Macros

Options
kag1526
kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
I hear alot of talk on here about making sure you hit your macros... well I haven't really thought about them and figured I would start learning some. Please help.

I am always off on mine... I'll make my diary public so people can see on here but I'm always over on protein by alot. Fat comes in close, I may be over a little or under by a little, carbs are always much lower.

Now I know I can change them but just changing them to what I normally feel like eating seems like I'm cheating. I know protein is good for building more muscle. My fats are a mix of healthy (breakfast with nuts and low fat cheese) and unhealthy (like today's panera bread dinner).

so how do I decide what macros are right for me?

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't know how one decides, but I randomly decided to eat in "the zone" without doing the zone. I do 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I mainly chose this approach because it was the absolute lowest that I could go on my carbs without hurting people.
  • will180576
    will180576 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and what is your exercise routine.determine these first then you can set macros stick to them and adjust if necessary.
  • kag1526
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight and build more muscle (not because I want to look all muscly, but to be strong and help with the weight)

For exercise I do the gym 3 days on 1 day off, I will do the elliptical or treadmill for 40 min then strength training - chest and arms, back, then lower body (and a bit of abs each day). I also play dance central and other things that I don't really think of as exercise but are just fun (although I will wear my HRM during them and log them still).
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight and build more muscle (not because I want to look all muscly, but to be strong and help with the weight)

For exercise I do the gym 3 days on 1 day off, I will do the elliptical or treadmill for 40 min then strength training - chest and arms, back, then lower body (and a bit of abs each day). I also play dance central and other things that I don't really think of as exercise but are just fun (although I will wear my HRM during them and log them still).

You will need to choose which one you want first, because building muscle calls for you to eat at a surplus. And to lose weight you would need to eat at a deficit.
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you search the boards for building muscle while losing weight, there are a million different opinions out there. My 2 cents would be to see how your body is responding. How long have you been trying to lose weight? Have you noticed that you are toning up as well? I personally was able to build a lot of muscle while losing weight, but it was a slow weight loss. My calorie deficit was set so I would lose about .5 lbs a week. This worked for me and now that Im at my goal, I have a lot of definition because of the strength training I did along with the cardio. Good luck!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think your macros look bad today.
    Going over on protein is completely fine, and healthy
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you search the boards for building muscle while losing weight, there are a million different opinions out there. My 2 cents would be to see how your body is responding. How long have you been trying to lose weight? Have you noticed that you are toning up as well? I personally was able to build a lot of muscle while losing weight, but it was a slow weight loss. My calorie deficit was set so I would lose about .5 lbs a week. This worked for me and now that Im at my goal, I have a lot of definition because of the strength training I did along with the cardio. Good luck!

you look really red/orange, is that normal?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You'll get different answers here simply because it comes down to your own preference. I use the guidelines of 1g protein and .4g fat for every lb of body weight. The remaining calories go to carbs or whatever I want. Otherwise referred to as IIFYM - If It Fits Your Macro's.

Requires some math obviously. 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein. 9 calories per gram of fat.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of different information out there on where your macros should be. Since MFP presets them at 55/15/30, its easy to go over on proteins and under on carbs depending on your menu. I originally adjusted mine to 50/20/30 which is a pretty good weight loss combo while conditioning in the gym to maintain muscle mass and tone. Now that I've achieved my weight loss goal and am more focused on body fat % and building strength, I've changed to a more protein rich 45/30/25, although I'm still at a calorie deficit. You can adjust around those numbers and be fine but just make sure you don't take fat intake any higher than 30%.

9114468.png
    Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
  • kag1526
    Options
    I would rather lose weight over gaining muscle. I just think I am doing a bit of both since I'm definitely getting strong with the weights. I didn't exercise at all until I started this a month ago.
  • kag1526
    Options
    I just played with the numbers and if I set it to what I tend to eat anyway it will be 45/30/25