A good exercise DVD.....help??

Options
I just started the weight war, I am counting calories with the fitness pal on my Iphone and I want a good DVD to workout to. Something that is simple yet shows progress in losing weight and getting fit. I love to dance and I know there are dvd's out there with dancing, does anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• funnyfitguy
    Options
    I'm no expert, but all of the Beachbody products seem to be top notch. If you are thinking dance, TurboFire and Chalean Extreme will probably be a good challenge. I'm not sure about the other DVDs. I've tried Insanity and pretty much the whole Tony Horton series and I was impressed with how challenging they are, but interesting enough to want to continue.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
  • Echosapa
    Echosapa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you want. I have an ankle injury and while I loved kickboxing and stuff before I hurt myself I can't do it now. I had someone suggest the Leslie Sansone dvd's which are low impact walking ones and I was surprised at how much I liked them (I have 7 of them now). With regards to dancing I have heard good things about Core and I am currently doing Zumba on the wii. Always fun to do the games because many will monitor your calories and you can always work on beating your last score. There are a bunch out there (just dance, dance dance revolution, etc) if your into that sort of thing.
  • mom2one76
    Options
    I have alot's of DVD workouts from Denise Austin walking to Pilates to weights plus I have Jillian Michaels Shred It and the Biggest Loser one. I love them all and it's nice to change them up!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Jari Love Extremely ripped
  • epa1112
    epa1112 Posts: 12
    Options
    i love The Firm
  • manni87
    manni87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred just 20 mins a day very effective!!
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    I workout using P90X and I LOVE it, awesome program
  • amandakrussell
    amandakrussell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have danced before for many, many years and don't laugh, but I love Tae Bo. His moves are simple and fun, and his attitude is the best part. He makes it really positive.

Jillian Michaels is a GOOD workout but she's tough and generally loud.

I hear good things about Kim Kardashian's workout DVDs.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    if you love dancing Zumba is alot of fun and you can get some good results you can google classes to join as well as getting video games and the dvd's you can friend me i love doing the dance stuff as well as jillian michaels and a ton of other stuff
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam (easier) and Turbo Fire (harder) have HUGE fun factors! Dance/club music with kickboxing type of moves and some dance moves. Those are both from Beachbody, but you can get them at Amazon or other fitness video websites.
  • Tweety379
    Options
    I like to dance to so I enjoy doing the dancing with the stars videos and there is some Billy Blanks Jr. dance videos that I tried sample of and ended up buying one. I haven't tried the full length version yet though.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. It was really difficult in the beginning, but by the time the first week was over, my endurance and strength were MUCH better, and I am losing inches all over!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I just started the weight war, I am counting calories with the fitness pal on my Iphone and I want a good DVD to workout to. Something that is simple yet shows progress in losing weight and getting fit. I love to dance and I know there are dvd's out there with dancing, does anyone have any suggestions??

What is your fitness level and what are your goals? Do you have any equipment at home, like dumbbells or a step? There is a HUGE variety of workouts on the market!

I would actually recommend that you go to collagevideo.com. They sell nothing but fitness videos. You can preview clips, read reviews, sort by instructor, fitness level and type of workout.

I also suggest checking out videofitness.com. They have a discussion forum there and talk almost exclusively about fitness DVDs. The community is super friendly and helpful.

There really isn't a one-size-fits-all recommendation for fitness videos. But, right now my favorite one right now is Amy Dixon's 'Breathless Body'. It's killer tough and I can burn 700+ calories in an hour. I'm actually one of the few people here that is NOT a fan of Jillian Michael's. I think she is popular and well-known because of her role in the Biggest Loser, but I think there are better, safer and more competent trainers out there. (Just my opinion) :-)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Check out the 10 minute solutions Fat Burning Dance Party with Jennifer Galardi. It's super fun and she is awesome at encouraging...I also do the 10 minute solutions kickboxing. My family leaves the room because once it starts, "MOMMY MEAN FACE" starts to show. The kids are 19 years old and they still don't like that person!

Both of these and a whole lot more stream on Netflix!
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    Zumba! I can't dance to save my life, but it's fun and it works!
  • Dmarten
    Dmarten Posts: 19
    Options
    Beach Bodys , Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs is the first set of DVDs I bought, after a back injury and the doc says no more kickboxing or tae bo. I really have enjoyed them, ( I get bored easily). I have the first and second set of hip hops abs. Just bought his newest hip hops abs dvd along with the Rocking Body series, I did the rocking body for the first time today, its ALOT of dancing , but easy to follow. I am not a dancer at all, but really do like these dvds. Good luck !!
  • Thompson82
    Thompson82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your directions, I found it all helpful.
  • CANCHICK73
    Options
    Hi,

If you have access to the Wii or Xbox Kinect. The Zumba and Just Dance Three are awesome. I am addicted to Just Dance Three for the Kinect. It's so much fun and I have to shower after as I've sweat so much. (Lol, I know TMI) I can't dance to save my life but at least at home I can pretend I can with no one watching.

Good Luck,
    Dawn
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Zumba! I absolutely love it! I would also recommend Kettleworx. Today was my first day and I can barely move, but I can already feel my muscles changing and becoming stronger.