible for what you have done and that makes it all worth it. I do listen to music when I run solo though. Find a running friend too!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just committed myself to my 3rd marathon in May - This is a huge step for me as I havent run in about a year.
    I do follow a running plan so I stay on track & make sure to get the right amount of mileage in - too many miles & you burn out. too few miles & you dont get the practice.
    For me - my motivation comes when I am actually out on my run. This morning I was exhausted - didnt sleep well last night & the last thing I wanted to do was go for a 4mile run at 6am. But... i had to. And about 5minutes in, I was feeling better.
    I tend to get in a "zone" where my feet just keep on going and I dont even have to think about what Im doing. It takes about a mile to get into that feeling. Once my body is warm & has accepted the fact that we have to run. HAHA.
    I actually dont switch up my playlists or my routes - I found that the more "distractions" of having to think about where Im going or "oooh. i like this song, I havent heard it in awhile" get me OUT of my zone & then I start thinking about the fact that Im running & im getting bored & kinda tired & "geez. how much longer do i have to go" :)
    the less my mind works while Im running, the better. HAHHA

Good luck - the only thing you really need in order to complete your marathon is the determination & mindset that you're GOING to do it! everything else is just extra
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    we have a St Judes calendar on the fridge. When i get lazy or need motivation i read one of those kids stories or think about the ESPN special about some kid that has twice the mental strength as me but no mobility. I know it sounds crazy but it helps me keep going at times when i feel like i cant go any further....then i think what if i had no choice. Or if you like the happier notes you can skim a MH or WH magazine and get motivated right before you run. i like music too but i also find myself thinking about certain things and then i am 2 miles down the road and had no clue what songs just played...
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    There are great ideas here and I am going to repeat a few that have really helped for me:

Join a running group (Don’t be intimidated! There are great groups out there and it is FUN!)
    Run in new places
    Run with others (and have a conversation)
    Commit to a target event
    Commit to a plan for the target event
    Change up the playlist often
    Mix up your work out

When I first returned to running in March, I had a really hard time staying motivated. I had a target event so I was kept trying but as much as I liked to run, I had a really hard time mentally getting into each work out. I learned that my biggest obstacle was me. The first mile or so was brutal, physically and mentally but then almost in an instant I would feel fantastic for the remainder of my run. Since my runs at the time were typically 2-3 miles, I was spending more than half my time locked in a battle with myself and I just wanted to give up. When I talked with running friends about it, they all said the same thing: If you love mile two, then you have to push through mile one to get there. Well, duh. Most also agreed that as I built my mileage and spent more miles in the zone I would find it easier to push through that first mile. I joined a running group to build mileage and have people to “push through” that horrible mile with and suddenly I was really enjoying my runs. With the enjoyment came the motivation and with motivation came even more miles, more time in the zone. My first mile is my weakest, but I don’t struggle with it like I did and while not every run is great, I have few problems finding motivation these days. Actually, I am pretty sure I am addicted to running. That isn’t something I ever thought would happen.