AM Workouts Before Work - Do you eat??

Options
What do you eat in the morning? Before or after your workout?

What should I eat before a workout if I run in the AM?? 5:30-6am??

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I workout at least 3 days during the week before work (at the gym by 5:45am) and I typically have an English muffin w/pb on it or a hardboiled egg on top. I find my body likes carbs and protein to get me going before my workouts.

Some people might say for you to have a protein shake so that is another good option.
  • will180576
    will180576 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 hr before my workout, carbs plus protein (eg oats + protein powder) if bulking, at the moment aim is lose body fat so eggs and vegetables (eg 1 whole egg + 2 whites scrambled with some green beans or carrots or similar) pre workout. I find if I do not eat I Lose muscle like crazy. Your body is in a 'fasted state' on waking and so exercise is catabolic at this point. Sometimes I ill run on an empty stomach but only really occasionally.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I run in the AM before work and I do not eat (after playing with eating 1/2 a banana ahead of time). I found it makes me sick to my stomach.

So I run 5-6:30am get home shower, take DS to school and eat oatmeal or a smoothie at work along with my coffee around 8am.

There is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have half a banana before my run. Breakfast is a couple of hours later.

Pam
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As above, you have to do what works for you. I cannot eat before a workout or a run or I get queasy. I wait and eat about 30 minutes after I"m done. It works for me. So, listen to your own body and see what works. :smile:
  • annaliesag
    annaliesag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. If i'm going to run, I can't eat before I go for almost a hour or else I get sick. Same for a big workout, can't eat much just before. If it's a small workout or something at a very light pace - then i'm usually good to go. Since I also deal with low blood sugar issues, I find that it's good for me to have something ready to eat or make right after I work out. Either some fruit, a protein shake, etc.