Vegetarian.

Options
Hey guys! I am new to this whole thing and looking for some friends and advice! :)

I'm 22 years old I am looking to lose anywhere from 40 to 50 pounds. I am a huge advocate on eating healthy, but I am a vegetarian who is also allergic to mushrooms and I feel that it really limits my choices...... which sometimes leads me to eat not so healthy.

I was just curious to see how many other vegetarians there are out there, and what you suggest for meals and some fun recipes you may want to pass along!

Replies

• kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Join us in the Happy Herbivores group!
  • ashleygeex26
    ashleygeex26 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Will do!! thank you so much for the heads up
  • lackofnames3
    lackofnames3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian but I believe in eating meat sparingly! It is hard to diet when all the trainers at the gym want you to eat high protien and legumes apparently carry to many carbohydrates! Are you vegetarian for healthy reasons or animal rights? I knew some that ate fish? Im not sure what that is called...
  • ashleygeex26
    Options
    It's more of healthy reasons I guess... I just don't like meat. haha since i was a kid the texture and smell makes me nauseous. I have tried things like chicken and steak, but it makes me sick to my stomach.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 3 years, so feel free to add me and watch my diary! I love mushrooms but don't eat them frequently so you can see how another vegetarian eats. Unfortunately I don't live an organic or whole food lifestyle although I'd love to but let's face it.. I can't afford to.
  • kiely13
    kiely13 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 11...12 years. Meat just isn't really my thing. :] Oh, and I just plain don't like mushrooms! Feel free to add me.
  • dbrashers
    dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian since April of this year, and am slowly working my way to being a full veggie. :) I also think I am developing a minor food allergy to mushrooms (which sucks b/c I love them so much!). I know it can be really challenging to not binge on junk food, especially while eating out or at parties that only have food with meat in them. If you're not against eating eggs, I try to keep a carton of hard boiled eggs in my fridge to snack on whenever I get too hungry. The protein helps a ton! I also make myself a poached egg for dinner to help add more protein to my diet too. Good luck, and friend me if you want! :)
  • ashleygeex26
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!! I love eggs, that is one thing I don't think I could ever cut out of my diet.
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been a vegetarian for um, I guess 15 years. I just lost all desire to eat meat.
    My new favorite breakfast is Egg Florentine.
    In a frying pan put about 1/2 Tbl of olive oil. (you can use more if you need fat and calories or less if not)
    fry some small chucks of vegan sausage (optional) I like the 'sausage from Soy Boy, Smoked Tofu is also good in small cubes)
    Place 1/2 cup of hash browns (the kind you buy in a bag)
    1/2 cup of spinach (fresh or a lesser amount of frozen/thawed)
    break an egg on top.
    Cover and cook on low heat until egg is cooked. 4-7 minutes.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Yum.
    I also love bean burgers. Just mash up beans, some kind of filler (e.g. bread crumbs, oats), egg (to hold it together) and any other chopped veggies. Mix, Chill, form into patties then fry or bake. Also yum. I know this isn't really a recipe, but I don't cook with recipes much. I guess I will have to start if I'm going to count the calories.

Lunches are what give me trouble as I can't seem to get it together to make something before I leave for school/work. Mostly I eat peanut butter sandwiches.
    Daz
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. There are many different sorts of lentils and beans, who you can make so many different things of. Stews, soup, burgers ... :D
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If you stock up on some good spice mixes (I have little pots of various middle eastern and Indian spice mixes in the cupboards), you can add them to any old thing and have an interesting meal at the drop of a hat. Last night we had cannoli bean stew with tagine spice and quinoa.

You can add them to omelettes to make them more interesting too. The more spices you use the less salt you'll need.