Why do I feel like this?

Options
I'm on day three of low carb diet and day two of meatless diet. I've cut out pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. As well as all meat. I still eat veggies and fruit though that have carbs, just no starchy foods or animal meat.

I was feeling fine the first two days but I really feel sick today. My brain feels a little fuzzy and I feel nauseous. I know I'm getting PLENTY of carbs from the veggies, fruit, milk, and nuts I'm eating, as well as the sugar I put in my coffee. I'm also eating plenty and my calorie counts are about the same as usual. So I'm not sure why my body is feeling this way. Has any one else experience this with a low carb or vegetarian diet? Any ideas on what I can do to make the feelings of nausea and fuzzy-brain go away?

Replies

• snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you should not have just cut it right out. you need to just cut down on it. and i would have just switched to turkey based meat. plus, don't fry meat. grill it. grilled chicken, grilled turkey. nothing fried. it's much better for you. you will still lose weight that way. i've been losing weight like you wouldn't believe doing that. plus i don't get fuzzy headed because i get enough to eat. Also, you need PROTEIN
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Your feelings are typical of those starting low carb diets. It goes away in a week or so for most people. Some people adapt quicker, some never adapt at all.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I won't consider any such fad diet changes until AFTER I reach my goals. That's too much to change while trying to lose weight.

All food groups are OK in proper proportion and in moderation.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Low carb AND meatless? Why????
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I was kind of wondering this myself. If you're making changes that you honestly think you can sustain then good for you but it's been my experience that the more extreme the change, the shorter the time that I can sustain it. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought eating meat was a staple of a low-carber
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I second this!

You are probably feeling awful because you have made such a drastic change.
  • gdjenn
    gdjenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It will pass... if you are a carb addict (like me), your body is adjusting. Best thing for me was more water and and sleep! Hang in there! It's not a fad, it's a lifestyle.
  • jhunt90
    jhunt90 Posts: 78
    Options
    Protein is super important to your body, you don't get enough from just nuts. You should try to have low fat kinds of meat instead of cutting it out completely
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    you should not have just cut it right out. you need to just cut down on it. and i would have just switched to turkey based meat. plus, don't fry meat. grill it. grilled chicken, grilled turkey. nothing fried. it's much better for you. you will still lose weight that way. i've been losing weight like you wouldn't believe doing that. plus i don't get fuzzy headed because i get enough to eat. Also, you need PROTEIN

I've been on the grilled chicken and lean turkey meat for quite a while now. I haven't been a red meat or pork eater in a couple of years. But for me, switching to NO MEAT is a moral choice, and not really about my weight loss journey. I stopped eating cows and pigs on a regular basis a couple years ago, every once in a while I'd have a bit of my boyfriend's ham or something, but for the most part cut out pork and beef from my diet. But I still feel guilty eating any animals, even chickens and turkeys, so I decided to finally do what I've been wanting to for the past few years, go meatless. I don't like the thought that an animal had to die for my meal. I know that's not everyone's choice, and I respect other people's decisions and choices when it comes to eating animals. But for me it's just not something I want to do anymore.

And of course, everyone needs protein. But there are a LOT of protein sources besides meat. I get plenty of protein with nuts, milk, beans, yogurt, peanut butter, etc.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three of low carb diet and day two of meatless diet. I've cut out pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. As well as all meat. I still eat veggies and fruit though that have carbs, just no starchy foods or animal meat.

I was feeling fine the first two days but I really feel sick today. My brain feels a little fuzzy and I feel nauseous. I know I'm getting PLENTY of carbs from the veggies, fruit, milk, and nuts I'm eating, as well as the sugar I put in my coffee. I'm also eating plenty and my calorie counts are about the same as usual. So I'm not sure why my body is feeling this way. Has any one else experience this with a low carb or vegetarian diet? Any ideas on what I can do to make the feelings of nausea and fuzzy-brain go away?

Sounds like detox from eating the starchy and processed foods.

Drink lots of water and herbal tea and it will go away anywhere between 2 and 7 days from now. You will know when it passes because you will get a burst of energy.

I do want to mention that you need to get some good protein sources (hemp protein, eggs, or add back in some meat of some type) or you are going to burn your muscle away and be left skinny fat.

Protein and fat in adequate amounts are needed to maintain or build muscle mass and burn fat.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I second this!

Drastic change has nothing to do with it. Geeesh, just because someone cuts out the processed foods from their eating plan it is always such a drastic change.

No, it is not drastic.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bump ... I've had this
  • Clarecbear82
    Options

I second this!

Drastic change has nothing to do with it. Geeesh, just because someone cuts out the processed foods from their eating plan it is always such a drastic change.

No, it is not drastic.

I ment it was drastic because she's done it all at once actually! Most people would do one then the other. No need to get on your high horse about it!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You're cutting out two out of three macros from your diet. Of course you're going to feel bad. A lot of good sources of vegetarian protein are grains and higher in carbs. Protein from nuts and milk alone isn't going to sustain you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'd faint if I cut out carbs and protein like that! They're essential building blocks of life and stuff.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    This actually isn't a drastic change for me, guys. For the most part the only meat I've eaten over the past couple of years has been lean turkey meat or chicken meat, and those where usually pretty small amounts when I did eat them. I wasn't much of a meat eater before this. As for those concerned with my protein. I drink a lot of milk, eat yogurt, nuts, beans, cabbage, broccoli, soy products, peanut butter - all are great non-meat sources of protein and I usually hit my daily protein goals (and often even go over).

The low carb thing is new for me. I'm hesitant even to call it low carb as I'm actually getting plenty of carbs, just not from foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. lol I've been keeping an eye on my macros and according to this site I'm getting plenty of carbs with the fruit, milk, veggies, etc. that I eat.

I think perhaps a couple of the responses you guys have made might right, my body is most likely just detoxing and that's probably why I'm feeling "off". I'm sure I'll be feeling better in a couple of days. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your body and brain are p*ssed off at you.
  • Clarecbear82
    Options
    This actually isn't a drastic change for me, guys. For the most part the only meat I've eaten over the past couple of years has been lean turkey meat or chicken meat, and those where usually pretty small amounts when I did eat them. I wasn't much of a meat eater before this. As for those concerned with my protein. I drink a lot of milk, eat yogurt, nuts, beans, cabbage, broccoli, soy products, peanut butter - all are great non-meat sources of protein and I usually hit my daily protein goals (and often even go over).

The low carb thing is new for me. I'm hesitant even to call it low carb as I'm actually getting plenty of carbs, just not from foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. lol I've been keeping an eye on my macros and according to this site I'm getting plenty of carbs with the fruit, milk, veggies, etc. that I eat.

I think perhaps a couple of the responses you guys have made might right, my body is most likely just detoxing and that's probably why I'm feeling "off". I'm sure I'll be feeling better in a couple of days. :)
    I think the way you worded your op made it sound like you went cold turkey (pardon the pun) on both. I don't eat much meat at all as I don't like it so giving it up would be nothing to me either
  • Meechity
    Meechity Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Hope you feel better soon. Kudos on cutting out the animal proteins, I'd actually watch iron more carefully. :)